All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:46 am 
Master
Master

NO HUD? you shittin me xeno? no hud=no popularity=devs will shoot you=i will stuff a nade up your ass. k that bit was a lil exaggerated. but seriously no hud.. would you play a game with no hud? would hoak play a game with no hud? would anyone? well a few but.. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:10 am 
Master
Master

Flyhead, no HUD means a lot of cool things you're probably not considering (this is virtually the same reaction I had back when I started pushing ironsights)...

No HUD means realistic world interaction; like when you take out a magazine you actually look at it and it has real time skins that show you roughly how many bullets are actually in it, hell game engines and render candy is so capable it could show you exactly how many are in there. No HUD means you'd have a portal compass or GPS just like Vietcong, right in your hand in game that works just like the real banana. No HUD means you have damage skins such that you look down and see your bleeding all over the place... Summarily no HUD means everything that you currently look to a HUD for is in the game as a real world asset you have to use in a realistic context and manipulate realistically to get the information you need.

None of this is new, and games that have offered these features have been enormously popular -- I've named three that are released, but more are on the way and I'm confident it will be as or more popular then ironsights as it's as inevitable and logical as ironsights -- just takes a Development team ambitious enough to pursue it...

:)

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:07 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

hoak wrote:
Again, though even though a UI can be trivial, you do need one of some manner to:

· select weapons
· see the game score
· select teams
· call and patriarchate in votes
· adjust game settings
· etc

Well, actually you don't really need an UI to do that. Look at Natural Selection for the team selection or at Vietcong (SP) for the weapon selection. You're in a room, and that room fulfills the same functions as an UI does.

You could apply that to TC:E: let's say you have a choice room, when you enter the game, in which you can select your team by chosing one of three doors. You then are in a rom, a bus or whatever and select your class and your weapons by picking up a little kit, clothes, and the weapons. After some time/When everyone or a majority has readyied up, the game begins, the door of the room/bus/chopper/etc. opens and the game begins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:40 pm 
Master
Master

Good point, but that's a lot of work in game asset creation to make things that aren't a critical part of the game; and both Natural Selection and Vietcong still have a rather vast UI...

It would be one helluva immersive experience though to have a game that had no external interface that wasn't implemented as a game world interaction (except the installer); I'm sure it will happen...

But I'd rather see the TC:E guys invested in some objective scale game design; TC:E's art assets are great, but the game design is Counter-Strike deravitive pap, with silly featuers like the AA System tossed in. There are plenty of ways to be original and create a great realism game; copying Counter-Strike and America's Army is not among them, as Counter-Strike has been relentlessly cloned, and America's Army is about the most unoriginal realism shooter going...

Δ

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:52 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

what hoak said :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:15 am 
Master
Master

i apologize for my stupidity lol bout the compass n damage skins n mag peekin that would be awesome and make tce better than bf2, but thats a hellotta coding. still, looking at a hole in my body would be awesome tho :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:56 am 
Master
Master

Actually such features would not require that much, very complicated or extravagant code work, but would require substantial art assets and animation; but all easily within the envelope of technical possibility and even reasonable if the TC:E team really wanted to take the mod to the next level...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:47 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I would love to play the game without any hud icon or bar. it would just be the next step after introducing iron sights in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:52 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

don wrote:
I would love to play the game without any hud icon or bar. it would just be the next step after introducing iron sights in my opinion.

The multiplayer Vietcong 2 demo that came out, some servers have a realism mode which takes away the hud, compass, health/ammo remaining diagrams!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:10 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

That is pretty much what I wanted for g_realism 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:57 am 
Master
Master

that should be an option, not default.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:47 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

flyhead(cn) wrote:
that should be an option, not default.

It is an option, for the admins....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:43 am 
Master
Master

no HUD is fine but the only things i would need to know would be:
how many nades, how many mags, bomb status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:51 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

@vietcong: I am gonna try it out soon.

it's all about skill and experience. new players would need to get used to the fact that they can't run around and empty magazine after magazine without thinking about it. it also happens quite often that someone is running around with an empty magazine for quite some time and when he is getting into a fight then all you hear is a *click* and he's dead. you have very limited resources in tc:e and you lose all magazines when you reload so I guess that it wouldn't be that hard to remember the amount of bullets left. you would also need to think more about what you are doing and it could get way more tactical. since you are getting a voice message when a bomb was planted it only makes the game even more predictable if there is a compass too that indicates the place where it was planted.
the terrorists could have a new item (GPS-system, something similar to the et's command map or whatever) to find dropped bombs while the specops would need to seek it without any technical help.

the only things hard to replace would be the health bar and the fire mode indicator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:48 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

flyhead(cn) wrote:
no HUD is fine but the only things i would need to know would be:
how many nades, how many mags, bomb status.

This isnt too hard to keep track of in your head. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next