All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: complaining & gun position
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:17 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

read:
Thetawaves wrote:
First off, I'd like to say that pulling .49b was a terrible decision. When a player decides on a server to choose, he has to understand which version he is using. Is he using .48, .49, or .49b? that's THREE segments in the tce community. Already, that's horrid; but soon after you pulled the patch only a few days after very popular NA servers had already updated. Basically you told everybody they're **$** out of luck until you decide to rerelase the patch, which could have been two days, a week, a month, half a year? Who knows. Public communication on this was inadequate.

What you should have done is simply left the patch, and released .49c when it would be ready. Attempting to 'end confusion within the community' only drove to segment it. Another side effect of pulling a patch and releasing a fix under the same name is, what happens when your servers upgrade from the broken version to the fixed version? For me, tce would attempt to download pak4.pk3 when I knew it was already located in /usr/local/games/et/tcetest/. I then copied pak4.pk3 to /home/user/.etwolf/tcetest/ and it continued to try and download pak4.pk3 from the servers. Only this time, there was an error message describing the hash failure. I got hit with the clue stick and realized that the fixed patch must be out. I upgraded and began using tce as normal.

What I'm trying to say is, this is a pretty **$** way to integrate updates back into the community. Public servers need to be kept up-to-date. In the same hat, these servers need to tell the user that they need to upgrade to the latest release. You could provide this functionality in the tcetest client, and then it's merely a question of whether the egg or the chicken came first. TCE has such a small community, and it is very necessary to avoid fragmentation.

Basically: get to work on versioning control. Autoupdates (subprogram that brings the installed tce up-to-date with either stable or unstable branch) would be a pretty cool feature aswell. I'm confused as to why you release a beta, when you aren't ready for the entire community to switch. It simply isn't big enough to handle both a stable, and an unstable branch in it's current form. If you provided a way to easily switch between the stable (.49) and unstable (.49b) then that would also be acceptable. Forcing people to reinstall or just not play for an unknown period of time sucks for everybody!

source: http://www.truecombatelite.net/forum/vi ... 92&start=0

see... what did i told you guys,, most people arent computer experts you know....

an update notifier would be indeed a useful feature, something that pops outta your dekstop whenever there is an update when you open tcetest.

like i said so many times, devs have to bridge a gap for non gamers/computer experts, to maintain the popularity.

and next time please release a big update only not a small tiny micro update cause its not really worthy.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:43 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

IMO, he's just whining he didn't get .49b.

it was pulled due to a problem that wouldn't let you play at all. IMO, that's a big problem, and worthy of a pull until a patch can be done.

also, though an update notifyer would be nice, it wouldn't work for ET. your best bet is to check the news every couple days when you get on, and see if there are any updates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

wouldnt let you play at all?

it was a shader file on delta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:47 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it gave you an error when you connected to a server, I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:07 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

it wrote:
it gave you an error when you connected to a server, I think

thats funny coz our servers ran it up until .49b_fixed came out....people who had it had no problem connecting :) it was pulled becoz of delta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:18 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I had no probs at all.
I'm not to thrilled about the lack of nades ( for bc )
Free aim makes me feel like a bobble head doll in the back window of a car, I turned it off before I puked.

Thanks for the free game, it still kicks ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:36 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Toe Cutter wrote:
Thanks for the [b]free game[b], it still kicks ass.

quoted for emphasis.

is it the worlds best game? no. is it free? yes. and it's still fun to play with te right people (which are fairly easy to find)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:23 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Toe Cutter wrote:
I had no probs at all.
I'm not to thrilled about the lack of nades ( for bc )

same here...

Toe Cutter wrote:
Free aim makes me feel like a bobble head doll in the back window of a car, I turned it off before I puked.

[EDIT]

the free aim is awesome!! im so happy that the devs added that, its also more realistic.

i always use the centered gun position, and is the best gun position,but i still dont know why it isnt the default setting.

but the "no aim"/"hip aim" view is still crooked, it still not pointing towards 12 o clock. and.... the bullets are hitting the wrong places

read:
http://www.truecombat.us/forums/viewtop ... 41&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:37 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I'm not so sure the hip shooting should be more accurete. It would be more realastic because of human hand / eye cooridnation it's acually pretty easy with little practice, but thats part of the challenge of the game. Without having to use the sights, you might as well just put a crosshair in the middle of the screen. If you dont have to bring the gun up to shoot accuartly except at long ranges you have nearly reduced the game to the chaos that Wolfenstein Enemy Territory has turned into. I say leave it alone or make the free aim apply when the gun is at your hip so the muzzle could be pointing virtually anywhere without any control unless you shoulder the gun. I think that would be more realastic, but I've never acually tried running and firing an automatic weapon.

Thats my final conclution. Make free aim apply to hip shooting weather it's enabled or not to reduce accuracy and increase tha challenge, and bring back at least some of the grenade load out. (to reduce the challange, lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:45 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Toe Cutter wrote:
I'm not so sure the hip shooting should be more accurete. It would be more realastic because of human hand / eye cooridnation it's acually pretty easy with little practice, but thats part of the challenge of the game. Without having to use the sights, you might as well just put a crosshair in the middle of the screen.

even if it will reduce the challange, it is still the method of how it sepose to be. making the hipaim less accurate and less straight forward just because you wanna make it more challanging is the same like denying the fact that birds can fly straight forward and that humans can walk straight forward,

even if it is easier to kill with a realistic proper hipaim that can shoot towards 12 o clock, doesnt mean that it will totally reduce the challange. you would still need some "skill to kill" and it would still be different with out crosshairs, and 1 of the difference is... that it doesnt have a crosshair.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:39 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I"ve fired a gun from the hip. you DO NOT have the gun facing directly forward. it is facing to the left, towards 10:00 ish, almost exactly like in TC:E.

if you want the gun straight forward, use the damn sights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:09 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I really think, without any doubt whatsoever that dragonathan should just go make his own game / mod. I'm not flaming him, he just seems to have every possible detail worked out to HIS liking, I think he is a control freak. So dragonathan, go ahead and take the control you really seem to want. I'ts more that increadibly obvious that you have the time, knowlege and energy to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:42 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Toe Cutter wrote:
I really think, without any doubt whatsoever that dragonathan should just go make his own game / mod. I'm not flaming him, he just seems to have every possible detail worked out to HIS liking, I think he is a control freak. So dragonathan, go ahead and take the control you really seem to want. I'ts more that increadibly obvious that you have the time, knowlege and energy to do it.

This has been suggested multiple times by multiple individuals (myself included), and weather it's flaming or not, it never really helps things, so I think we should just drop it..... he's just going to ignore you and continue on where he left off anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:00 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

lol im not a control freak... i have this thing for project's, i really like to help improve someone else's project, infact i helped allot of programmers of popular freeware's, allot of my features that i suggested are used in their program's,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

everyone knows you are only trying to help, the problem is that so many ideas are so..personal to you that the good ideas that you bring up (and there are a few) are smothered by the shitstorm of other ideas that make you look a tad silly (this one for example).

Firing from hip is easily (read EASILY) accurate enough for the range in which it WOULD be used in real life combat. you can take out people at 15-20 feet maximum within the game (well after a bit of practice I can ;)). It works in a system that randomly fires bullets on a point around the perimeter of an invisible circle on the centre of the screen (not like cone fire), or at least that is how i view it. there are general areas on the screen you can aim for, and making hipshot more accurate would only highlight one of the less strong aspects of q3tc (ridiculous hipshot accuracy for the mp5)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next