All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Demo movie conversition
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:24 pm 
Expert
Expert

How do i covert the Demos i take in ET + TC:E so i can see them and edit them to make a video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

You need program called fraps, it will record whatever it is on your screen and save it as .avi file... I think...

Tactical Combat Force Member - <TCF>Heretic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:25 pm 
Mr. Dangerous

You CAN use this method :

Quote:
Just as the name implies this is going to be boring. You will have to select what game settings you want to record. If you use the highest settings possible, you're going to end up with a very short demo clip. If you want to stream a video clip, you may want to select a screen resolution and video settings that are much lower. This is because we are going to write screenshots for every single frame of your demo. The constraining factor you should keep in mind is the number of screenshots you want and the amount of storage space on your hard drive they will consume. For example, at 1024 x 768 resolution, each screenshot is ~2.3 Mb. Reducing screen resolution to 800 x 600 reduces the size by 40%, to ~1.4 Mb, so think about your (recorded FPS X minutes of demo X file size per screenshot) = space required, and you should get an idea of what you can physically record. Going to 300 x 200 will result in .tga files that are only 226 Kb each.

Now load up your demo. From the console, type \demo [demoname] to load the demo. [demoname] is the specific name of the demo we just recorded. Now type \cl_avidemo 30 (30 being the frames per second, this number can be changed to your preference but probably no lower than 30). To make things easier we can bind a button to this.

Here's a simple script to toggle the cl_avidemo function on and off:

//set demoAvi recording
set avion "cl_avidemo 30; set nextavi vstr avioff"
set avioff "cl_avidemo 0; set nextavi vstr avion"
set nextavi "vstr avion"
bind x "vstr nextavi"

Before you start this operation, you might want to first delete or move any screenshots currently in your target folder. The cl_avidemo function is now going to take a screenshot for every single frame of your demo. This will take some time depending on the size and length of your demo. After the demo has been complete, it should take you back to the main screen and we might as well just quit Q3:A now. Let's take a look in our screenshots directory and review our screenshots. If your using Paint Shop Pro you can simply look at the thumbnail and see which ones need to be deleted. If you want a free image viewer, you can download Irfanview. However, Irfanview cannot create .avi files.

You will probably see a few screenshots with the console screen since we started the recording while we were in the console. This goes back to the problem of "we should have bound a button to this". So either delete these or delete them all and bind a key to \cl_avidemo 30 and try again. The only editing that needs to be done to the .tga files is that it must be in 512 x 256 resolution, but only if you wish to do RoQ compiling. 512 x 256 was the only resolution tested by Worthless and it worked. I personally have never used RoQ so I cannot vouch for any other resolutions that might work.

Then you compile :
Quote:
Now I'm going to explain how to make an .avi file. We have a directory full of screenshots, all of which are in .tga format. That won't do while we try to make an .avi, so you can either go through each file individually and save as a .jpg or use Irfanview or Paint Shop Pro's Batch Conversion and save some time. Now that we have our .jpgs, let's make our .avi. Open up Paint Shop Pro, or your personal graphical editor, and go to File. Under File go down to Run Animation Shop. From there, go to File and find the Animation Wizard, because I truly don't know much about Paint Shop Pro. From my continuous plugs of PSP you would probably think that I actually liked the program. Nope, can't stand it but it does have some options that my personal Graphical Editor does not have. So it's either that or doing it the hard way.

I've used this method, it works well and doesn't have the frame rate hit associated with FRAPS. (which also works, but will have lower frame rates)
I used VirtualDub to compile my screenshots though. http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

Select>>> File/Open video file [use the file type fulldown] Select >> Image Sequence

**Warning** converting a demo to screenshots takes ALOT of diskspace.
Using the above script you will get 30 screenshots per SECOND, or about 1800 screenshots per min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks alot gator. ill try it out and see if it works for me. I have quite a few minutes of demos, but a fair percentige of them is not worth anything. Itll be a long and tedious task, but its better than using fraps i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:22 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

i used fraps. but it kills your fps and a 22 sec movie at half size was 53mb. try the other method and see how that does, otherwise you could try fraps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:05 am 
Expert
Expert

Im not using fraps. I dont like it, it lowers the frame rate during gameplay, making extremely choppy while you play. Basically you cant record while you play. you can spectate and record though. The demo recoding doesnt affect game play at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:17 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

yea, i mean record the demo, then replay it and record it with fraps later.

Last edited by H22aLude on Tue May 24, 2005 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:45 am 
Marksman
Marksman

thats a good idea Lude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:05 am 
Expert
Expert

Its so fustrating getting content. Just today i went on for a few minutes and had a killing streak of aproxamatly 10 ppl at least. Half the killsi some how owned them in groups of 2 or three. that would be a great movie by its self. But i didnt record it.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:15 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

yeah i do the same. when i decide i wanna make a demo i start recording and i suck. then i just play and i get mass amouts of back to back kills. maybe its cause i know im demoing and im not relaxed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

yup, i cant play to well and talk. But i have bad luck in general. So i blame my misfourtunes of not capturing pure ownage on that.

Post subject: ^^
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:27 am 
Marksman
Marksman

i used fraps for mine and everything was ok.. (all you have to do is lunching your demo and lets fraps recording)

note: you must click on 20fps in fraps if you want something good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:26 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

one consideration is if u have the server urself, or kno the admin, have the settings set for the sv_synchronousclients 1, from there u can demo it right from ur system, convert it to avi or mpeg...whatever.

other is ur svideo output back of ur vid card. record the game to a vcr, later, u can import the video, edit it with standard vid editing progies (adobe premire ) ..etc...far as i kno, performance should not be affected by svideo out. my old matrox g450 lagged my old sys when i had even the compotie ( rca ) out to a moniter....go fig. this method would need some kind of video in/vid capture card. the plus, wont lagg ur game, play with same settings...

good luk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:56 pm 
Master
Master

lol i like watching videos of ppl getting pwned :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:11 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

ownage is good! the messier, the better! =) they can make some great animatd avatars too =) muhahaha

nice with an external vcr, or cdr deck, u can get any stills, at later time, can focus on the game more.

he said beta!

greetz!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next