All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: ziplines, grappling hooks and night vision goggles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:01 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I have one more idea...I don't know if it's too complicated to put in gam thou.. Very Happy

I played Battlefield 2:Special Forces recently and saw one great news there...ziplines, grappling hooks and night vision goggles.
I saw there is some night maps in TCE, so it would be nice to have night vision goggles.
Ziplines and grappling hooks gives u more freedom and tactical options on maps, as u dont have 2-3 ways to get to bomb. U can choose your way. Definitly great option.

I would be glad to se at least ziplines and grappling hooks in new wersion if it is possible. Thx, and continue with great work. Very Happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:06 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

those would be hard to code into the engine. The WET engine isnt as powerful as the newer ones like the UE2.5 or the SourceE. The nighvision is possible in ET but is alot of work, besides, most TCE maps are brightly lit.

the hooks on the other hand, well, i think its possible, but it wouldnt be easy to code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:17 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

its not about how difficult it is to code,
its about if its possible or not?
and if it is possible,
than just do it...
i dont mind to wait 4 or 8 months really,
but i do bother if there is A lack of news and updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:33 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Do remember the devs arent getting paid to do this, tehy are only doing this in their free time.. Do you know that every time you change something in the source code of a program/game, you have to test every single other line to make sure that all things are still working. Every bufix patch made has to make sure that it fixing the bugs and not add any more new ones from what used to be bugfree. Even a simple calculator that does add and subtract to only 2 numbers isnt that simple to code. Although the code itself for this calculator is short, its alot more than most people can do in their free time. Programming isnt an easy task, especially game design. As for 3dmodelling, animation, and integrating into games, beleive me, its harded than it looks. You dont just paint things in, you painstakingly model each and every inch of the model, texture it, and make sure it looks right and fits in the game. Even a simple gun that works and can be used in-game takes weeks or even months to model. Im talking about full weeks 24-7, and all the devs have is free time after work and rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:25 am 
High Master
High Master

Nightvision is exceedingly impractical. We will never see such a thing.

Grappling hooks probably won't be necessary, as a sort of freeclimbing system should hopefully be added in a later version.

I recall seeing some sort of zipline in a map for ET. It was a map that took place in a giant house. It's up to the mapper to include them, although it would take some scripting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:02 am 
Marksman
Marksman

I just wanted to tell u all about that idea, not starting samoe arguments 8)
I liked that in BF2:SF, but maps there r bit larger. I'm not even shure if it is needed in TCE, I just liked it in BF2, so I sugested it. I belive it's lots of work, but if u manage to find some way and time to implement it in TCE's gameplay, it might be fun.

Another good thing from BF serial is their conquest game type with several flags (bases) and tickets lowering down. It's dinamical, and there is no need for waiting for game end to respawn.

Well I kinda like BF2 almost as TCE, but it has it's qualities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:12 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

kozak6 wrote:
Nightvision is exceedingly impractical.

not if the maps are completely dark, when there arent any lights on the map,
than the nightvisions are usefull, its actually just an eye-candy that most people like to have it implented in TCE.

and its basicly the same when you play on A map thats on A sonny midday,
the difference is that evrything is green when you use you're nightvision.

http://truecombat.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=378

kozak6 wrote:
Grappling hooks probably won't be necessary,

I agree. grappling hooks are really not that often used by the army/special forces/specop.
I personally think grappling hooks should only be for stealth games like splintercell,
so we dont need it in the game

kozak6 wrote:
I recall seeing some sort of zipline in a map for ET. It was a map that took place in a giant house. It's up to the mapper to include them, although it would take some scripting.

I DONT AGREE. they're really not that often used by the army/special forces/specop when they're in A combat situation,
it should only be added on the "single/adventure/campaign" mode.
so we dont need it in the game,
unless there will be A "single/adventure/campaign" mode on the new version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:20 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

if you really want those, you can try to make a map and script them. the nightvision as we said isnt really useful in a game that is well lit. I'd say doom3 needs nightvision, but ET/TCE no.

Actually, special forces use grappling hooks, but usually for rapelling down buildings or dropping out of a blackhawk not so often for climbing.

but you are right about zip lines, the army would rather take the long way than expose themselves to enemies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]