All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Nice to see you've been busy :)
I'm glad we get a new engine. Over here the GOTY edition costs only 20 euros. Christmas is coming, it may get even cheaper. There's free CoD4 on steam if you buy MW3 (cough).

Ohh and I really hope we get that cool jiggly-aiming-system from CQB and the portal-scopes. CoD runs on modified IDTech engine right? The code must be similar then.

What does SOF stand for? Special Operations Force?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:20 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Glad to see that some (of the few remaining folks :) ) see something positive in a COD4 based project.
Regarding jiggly aiming and portal scopes I have to dissapoint you. Modding for COD4 is a bit more limited because the SDK only allows access to IW's scripting language. I can't yet fully estimate how much is possible with that but portal scopes for sure not.
The big plus for COD4 is that 95% of the game is already what TC (Q3) was aiming at in first place anyhow. With changes along the lines stated in my blog a TCsh feeling comes up pretty fast. The other major plus is Radiant-based mapping. One possibility would be to convert TC maps into COD4 format and to offer the map files to mappers who want to be part of the project.
The name TC:SOF still stands for Soldier of Fortune or Special operations forces (not decided yet). I was also considering Black operations group (BOG) which ppl might confuse with a Black Ops remake on COD4 as might happen with the name SOF. I might also just stick with CQB. Engine switch in alpha phase is still possible I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:25 am 
Expert
Expert

Thumbs up for radiant! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm still here, though I haven't been keeping up for quite some time. COD4 has its advantages but also has its disadvantages, but according to your blog you removed them :). Fortunately you are moving to an active community ( i think ? ) and people will play it. The question is ( no offense ) will this be another 2 year project and fail at the end like cqb. Its almost been 2 years now since CQB was introduced. Now your introducing a new mod but still no 'mod team' that I know of to help work on it. Is this another solo project or will it be supported by other developers as well. Moving to COD4 definitely requires a functional 'team'. If you don't have that I don't see this going anywhere since COD4 has a large community and is always looking for new exciting stuff. You wont get any 'life' on these forums if there is no hope. A formal dev team is hope and a single creator is fail hope.

So in my opinion my f-hope will be predominant until you introduce a team. I don't want to be harsh to you but its better to test the foundation now than to see it shatter once something is built on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:47 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

The considerations about a team are partly true and I definately need mappers. However, my weakness is that I don't have the time to maintain or manage a team. What I hope is that, after an initial alpha or pre alpha on most likely stock COD4 maps around xmas, mappers are willing to map for the mod.

Probably a team needs a producer position which I can't most likely fill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

So you need a guy like Liquid or Bruce. right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:49 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I'm a bit disappointed that CQB will never be finished, but I guess I wouldn't mind buying CoD 4 to see the new version of TC in action. Does sound rather interesting.

I guess as long as I can lean around corners I can't complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 am 
Expert
Expert

COD 4 leans are a joke. Its more of a side step really than a lean. Hopefully coroner can do something with that to make it more like tce without the pov issue.

Regarding the mappers, I intend to map for my own hobby depending on how the mod works out. A formal position is out of the question for me, but if all works out well I intend to make a few maps for cod4.

On a side note: Shouldn't it be fairly easy to port tce maps over to cod4? If so, technically you already have all the standard maps available for it with minor work. (hoping)

In my view the team producers only role should be to oversee the work being done on the official release by the rest of the team. Whether through advertisement votes or community packs. Which rarely happens unless the community needs an excitement boost of new stuff. The community will take of the temporary boost until and "official" update should occur. With customizations. But that's just my thoughts. Being a boss has its perks :) The only issue with this type of team style would be finding the team members who would create the official releases with the knowledge of knowing they aren't being payed for it and final decision is up to the mod creator. But whose to say that other studios wont look at their work and try to pick them up for paying jobs. Thus, your work is minor after the first official release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:25 am 
Master
Master

On the team or not, I will still be mapping. Due to Cod4's features my standards will raise considerably as well. Very excited about the new project and that the editor will be familiar.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:00 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

What SOF or CQB would need are at least mappers that are able to work in a team. That is they pass their work to another mapper for review and advice like professionals do. That is the only way to ensure consistency across maps and will improve them a lot. We had this workin with Liquid and Bruce back then, both of them also doing prop models and textures.

Conversion of TCE maps is easy as far as only the raw brushes are concerned. Retexturing with COD4 textures and replacement of TC models with COD4 models is required then. Optimally a limited set of textures (some sort of best of) should be converted from TCE to COD4 and should be enhanced. Additionally, the most important models (I think 10 are already enough) should be converted to get some of the old style back. I think it is not a goal to convert everything, a fresh look is required, but some conversion from TCE will help to break the COD4 style and to offer fresh air for long time COD4 players. I also would like to keep CQBs mapping goals to remove the choke point design old TCE maps if they are converted.

The limited texture and prop conversion stuff would be my next goal after the initial release, probably along with the final version of the CQB sample map.

One of the few things that need consideration is scale. COD4 has 1 inch per world unit like in Q3TC and first TCE version. If map geometry is converted, the player models in COD4 will appear smaller than in TCE. This will solve many door collision issues. It will give up TCE/CQBs scale and will be more comparable to Americas Army 3 scale, which is slightly off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:33 pm 
Master
Master

Just don't do same as u (TT) did for 0.50 coz was same relase date at christmas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:17 pm 
Master
Master

I would like to help with the mapping, textures, materials/shaders and environment models.

I have a bunch of 1024x1024 generic (brick/asphalt/concrete/...) materials (diffuse+specular+normal) I've made from royalty free sources and never used anywhere which I'd like to contribute. I can post examples if needed.

As far as models go, I created some for a few custom maps and lately I've made creating additional LOD models my practice.

Some of the stuff I made for TC:E can be seen here:
http://www.truecombatelite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2116

Anyway, I've always wanted to push the ET graphics as far as I could but the performance issues were too many. CoD4 engine is a way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

And so the community began its resurrection ... indeed, the TC community needed this kind of openness, Coroner. We all know how much effort you have undertaken in CQB, and how disappointing it was the community response. However, this happened precisely because there was no consensus for that a development team was formed. I think that the lessons were learned, and good things it seems to be emerging. Imagine how much know-how the people who will be in this project will acquire, precisely because of this attitude. I wish lucky to who enter in this new venture, and I know that you can do everything as professionally as possible. Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Shit, now I have to find my COD4 disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:53 pm 
Master
Master

Good luck, see ya in cod 4 if you succeed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next