All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 75  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:57 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Hi hoak,

thanks for the motivating words. Actually interesting that you mentioned Elite626. Last autumn I discovered a tool which (finally correctly) converts RtCW mds models to WET mdx/mdm, making it possible to use RtCWs female Elitequard model in WET/TCE. Thus it would also be possible to recreate Elite626 as a minimod for TCE. However, there would of course be legal issues with the RtCW model (even if nobody would really care for an aged game, they still wouldn't give permission I guess). I was actually thinking to work on a WET version of Elite626 when I started with TCE code/assets last autumn, then again abandoned the idea since it was a really "not so serious" game idea, which particularly would not have fitted anywhere in the TC(E) legacy. I might still consider to recreate it as minimod for CQB.

Cheers, Cor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:37 pm 
Master
Master

Elite626 or no, it looks like the timing of your reinvigorated interest in game design couldn't be more ideal -- and CQB could well again fill a growing void in the sub-genre you were instrumental in creating.

It never ceases to amaze me how comfortably your nick and 'True Combat' roll off glib tongues of many who take credit (and seven figure incomes) from the modest Author at Groove Six Studios.

Considering the dog and pony show between Activation and Infinity Ward; if you'd ever be interested in a game design gig with a fat pay-check, now might be the time to let the folks at Activision know...

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:50 am 
Master
Master

Any chance on implementing a specular and bump mapping patch to your new project? Are there any kind of graphic enhancements being made for 3rd party releases?

Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

There is no chance to add specular and bump or any other pixel shader and engine related stuff since it requires access to the engine code.
TCE already pretty much maxes out whats doable without touching the rendering engine itself. I've been tossing around some ideas to add sun reflexions for water surfaces but decided to not spent much time with such things.
I've been trying some new shader effects for WETs fake specular reflexions on the new weapons and they look quite good.
There will be graphics updates in the sense that polycounts can be dramatically increased. Since 2006, 4 years have passed and there is headroom for improvements. Even on my 3-4 years old laptop, 50000 polys in a scene are not big problem.
Whats doable is the look of COD4 (e.g. overgrown) with all pixelshaders turned off. I think that would be a huge step even without pixel shaders.
The good thing is that the game would run smoothly with 2x 60 fps as required for real 3D. Another thing about pixel shaders is that it will hardly be doable to create good looking assets in a meaningful time, I mean, its hard enough with only the color channel textures already.

There are rumors that teams are trying to recreate WET (engine) on the Idtech3 (quake3) GPL code but I don't know whether anything about this is true. I mean there is Xreal which is really impressing, on the other side I am quite happy to not have to care about a buggy engine when using stock WET. UrbanTerrors Iobumby engine (forked off something I am sure) seems even more interesting because it uses radiosity bumpmapping for lightmaps. Nevertheless, even when UrT offers a stable version of that engine with the release of 4.2, I would still have to migrate TCE to quake3 back again. If it is about graphics it would have been the smartest to mod for COD4 ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey Coroner,
I was wondering if any of the other coworkers were helping u or are u working alone ?
I saw a lot of old TT members showing interest here when u came back. But nothing coming from them. Are u waiting for some help from them ? Are u working alone ?
There were some maps in progress (from Liquid for example) be4 u did ur long long looooooooong break (too long for us at least :P ). Could be really nice to have more maps because 6 standard maps is really repetitive after 4 long years ...
Keep on the work in progress, it looks interesting.
Best regards,
Joa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Joa wrote:
I saw a lot of old TT members showing interest here when u came back. But nothing coming from them. Are u waiting for some help from them ? Are u working alone ?

The interested members are in contact off the public forums.

And the proposed project is for a new mod and not a TCE update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:47 pm 
Rock Me, Amadeus!
Rock Me, Amadeus!

coroner wrote:
UrbanTerrors Iobumby engine (forked off something I am sure)

It's forked of ioquake3, and they are not exactly following the terms of GPL :P

There is some source zip on their forums somewhere though (really well hidden)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

There is limited normal/bump mapping support for static map objects in ET/q3 already, stealth was messing around with it I believe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 pm 
Master
Master

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. I do like the fork even if it is shady.

Any enhancements I will take! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Diane wrote:
The interested members are in contact off the public forums.

And the proposed project is for a new mod and not a TCE update.

Joa says :
"Thanks for repeating what has already been said, but, as u can read, my msg is addressed to Coroner and not to u !"

PS: had to post it for Joa as his account was made inactive ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Coroner wrote in his blog:
Quote:
Glock 21 or some 1911 (Silencer)
.45 ACP

How about the SOCOM/variant of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:27 pm 
Master
Master

Prowokator......

I've been trying to contact you.

Can you please send me that door model?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 pm 
Master
Master

Though it may only be intention at this point; it would be nice to hear about what kind of game dynamics are planned for CQB; for example:

· will CQB still have infinite turning speed?
· what are movement speeds going to be like?
· will there be more realistc stance based leaning like COD4?
· what kind of movement penalty on weapon accuracy will be portrayed?
· what role will sniper weapons play in CQB?
· will there be explosive munitions (grenades)?

I guess in essence I'm wondering if CQB might play more like Sierra's SWAT 4, which is rather unique and still quite popular, or more like Urban Terror, or something else entirely?

:|

Last edited by hoak on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 pm 
Master
Master

Whoops, those edit/quote buttons are hard to read... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 am 
Expert
Expert

we need some advertising for tce CQB to let people know about the game. like xfire, msn or websites for mods. And also a trailer or something like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 75  Next