All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Knifing In T:CE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:58 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

In every FPS that has a knife, you almost always have a primary slash, and a secondary stab. I believe TC:E can do much better...

In all my my gaming days i have never seen a sweeter melee combat system than that of EON, a ut2004 mod made by the famous Corona Leonis Entertainment. Unfortunatly EON was never completed, and by the looks of it, it may never be.

If any of you have UTK4, please download the alpha version of EON at:

http://www.coronaleonis.com/eon/main.html

and try out their melee system. Hopefully, youll get what i mean about how cool it is.

For those of you that dont have ut2004, ill try to explain it. In the bottom center of the screen there is a circle split into 8 equal sections like one would cut a pie. To swing your sword (in TC:E's case a knife) you simply hold down the right mouse button and drag the corsor into one of the sections of the circle. Your hand then swings the sword in the direction you dragged (dependant on what section of the circle you dragged over). When the right mouse button is held down and your in the process of dragging the cursor over a section, the camera locks in that direction, but still alows you strafe and move forwards and backwards.

Since the beginning of TC:E the creators have always asked for great original ideas and i hope you come to the agreement with me that this is one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:22 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Ripping off a concept from another game or mod doesn't qualify as an original idea, imho. Besides, I think knifing in TC:E doesn't deserve so much developing effort. The way things are now, knifing in TC:E is nothing but a tribute to old games. It is very hard to run out of ammo in TC:E, and even if you do, you can likely find some dead guy's weapon on the ground and pick it up. The only practical use of knifing is the humiliation of inferior opponents.

However, I like the general idea of "natural movement" control interfaces. Maybe there are other applications of a clever inteferface based on mouse-motion, for example advanced grenade throws e.g. (underhand toss, roll on ground, toss around a corner, etc), or alternative ways to fire weapons (e.g. suppressive fire around corners or over obstacles, without exposing yourself).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:15 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

that EON is a good looking game, too bad i dont have ut2k4 to try it.
interesting idea, perhaps they could also make it so that the longer u hold down the attack button the stronger slash, or stab you get.
at any rate, i do indeed love knifing, and the only request i'd like to see put into tce is that u can RUN & SLASH! at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:45 am 
High Master
High Master

Honestly, I think knives are fine the way they are. They should only be used as an absolute last ditch weapon, or to take someone out from behind quietly. That should be about the extent of it.

As for running and stabbing, I don't like it. The knife is powerful enough as it is, and firearms are difficult to use in close quarters due to the zoom while aiming. Remember the knife ninja's from the earlier days of TCE? Not fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:49 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Lost wrote:
...perhaps they could also make it so that the longer u hold down the attack button the stronger slash, or stab you get....

Thats actually in the EON games melee system, the furthur you drag the cursor from the center of the circle before letting go, the stronger you slash.

I apologize for using the word "original", what i meant was that it hasnt been used almost at all, only once in EON from what ive seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:20 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Yea I have to say that there are no problems with the knife.

In TC:E , If you can get in close enough to use the knife, then you're lucky. You never really get to the point of facing 1 on 1 with knives, unless a challenge has been issued and then, well, its on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:32 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

running knife just makes sense please consider it

and close quaters fighting should be hard on those with a gun its not easy to adjust to the fact that an opponent has surprised you from behind with a knife and it should not be

There are times in life when you think you could just . . .
rebuild the earth and leave out the bad parts,
but that wouldn't leave much
and this isn't one of those times . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:33 am 
Marksman
Marksman

i dunno about you guys but i own with knife.

i have a demo somewhere with me getting like 9 knife kills in a row dying only 2 times in between on bodycount.

its not hard at all.

you just have to have perfect timing.

My favorite spots are snow and village

village as a spec ops on bodycount

snow as spec ops on objective.

you rush up stairs on the left,

have 2 people cover you, you flashbang, run in and knife like crazy.

one time i got 4 people in 1 room.

remmber DONT EVER, EVER aim knife in front unless you are in a bad situation.

always knife in the back, also if they crouch and walk in leaning to an area you have to be at exact same angle otherwise it wont work.

its a bug, like the shooting down to the ground with the shotgun.

anyways time for me to go, i love this site.

im spreading this game around.

as soon as its a mac port, i could probably have about 30 people on it instantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:57 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

i think they could work on it a little. ive sat behind someone slicing way at them for about 7 seconds and they finally turn around and as they do my knife finally slices them once and they shoot me and i die and they are barely wounded. my ping is 50 so its not connection incase you were wondering. i just dont think it should take like 20 slices and you only hit them once or twice. however sometimes it only takes one (from behind), one slice, one hit. just my .02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:07 am 
Expert
Expert

I usually get a backstab kill in one chop...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:21 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

i do to, but if its not directly behind them, sometimes its take A LOT of slices until it finally hits them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 am 
Expert
Expert

no, it takes a while for the model to collapse on to the ground. Between lag, and timing it looks like they still might be dead, but in reality they are already dead and in the process of hitting the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:23 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

i mean im sitting there slicing away, nothing hits them, you can hear when it hits them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:37 am 
High Master
High Master

Sounds like you just need to get a little bit closer next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:39 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Ive gotten as close as i could, i also tried not as close as possible thinking it might go thru them like bullets do sometimes if you are too close. Same outcome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next