All times are UTC

Post subject: (concept idea) programming - interface / auto updates
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:58 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

im not a programmer/expert, i've never programmed something with C++,
but i wonder if its possible to costumize/modify/tweak the start screen when you open tcetest on your desktop.
when you open your tce, you'll see a popup window popping outta your dekstop, and you see all the files that are being loaded in the popup window.

but... why not make a cool looking eye candy popup, where you see TCE's logo on the front, and instead of seeing all the files being loaded,
there should be a loading bar, just like when you open games like warrock, kalonline ect. ect. you see a popup with a loading progress bar.
what i actually mean is a splash screen.

and also, if someone is installing the tce mod,
they should see a cool interface, instead of a boring grey window, with a standard window's progress bar.
what would be cool is, when someone is installing this mod, they should see a slide show of all TCE's concept art, while the mod is being installed.
"click this link about concept art"
http://www.truecombat.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=506

and what would be friggen awesome is,
automaticly updates of new tce patches/files/upgrades popping out in a popup window with a progress bar, evry time you open tcetest on your desktop, like in allot of online games.

this all will make tce look less like a mod made by amatures,
it really increases the "professionalism factor"

Last edited by Dragonathan on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

in all the games I play(except the really new ones) the install screns are exactly the same. the console when you start TC:E is fine IMO. the only variations I have seen between ET and Jedi knight: JEdi academy are the colours are different. I'd like to see an install screen like that of the Splinter Cell series and a few other games (the one that looks like silver XP) for TC:E but I don't plan on uninstalling it, so it won't affect me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:39 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it would be nice if devs allow people to minimize the screen when people are playing tce, so you can like still surf quikly through the internet, while the game is still running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:09 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Just a bit of reminders there. This game runs on the Quake3 Engine. All games that run on that engine load up the quake3 console first. The box that you see loading all those files is the Quake3 console. So far, I dont think you can get rid of that. All engines from IdSoftware, so far the msot current ones, have this. With exceptions of the Doom3 engine which after the console it shows another loading screen like most games of 2002 onwards.

To minimize the game, you need to use a program called ET minimizer, but I dont think it is still used or supported by the current version of the game or the mod.

Automatic updates requires a world/master srver strong enough to distribute hudreds of thousands of patches to the players around the owrld. That isnt affordable for a low budget, not to mention free, game. Instead they could have a built in news ticker that announces new patches. THe ET game source does have an automatic update notification, but you have to download and install manually. This is one of the reasons why XFire kicks Qtracker in the behind.

You know, TCE doesnt look amateur at all. No offense to the ETF team, but that is what amateur looks like. They excessively over cartoonized (I dont think this is a word) the game. Plus they even lack a well organized community. TCE however has two official communities, the installer doesnt matter even though it uses the traditional windows installer. If the kind of installer your looking is like the old Command and Conquer style installers, well that isnt as easy to make as it looks.

Last, the only way to get rid of these problems is to purchase engine lisences for other engines that dont have the start up console. Then purchase a really big and really powerful server to handle the auto patch download and install or every player in the world. The price? Well, its not something you or anyone of us can make in a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:41 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that with a lot of elbow grease you CAN customise teh console at startup...

then again, it could be a thing you do with the engine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:10 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Not really.. The engine uses the console to load things up. And its much faster than a conventional loadup screen which actually does the same but has all the additional loading screen graphics and animations that take more time to load. So, the plain underskeleton loading console of Quake3 is actually more effective and much faster than the standard eyecandy load screens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:28 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Reminder!! wrote:
and what would be friggen awesome is,
automaticly updates of new tce patches/files/upgrades popping out in a popup window with a progress bar, evry time you open tcetest on your desktop, like in allot of online games.
this all will make tce look less like a mod made by amatures,
it really increases the "professionalism factor"

if the devs added automatic update features, we dont have to wait ages again for 1 version,

it also come in handy if there are allot of bugs that needs to be fix,
and slight bit of map improvement, and new map updates,
so instead waiting 3 freaking years for 1 version,
they could update evry slight bit of improvements,
0.50.001, in the next month
0.50.015 in the next two months,
ect ect,

same thing like an mmorpg game... auto update
all i have to say is when this auto update is available, you will see less people whining about the release,
and this not a request, but a concept idea,

maybe its possible if you try to associate with k2 networks:
http://www.k2network.net/contact.php
http://www.k2network.net

theyre providing an update network for games such as warrock, knight online, MU online. ect. ect.
i doub that TT have to pay for it, because if K2 notice how the new version looks like, with all the professional stuff like HDR, and all those other features,
i think K2 wont charge TT anything, because the only thing they probably want is theyre company name in the game,
all i have to say that this auto update feature will bring TT to another step closer to the professional gaming scene,

REMEMBER ITS A CONCEPT IDEA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:32 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

TT would have to buy a highbandwith server to have an autoupdater that downloaded patches for everyone. Besides how hard is it to just go it yourself. Also, when you join a server with an outdated game it will tell you. As far as I know, ET has an autoupdater, but you need to use idsoftware's ftp to use it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:21 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

auto updaters suck. I tried tribes, I tried a trillion others, and they NEVER work. and it'd be too hard to put in.

hmmm... join OoC forums, dragon baned from TC:E main forums, inducted into OoC, dragon comes back, pattern pl0x?

and frankly, I'd rather manually patch, watch what happens, and even be able to downgrade if I want, than to have it fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The only game swith autoupdates that i find really usefull was Command and Conquer and every game in that franchise. The update works fast from the Westwood ftp really quick. Other than that I use Xfire to get patches for me automatically in such way I dont even notice it downloading patches. Plus there comes steam, it patches its games automatically saves you from having to sort through the hundreds of patches (v.1.0.1.0.1.0 which kinda looks like that) for a single game.