All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:07 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

From my point of view, also as artist, and for practical reasons (use of existing assets):

Leave megatextures alone.

Use precomputed static lights and shadows (incl. radiosity) in combination with dynamic lights, e.g.:
*Dominant directional light in UDK
*Distance based blending of dynamic direct light and lightmap as in Cod4+ (also Unity Pro does this now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:50 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Lightmaps are completely out of the question if megatextures are also. In fact, I've seen a handful of times where the diffuse is actually baked into the lightmap just to save texture memory. It is, in practice, a "megatexture" engine, just without the tools. People have been doing that for years.

I think I'm going 100% dynamic. The shadows with dynamic lights aren't that bad, especially for smaller indoor scenes where the penumbra is typically pretty small. As a bonus, you don't have to make an entirely unique uv set for lighting, nor have to wait for compile times. :)

The penumbra size with PCF filtering can be changed in realtime without even having to re-render the shadow map. There will be the ability to modify the penumbra size with hotkeys such as the bracket keys to allow for better artistic precision (which is not available even in baked lighting.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Still kicking :) I've done more work on my renderer. I have multiple viewports working, amongst other things. Everything is taking a little longer than what I would have hoped because I'm doing things in a really clean way. I'd rather rewrite a couple things now than rewrite an entire system later on :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Still kicking once more :) been doing more GUI work. I'll post screenies later. Qt is essentially dead (thanks to Nokia) so I switched to WPF, which has resulted in an overall better user interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Awesome! I can't wait to see some progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Showing a sign of life here. I've been working a bit more on the material editor, and with the exception of the previews, it's actually largely finished :)
This is just a hobby project, of course, so that's why it is taking a while to make progress.

I think for my next project I may try and get a c# working with llvm. My work with wpf so far has been more rewarding than it should be, so I'm quite intrigued once more by the whole c#/.NET thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:21 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Still here and working :) Right now on a level editor! I must say, though, I'm discouraged by how this whole thing unfolded. If anyone is really interested in how my project is going, I'd be willing to keep them up to date...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:37 pm 
Master
Master

I understand you, but I still would like to see what can you offer. I'm kind of a tech geek to some degree. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:52 pm 
Master
Master

Im happy to hear any news :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:50 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Cool :)

The way the editor will be set up is that it will run as a client application and connect to a running instance of the game via TCP. The game controls all state objects and manages resources. All the tools are really used for is sending and receiving the proper messages to and from the engine. Bitsquid, along with at least one other system I know of, does this very thing.

However, the editors themselves are made with WPF. So no linux or mac versions will be available for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I felt like playing around with some different shadow mapping techniques today so I threw together a quick demo of PCF filtering.

http://i.imgur.com/ylm4G.jpg

The sampling bias isn't correct, so there's a bit of peter panning with the shadow on the right. Tomorrow I'll likely fix that and also add randomly rotated kernel sampling so the penumbra is a little more noisy instead of being banded. Also need to look into PCSS for better approximating the filter size. Right now it is constant :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

PCSS shadows :) notice the penumbra is perceptually correct. CryEngine 3 does something similar to this, along with sampling kernel rotations (which I'll probably do tonight.)

Last edited by affine on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:51 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well done! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:42 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

thanks sxy :) I've done more work on shadows, but not really any big improvements to show for yet.

View frustum culling code is working :)

Last edited by affine on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Did some stuff with area lighting today. It's basically just a "projector," but the penumbra size is dependent on the size of the light and the attenuation is from the backprojected point on the rectangle instead of being from the light's center.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next