All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

You serious? I guess I'll check that out and see if they're the same as I remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

The mod is internal, awaiting public release soon. I asked the main coders how they were able to implement it, and I was wrong, they have a licensed copy of the source code for ET. So it isnt a true mod, but an official redo.

Im trying to get permission to release some screens, it looks insane BTW, entirely new content, old maps totally redone, etc!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm 
Master
Master

Is there a link to some screens for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 pm 
Master
Master

I have a coder working on this as we speak. So whatever comes first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

Stealth wrote:
I have a coder working on this as we speak. So whatever comes first.

I wonder who?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 pm 
Master
Master

:D I appreciate the interest.

I used to be a part of a mod for Quake 3 a long time ago. Back in the days when people were friendlier and didn't criticize you online for your Race, Religion, or Politics.

ANYWAY.......

Through affiliation with the mod, I got to know several people with several talents.

His name will remain anonymous.

Just to clarify, this will result in a whole new ET.exe for WET. Thus adding more features to the compile process for q3map2. Exactly like 27 has done. However, there isn't a guarantee. So I wouldn't squeeze any butt cheeks over this yet.

In theory if this is accomplished, any compiled maps with these features will still be able to run on the old ET.exe, that is of course if the admins don't wish to take advantage of the enhancements.

Knowing some admins here, they may not be interested.

Will these features effect performance?

Its hard to say. We will just have to test them.

However as most here would note, I'm tired of the vanilla TCE look of all the maps. As you can see in Oldtowne. Which BTW still hasn't been used on servers for the excuse that its above the "normal" or "acceptable" file size limit.

I feel that its just pure prejudice, nothing more. Sooner or later, people will have to accept the fact that if you want quality, there is a price.

I don't expect many people to read this book. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 am 
Master
Master

Quote:
However as most here would note, I'm tired of the vanilla TCE look of all the maps.
If you're talking about the repetition of the color scheme used in custom maps, that's probably due to all of them using the same sky shader which results in same lighting (yellow) and the same fog color (faint blue).

Quote:
As you can see in Oldtowne. Which BTW still hasn't been used on servers for the excuse that its above the "normal" or "acceptable" file size limit.
Well, new looks of the maps require new textures. If we're going to ignore that and force the mappers to use the same set of textures over and over again to minimize the .pk3's size we can say goodbye to hoping to see any unique ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:29 am 
Expert
Expert

Hmm, im not talking about what Stealth is up to.

Screens are going to have to wait, the rest of the team wants to keep them under wraps until they are closer to a release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

I do not know of what Rang3r1 is talking about but I do know there is some planning going on in the ocmmunity for a higher graphical copy of ET.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:13 pm 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
Quote:
However as most here would note, I'm tired of the vanilla TCE look of all the maps.
If you're talking about the repetition of the color scheme used in custom maps, that's probably due to all of them using the same sky shader which results in same lighting (yellow) and the same fog color (faint blue).

Quote:
As you can see in Oldtowne. Which BTW still hasn't been used on servers for the excuse that its above the "normal" or "acceptable" file size limit.
Well, new looks of the maps require new textures. If we're going to ignore that and force the mappers to use the same set of textures over and over again to minimize the .pk3's size we can say goodbye to hoping to see any unique ones.

I would like to shake your hand sir. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:34 am 
Expert
Expert

There was going to be a remake for source, but they were able to get a legit copy of the source code, so they are using that, but with a revamped rendering engine. All new content. I really wish I could show you the screens, but soon enough. Trust me, you guys will freak!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:11 am 
Master
Master

Great news. If it has the support for ET mods made with the original SDK, editing the current TC:E content (models, textures, shaders) to update the looks of it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Well, now that I think about it, maybe there will be a need to recompile the maps...

Anyway, it's great to hear about this, how long do we have to wait to see/play it, if you can tell?

Also, what modern game would you compare the new looks with? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 am 
Expert
Expert

I'm still waiting on one of the programmers to fill me in on the mod support.

What I can tell you is that it is slated to be released around May. (cross your fingers)

It features default ET gameplay, although some things have been added, such as native Omni-bot support, improved server compatability, and new weapon classes, such as shotguns, etc. Will have totally redone versions of the default maps, with the addition of next-gen content, shaders, and bump-mapping. Nothing is being re-used, it is all being remade from scratch. CTF and Domination will be standard gametypes.

There is also a plan to integrate drivable vehicles sometime in the future.

I'm not too familiar with the game itself, I'm just doing some freelance work for weapons, etc. I would have to compare it to COD4 without all the bloom and AA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

I wonder who's coding that? Trying to go through the list of all the ET programmers I've met in my mind. But I can't think one of them is doing this so it'd have to be an outsider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:03 pm 
Master
Master

shooting while leaning and not aimed is what you can add, or are you talking about visual, or maybe mod bug =)