All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

first of all watch this video:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php? ... e&type=wmv

second of all,
did i ever said that bulletproof cant stop bullets or something?

you post something and made it look like i said that bullet proof wont stop the bullets or something
it wrote:
get a *i-need-a-broader-vocab* brain.
bulet proof=stops bullet.
bullet stopped=all energy put into car.
non bulletproof= flies right through.
simple grade 6 physics.
time to leave ECS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
it wrote:
I've seen footage of a car being hit by a .50 cal round, and frankly, it doesnt have enough power to move it an inch.

Dragonathan wrote:
probably bullet proof

no.. i think you should get a fu.king brain you stupid idiot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

1. trailer FOR A GAME. oops, did I say that OUT LOUD.
2. if you want I'll get that vid of a .50cal hitting a car (maybe it was just the gas tank...) and AFTER TAKING APART THREE CARS IN TWO WEEKS I KNOW that the average car is too flimsy to transfer any energy. and therefore, it will not move an inch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:51 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

blah blah and oh yeah, blah. What is going on now? fragments of walls? thats possible but not important. definetely not going to look good in ETengine as it does in BLACK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:04 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Xeno makes a good point.

And I edited the thread title because the word "invironment" was slowly making me insane. ;)

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

(I know I'm just beginner in this forum... that's why I'm already sorry about annoying stuff I could say) :?

Not sure if this reply could match with this topic (but I've read "Interactive Environment")

Well, not exacly the same stuff, but I was thinking about wooden shards sticking of the surface when you hit plank or doors... Like Soldier of Fortune 2... I know it's not important, and it's just detail, but it really feels like it's wood (plus it's cool... but that's only my opinion...)

The definitively bad point would be: how many entities will it spawn in the map if you're playing with 16 players in a sawmill ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:13 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Welcome to TCE.US

First of, the particles will be created and should disappear immediately or the game will suffer lag. Second, the engine cant create effects where the existing models are deformed. Last, the effect where splinters fly off is already incorporated in the game, try shooting at wood and youll see some bits of it come out, that is ofcourse if the settings are really high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:26 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Welcome to TCE.US
Second, the engine cant create effects where the existing models are deformed.

(thanks :D)
I wasn't thinking about modifying existing brushes (like the GeoMod does in Red Faction), I was thinking about spawning an entity how looked like wooden shard (just like the misc_model entity does). I thought it might be possible because the SOF2 engine is a slightly modified Quake 3 Engine… (I even wonder if it wasn't possible with the first Quake...but that's not the point anyway).

Thanks again for the answer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:11 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

even if it is possible, we are not permitted by law and agreement to make engine modifications only game modifications. Until they start using the GPLed QIII engine, they cant do anything about it. The thing is however, they will not use the GPL engine because it compromises the TC code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:37 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I wasn't talking about engine core modifications. I mean... it's just like spawning shells, bulletholes or trees... except its static and it looks like shards. I'm almost sure it's possible with game modification (Like the misc_model exemple, it's a part of the game code, not the engine core... just like everything spawned in a map except the World itself and the display)

Well, until the game code include the surface material, it can be done without any EXE modifications I guess... :?

But I might be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:01 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Those do exist, but since they are made of poly and cause rendering loads, they have to be removed almost immediately to ensure smooth fluid gameplay. Remember this is a multiplayer game. In SP, it is not a problem to have these and extra effects and eyecandy, but in multiplayer a little eyecandy could be too much lag to make the game playable especially for low-end users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:48 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

first off, thanks for staying cool. I agree that details would be nice, but it may not work due to lag (Wolfenstien: the frontline has some of this, and I find it slightly laggy) but if it were available as a higher quality I would go for it.

/me prays for GPL-ation...ness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:54 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

BTW, Where is the Frontlines? Never heard from it in the past few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:11 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Sorry, it will be long. I've been thinking a little about details (I do amaze myself sometimes :D) and I've read a few things here and there on the forum, most of the ideas are about visual enhancement.

I remember that a guy in our team wasn't playing, simply standing at spawn point (was he eating, I don't know). I wasn't very far of the spawn point neither but when I heard "I'm taking fire" from that guy, I understood that an enemy was at our spawn point, right behind my back… and this call saved me.

I've read the dragonathan map idea (jungle/ruins themed), and I thought my anecdote could be applied here. You're in a jungle; there are many things you can hear, water moves, the wind in the leaves and various sorts of birds. Then imagine someone's moving and afraid birds, you might hear them flying, giving you information on players moves.

Of curse there are foot steps, fences hit and doors moves. But… Maybe could it be possible to adapt that kind of ideas to other maps. Like door alarms, splash sounds when you step in water puddle, barking dogs (I thought this sample was annoying, because looped and useless, but if it could tell me there's someone near this fence, it would be helpful), doors chimes, metal detector…

I think (it's just my opinion) that we could gain immersive feeling if the maps were more "alive", responding to player actions in various ways (not simply sounds, might be lightening or moves). Until now, maps look like playgrounds, or massive sculptures. I don't feel like someone else used to live in there. (I do not try to complain, I really enjoy playing TC:E when I've got time, these are just ideas I've got -- and other people may have long time before I)

(thanks for reading, that was long, sorry again)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:06 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

as was said before, anyother effects dont have to be integrated into the game itself. These minor effects as you mentioned can be modeled by the mapper into his/her map to his/her liking

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7