All times are UTC

Post subject: red dot scope for true combat
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:48 am 
Master
Master

indeed :D i have model for simple red dot scope for true combat. I tried to copy the look of tce's m4 sopmods and ak74 speknaz scopes.

Made in wings 3d. Took about 2 hours (having problems adjusting that thing on right side of the scope (it peeks trough from the side). I cant texture it because i dont have knowledge how to make uv maps :? But there was possibility to change basic color of object so i used few grey and black color mixes so it doesnt look dull.

Yet still its not complete:

I need to make stand of the scope and lower poly count (omg i have 1103 tris !!!) which is currently way too high.

And ofcourse i dont know the scale so i have to adjust it (when i make it attach it to model i have to weld example: mp5 and put red dot on top of it so adjusting the scale is not big problem :D

I send pictures soon.

And btw the coding which i need to put this in true combat is not going to happen by me. I dont know anything about it :? So i think i have to contact Ranger :D

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:41 am 
Master
Master

picspics

well problem is i cant show them.... well i make moddb page for my profile and you may check em there

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:53 am 
Master
Master

enjoy :mrgreen:

clickityclick: http://www.moddb.com/members/thewonderb ... t#imagebox

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:57 pm 
Master
Master

*me opening wings* + 2 hours = A WEAPON :mrgreen:

Yeah now i started to make a weapon :P im making pistol and chose small, simple and still chalenging handgun.

Glock 18 compact :D

I dont have yet pics and it still needs cosmetic changes, more detailed iron sight. Little collor tweak and smoothening but i think im going to get it ready for my alpha model version (meaning its finished as alpha stage and i maybe might tweak it greatly afterwards. Not ingame version ofcourse.)

And best of all its only 231 tris which i think is quite good for true combat :lol:

Well i think i send some pics in 4 hour since i dont have enough time now.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:18 pm 
Master
Master

Quote:
I need to make stand of the scope and lower poly count (omg i have 1103 tris !!!) which is currently way too high.
I'm guessing the model in the screenshots has lowered polycount. Still, don't be afraid to use a bit more so the round parts don't appear as blocky. You can always simplify the detail that isn't in focus most of the time.

What's the current polycount?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:27 pm 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
Quote:
I'm guessing the model in the screenshots has lowered polycount. Still, don't be afraid to use a bit more so the round parts don't appear as blocky. You can always simplify the detail that isn't in focus most of the time.

What's the current polycount?

Nope that is the same model in the pictures. Its still 1103 tris. I concentrated more to glock this time. I think that i might redo the scope. I didnt use smoothening to the scope which might make it look little blocky but i think its almost as good as true combat elites red dot :D

Check back in one and a half hour and you might suprise

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Show a wireframe of the sight and then I can probably help you optimize the polycount to a more respectable number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:35 pm 
Master
Master

Alpha Red wrote:
Show a wireframe of the sight and then I can probably help you optimize the polycount to a more respectable number.

How do i show it to you ? In picture ?

And as damien said that i shouldnt worry too much so i did smoothening. And quess what ? Vert count is now 2581. If i got it textured i might try to put it in true combat elite since models are pretty much more accurate. But i have the old scope still saved (which i want to put in true combat)

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:47 pm 
Master
Master

RedRuM wrote:
And as damien said that i shouldnt worry too much so i did smoothening. And quess what ? Vert count is now 2581.
I thought you already reduced the polycount. Looking at the image I thought it was ~300 polys for the whole thing.

Since it is significantly higher than that, there's no excuse for it to appear blocky. I'm guessing you wasted a lot of polygons on smaller details but post a wireframe image of the first version anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

I need the wireframe as a pic, or else I cannot see it.

Also, I wanted to test how you oculd have gotten 1k+ in tris on such a simple model so I did one exactly like yours. My final tris count came to....478 tris (with no optimizations). Even then, I had a 32 sided base cylinder (which could probably be like 20 or even less) and various other bad practices for cylinders (like median verts on the caps). Here are some pics (notice they are smoothed but there is NO increase in the polycount):

If you post the wireframe, I can help you get it into much better shape

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:52 pm 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
RedRuM wrote:
And as damien said that i shouldnt worry too much so i did smoothening. And quess what ? Vert count is now 2581.
I thought you already reduced the polycount. Looking at the image I thought it was ~300 polys for the whole thing.

Since it is significantly higher than that, there's no excuse for it to appear blocky. I'm guessing you wasted a lot of polygons on smaller details but post a wireframe image of the first version anyway.

I will send picture tomorrow. And if you are interested about that better scope go check it out :D same place. Its not blocky.

I think i messed few things and thats why it might be so high vertied.

Btw i didnt accuse you about anything if you though so :D

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

RedRuM wrote:
I will send picture tomorrow. And if you are interested about that better scope go check it out :D same place. Its not blocky.

Maybe so, but it wouldn't increase the count by 500. Btw, don't use turbosmooth/subsurf/whatever wings3d calls it. Its not what Damien meant by smoothing.

I have a HK USP that I'm modeling now that has less faces than your sight. That's insane, but you're just learning so its understandable. I'd suggest learning your program first and then go onto modeling things you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm 
Master
Master

Alpha Red wrote:
RedRuM wrote:

Maybe so, but it wouldn't increase the count by 500. Btw, don't use turbosmooth/subsurf/whatever wings3d calls it. Its not what Damien meant by smoothing.

I have a HK USP that I'm modeling now that has less faces than your sight. That's insane, but you're just learning so its understandable. I'd suggest learning your program first and then go onto modeling things you like.

Its simply named as "smooth" it adds lots of faces and more round shapes. Then there is "auto-smooth" which increases the count even more. (vert count)

But i have to admit that i created the hole with my own way (didnt watch tutorials. Tried to figure out it by myself). I made it as following: i started with 16 faced cylinder, selected all lines on one side and used function connect. Connect makes more lines between these already existing lines. While new lines and old lines were in "painted" mode i kept tapping "c" (connect) as long as i though the distance from edges was enough. After that i sellected the circle on the middle and chose "hole" function (did same for other side).

But i havent yet removed those faces around the hole :o i though that if i finetune the scope i need more faces to make more detail. After smoothening the top of the scope had pretty many faces but not as much as front+back.

Does the faces realy increase poly count so much ? If so i can easily remove faces from front and back and make circle only one face (per side)

Btw you may think why did i create those faces ? (if you dont make it same way as i) because if i make the hole it leaves the surrounding as "infinitie tight" but still visual wall there. So with faces i ensured that the end of the scope and back of the scope did stay "fat"

Btw2: if you did read my blog and heard that my glock failed (i think i writed it on the blog) i think its because i removed faces too early which caused problems with lines (lines stayd the same:four faces four lines) and that caused problems with connect (one face four lines. Now connect wont draw one single line to connect both sides. It draws four lines to connect four different part of one face) and sometimes one faces maybe was painted when it shouldnt have been. And if i example tried to bump sides of the glock that face was stretched (glock bumps was made with 16 faces where 8 of them were sucked in the glock. So if one face is selected it will only stretch and might stretch in the model in place where i might not see it)

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am 
Master
Master

hello after i watched few rainbow six vegas 2 videos and thinked about my yesterdays fabulous glock18c gameplay im still willing to make my glock AND ofcourse the red dot :D

So now i changed the plan. Because im new i dont know how to start making current model but now i think i got it right. tell me if my plan is all wrong

So here it is:

1:i make the glock in three parts: handle, hammer/top, triger area. And in that order.

2: im now trying to create only one side of glock and dublicate it to other side

3:first i concentrate into most important details which makes the glock... Umm glock.

I cant yet send wireframe (red dot) because im at school :oops: and posting now with mobile phone. But today i will send it

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm 
Master
Master

HEY :D New pics

I putted now fireframe picture AND "optimized" or simply removed shitloads of faces :P sorry i didnt have much time so i quickly put screenshots in paint.

The *i-need-a-broader-vocab* big scope had something like 4500 faces but this one haves more like 400 faces which is still too high :?

But now it haves also about 1000 verts which is less than first model and it even looks better. One bigger change i made was total change the right thingy (it took about 100 verts and current takes 60-70). I can still slightly reduce faces but not much anymore. And i asume the scale is wrong so i test it tommorrow with right scale with ak47 (in wings 3d with true combats ak47).

I removed the dot because in reality it was only accidentaly twisted cube :oops: so i replace it with better one (i bet it takes only little more verts)

Tomorrow i send picture of the old scope and wireframe + new - old comparsion

growing

getting stronger