All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:56 pm 
Master
Master

IdTech 2 has been moddded for ages. It's kind of strange that the most graphically advanced thing we get on idTech 3 is Call of Duty, while idTech 2 gets Berserker@Quake 2, Overdose and some other awesomeness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:09 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Overdose looks promising and I really hope they are able to finish it at one point. It looked promising many years ago too, I even dowloaded the SDK/source years ago. Love that they have a strong emphazis on sound, too.

If you guys think about Q2-based engines, I would have a look at Xonotic (former Nexuiz). They use the Darkplaces engine and its Win, Linux, and Mac, stable. Editing is GTK based. It also has proven Multiplayer capabilities. It is a published and well received project.

As a sidenote, my requested features for ET could of course be ported from that very same Q2-GPL engine.

As another sidenote, is there anybody interested in mapping or asset creation or else for COD4? Mapping is Radiant. There is just a new model exporter for Blender out ... TC textures would need decent bump and specular channels (for any of the projects ...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 am 
Master
Master

Well, I can do maps, textures, models, even have a half-finished player model I started making for CQB. However, I am no programmer. That's why I find Overdose so appealing, it has all the gameplay features already implemented.

Quote:
As another sidenote, is there anybody interested in mapping or asset creation or else for COD4? Mapping is Radiant. There is just a new model exporter for Blender out ... TC textures would need decent bump and specular channels (for any of the projects ...).
I'm interested plus I already have a collection of textures made from royalty-free sources, normal, bump and specular maps included.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Hi Damien and all,

regarding the COD4 project I would asked Diane whether I can upload it on her ftp and whether it can be distributed from there to interested alpha testers and preferably contributors. The project so far uses some COD:MW2 and COD:BO weapons which I have collected from the web. This should be ok at least for initial testing. Some other projects even distribute mods including those weapons on moddb, dunno whether it is "ok" because the models are taken from the COD franchise.

Once we have some testing going on, my preferred steps for mapping would be to port a classic map and to settle on scale and those details. Like I have suggested earlier it would be optimal to migrate some of Liquid's and Bruce's models and some textures here and there to get the good old TC style. So, for COD the call of duty goes to mappers, texture artists, and modellers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

coroner wrote:
regarding the COD4 project I would asked Diane whether I can upload it on her ftp and whether it can be distributed from there to interested alpha testers and preferably contributors.

Of course. Let me know if you need the details again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm 
Master
Master

Sounds good, I'm waiting for further instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:56 pm 
Master
Master

If you accept a person who doesn't give a shit about Treyarch or Infinity Ward that would gladly pirate the game to try out the mod, then you can count me in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Woohoo! It's alive :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:42 am 
Expert
Expert

Hello everybody

Coroner, I don't have these skills you mentioned in your post, but if you need help testing, I have the original COD4 installed here and I could perfectly install your mod for testing. While I understand that this is perhaps time for developers to test one with each other, if you'll need I can help with feedback about gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

@Haraldzz,

the only thing I can say to you: I don't like or care for ET. Is this a reason to not play or develop TC:E/CQB? Frankly, where is the connection?
I guess you would have to buy Cod4 to try it.

Cheers. cor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:53 am 
Expert
Expert

coroner wrote:
Once we have some testing going on, my preferred steps for mapping would be to port a classic map and to settle on scale and those details. Like I have suggested earlier it would be optimal to migrate some of Liquid's and Bruce's models and some textures here and there to get the good old TC style. So, for COD the call of duty goes to mappers, texture artists, and modellers.
Cheers. cor

I've toyed around with the Cod4 mod tools myself. Made a room or two on the radiant. Wouldn't be too hard to involve myself with the mapping there if I had time. Based on time I probably wont have full enthusiasm to map on cod4, but I am willing to do a mod test.

Looking forward to more information about test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 am 
Master
Master

coroner wrote:
@Haraldzz,

the only thing I can say to you: I don't like or care for ET. Is this a reason to not play or develop TC:E/CQB? Frankly, where is the connection?
I guess you would have to buy Cod4 to try it.

Cheers. cor
Frankly, a person doesn't need to like a game to develop mods or stand alone games for it, essentially, mods are sometimes made to make the game likeable to a person. However, I definitely see where you're coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

Since the development of TC is taking a new way using the COD4 basis (and I am really happy with it and could help on tests), I'd just like to ask, because still I have some expectation with respect to CQB, what then will do it . Apparently, don't would be healthy opening two work fronts, and so I understand that since the activity in the COD4-mod forum on this week was great, it will be definitly abandoned. I'm right about it? Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:39 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Ive done some mapping for cod4 and MASSA has a cod4 server located in Europe. I think we could contribute in means of hosting a server or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:24 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

A matter of scale.

I am currently testing the scale of the buildings, doorways etc.. There are two possibilities for future maps with various pros and cons:

"Q3:TC / COD 4 scale"
Let me term it that way but it is more the regular shooter scale which is also used by America's Army (including version 3), similarly Counter Strike, whole COD franchise, Medal of Honor, also Q3:TC, and early TC:E. Scale of map props (cargo containers, oil drums) and buildings (doorways, windows) is 10-25% too big with regard to the player height. Feels right from first person perspective unless you directly look at players standing in a door frame.

Pros:
*Feels like home to players coming from other games and most important to owners of COD 4.
*Allows wider than realistic door frames avoiding collision and "getting stuck" complaints
*All Q3:TC and TC:E map geometry except for ersatz and stadtrand can be ported 1:1. In ported TC:E maps, the COD 4 players models will be 20-25% smaller than in TC:E.
*Typical cover like oil drums can be used like in any other military shooter.
*Existing COD 4 maps can be used, existing map props can be used

Cons:
*Unrealistic scaling, players look like dwarfes when standing in door frames.
*"True scale" wouldn't be a feature of the mod.

"True scale"
Within reasonable limits all parts of the map follow the true scale of their real-life counterparts. TC:E tried to achieve this with the change to "newscale" years ago. CQB was trying very hard to get there.

Pros:
*"True scale" would be a feature of the mod.
*Using COD 4 maps is out of question
*More realistic cover by oil drums and other map assets
*Ersatz and Stadtrand could be ported

Cons:
*More prone to doorway clutter, particularly given that I can't tweak the movement/collision system as I did in CQB.
*Many ppl will complain about apparently to small and tight maps.
*Ports of former TC maps will require more time for geometry changes, or will have different scale feeling than in last TC:E versions.
*Because the player model height is 25% less than in TC:E (and can't be tweaked), detailed map geometry on the 1 and 2 units grid will still look more clumpsy than one could achieve in TC:E.
*Using and mixing with COD4 maps is out of question, limiting the available maps.
*Mappers have to adapt to the true scale, many COD 4 assets can't be used as is

I am undecided, but looking at the pros and cons, the decision should be obvious ...

Last edited by coroner on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next