All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why devs why
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:16 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I want to hear an explanation why the devs killed this awesome game, ive been trying to find a game that would make me feel the same way as this did and guess what. No cheese.

Thats 4 years without TCE now for me, i miss the action and the atmosphere of the game, counter strike sucks, call of duty sucks, battlefield sucks, insurgency is decent but every *i-need-a-broader-vocab* game sucks monkeyballs compared to this.

TCE had an awesome future, it could be one of the most played f2p games today IF you would have given the rights and the code to carry this thing on, OR just made the 0.50 patch you once so eagerly promised to us. Me and alot of other people would actually pay for this game to be carried on like it deserved to.

The game was few minor bugfixes away from being perfect, and then you just *i-need-a-broader-vocab* dump it? Seriously i wonder what the hell went through your mind at that moment, i get it blabla you didn't have time, there would have been tens, maybe even hundreds who would have loved to continue to develop and update the game and you didn't care.

Missing tce (c) revo

Post subject: Re: Why devs why
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 pm 
Master
Master

(Don't know 100% the truth, but just my 2 cents)

TC is a non-profit project that was done in free time. If you have ever developed software or video games in your free time, you will know how much effort it actually requires to get shit running properly, even so called "weekend projects". People get busy, as Coroner for example who still shows up once a half-year to say "Hey guys, I haven't hanged myself, life is busy", Bruce who showed up to say that life has been busy, Liquid who actually works on much more "real" game projects for a living. True Combat is large, no doubt about that. In fact, True Combat is so large, it has probably inspired the whole Call of Duty franchise and many other modern military shooters, so keeping it non-profit is not as easy as it may seem.
Then I've heard that there was some major data loss from some of the developers, which eventually led to a decision halt True Combat development. Then there's of course the problems of working as a team - one man steps down, the whole system can break in minutes. Motivation loss is also a very large factor - the auditory for the vision of TC that Coroner has is not that large to be honest.

Game development is most definitely not easy. Even if doing it as a non-profit fun project, it consumes a lot of time and can be exhausting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:09 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

TCE 0.50 in 2007... it would be enough to move on ... Linux, MAC and Windows ... the world turns ... Urban Terror 4.2 is a simple, very practical and functional game. =)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:32 am 
Master
Master

first step would be releasing unlocked cqb coroner ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:52 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Quote:
No cheese.

I'm here!! Only a bit sleepy perhaps. =D

Quote:
Urban Terror 4.2 is a simple, very practical and functional game.

LOL... and nothing like TCE at all. I even bought Insurgency because some people on this forum claimed it was TCE alike. Unfortunately it was not :(

Anyway, isn't it more than just the development of TCE that stopped? TCE has always been like scripting-this, scripting-that (or at least players being accused of being totally scripted), c-space-space ( which is a game exploit IMHO ) became accepted, trick jumping wherever they can, whenever they can( but jumping into the boiler is still a no-go :?: ) and I probably forgot quite a few things.

I don't say I am always the most inspiring player, but it seems the last few players who do play TCE play it for their own fun. Especially this kill + forcetapout-command became popular lately. Which is only funny for the few who do it, not for those who actually want to have a nice match. Too bad the admins/refs don't care and even do it themselves.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 am 
Expert
Expert

revo wrote:
I want to hear an explanation why the devs killed this awesome game, ive been trying to find a game that would make me feel the same way as this did and guess what. No cheese.

Thats 4 years without TCE now for me, i miss the action and the atmosphere of the game, counter strike sucks, call of duty sucks, battlefield sucks, insurgency is decent but every *i-need-a-broader-vocab* game sucks monkeyballs compared to this.

TCE had an awesome future, it could be one of the most played f2p games today IF you would have given the rights and the code to carry this thing on, OR just made the 0.50 patch you once so eagerly promised to us. Me and alot of other people would actually pay for this game to be carried on like it deserved to.

The game was few minor bugfixes away from being perfect, and then you just *i-need-a-broader-vocab* dump it? Seriously i wonder what the hell went through your mind at that moment, i get it blabla you didn't have time, there would have been tens, maybe even hundreds who would have loved to continue to develop and update the game and you didn't care.

Missing tce (c) revo

You answered your own question.
Though that is likely not the only reason, I think it's the major one. Some might speculate that the game would have survived if it had been open source but you can only guess at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:26 am 
Master
Master

[broken record] it would have survived longer with open cqb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

But if TCE or CQB goes open, are there in this community some other coders(not Coroner), who are familiar with idTech 3?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:34 pm 
Expert
Expert

yks wrote:
But if TCE or CQB goes open, are there in this community some other coders(not Coroner), who are familiar with idTech 3?

There was, way back when this project was still being actively developed. As of right now, probably not too many around but they've probably given up hope at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:06 pm 
Master
Master

Instead of 0.50 - Tc:e was shelved for dead end projects, there was a coder who was working on the TC standalone for Coroner, But Coroner has gone completely awol and shown no intrest in coming back or fulfilling his promises.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:08 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I think the coroner is working to CQB as promised and his silence does not prevent others to work on their parts.
Maybe the problem is that managing a team and especially the relationships between the members is very tiring and consumes a lot of time.
I don't think that's CQB had not progress because it is done in the free time. We can always find a little time if we are motivated. Personally I stopped playing and to have the lunch break for develop something.
Anyway I think that the most important thing is that coroner does not "destroy something beautiful".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:48 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

This has been a topic that has been around for more than a decade regarding TC versions. The response has been the same in those 10 years, so I really have no idea why people are posting new topics and basically beating a dead horse on this subject.

To state it a final time:

The people who contributed to TC officially are busy and/or have moved on to other things. The main coder is also insanely busy as he has a career, etc.

Why doesn't he just give the code over to people so the game doesn't die? That is his decision and his alone to make since it is his property and the result of 15 years work. It was a free game worked on for fun. Many people played the game for many years. Although it sucks that there was no further development for it, it was free to us, the players, and we have no right to feel entitled, or to harass and beg, for more.

TCE has not been in development for over 7 years. It is time to move on.

The have been other TC projects within those 7 years that weren't well received or supported via the alphas. Will there be more in the future? Possibly. But that is not up to me, to you, to anyone except the creator of the game.

There was possible talk of an unlocked CQB version featuring community content. Will that ever come to fruition? Again, that is a possibility that only the future will reveal.

In the future, please reference older threads because as I've stated, nothing has changed in several years due to the same reason as it's always been (stated above).

The bottom line: it's highly unlikely that anyone will get the code for Truecombat because the creator has no obligation to hand his work over. Some official dev members have already shared their model/map sources to the community, and that was very nice of them (and can be found on other threads on these forums).

If you would like to contribute to Truecombat, you can via maps, models, etc. and by playing the game and supporting any possible future alphas.

Thank you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]