All times are UTC

Post subject: What is this error and how can I verify my version
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:12 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I get this error whenever I try to connect to a server

Quote:
Missing official pak file. Please verify installation and make sure it is updated to latest version.

I am pretty sure that I have version 0.49 but I would like to know how I can get the version number

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:24 am 
High Master
High Master

Some servers are running .49B, while others are running plain .49. You may be trying to log on to server that is using .49b. TC:E has stopped linking out the .49B patch due to a big bug, but if you look for it I'm sure you can find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:51 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the fixed patch came out today. that should solve any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:27 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

-ATHF-FryLock wrote:
Some servers are running .49B, while others are running plain .49. You may be trying to log on to server that is using .49b. TC:E has stopped linking out the .49B patch due to a big bug, but if you look for it I'm sure you can find it.

But how do I find which version of the client I have and what version the server is running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:49 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

if you load a map (go into the console, do /devmap obj_(map), or just host one) the loading bar should tell you what version you're running. AFAIK, with .49b, you can play on .49 servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:40 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

it wrote:
the fixed patch came out today. that should solve any problems.

But where to find it. I am going to go to the main page and see if it is there. I HOPE it comes with instructions on how to install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:44 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

The patch can be found here: http://www.truecombat.us/tce.php?page=downloads

There are no instructions I believe. Just unzip it into your tcetest folder. After, make sure it didn't make a duplicate tcetest inside your main tcetest folder. If it did, just copy the contents into your main tcetest folder and voila.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:47 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Diane wrote:
The patch can be found here: http://www.truecombat.us/tce.php?page=downloads

There are no instructions I believe. Just unzip it into your tcetest folder. After, make sure it didn't make a duplicate tcetest inside your main tcetest folder. If it did, just copy the contents into your main tcetest folder and voila.

Yep I found it. After going thru all this I hope this game is as good as has been described. I downloaded it a month ago and still have not been able to pay it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

It can get pretty frustrating sometimes as every server tends to run different versions of the game or include their own "home-made" additions.

Thanks for sticking through the bs of installing/uninstalling for all this time. It is a great game, I hope you get the chance to see for yourself soon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:54 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Diane wrote:
It can get pretty frustrating sometimes as every server tends to run different versions of the game or include their own "home-made" additions.

Thanks for sticking through the bs of installing/uninstalling for all this time. It is a great game, I hope you get the chance to see for yourself soon :)

Thanks Diane. Off Topic but where did you get the artwork in your sig. I am and old comic fan and looks a lot like Jim Kirby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:01 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

The woman is from some poster/CD art of Blink 182. The ak is from the weapons page here at tc.us :oops: and the text etc was made by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:49 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I know this is a FREE game. I know that probably no one is getting PAID to develope this game. I know all the reponses and effort here is purely volunteer. But that being said.

There had GOT to be a better way to distrubute your game.

I first started downloading this game back at the end of NOVEMBER. I manage a network of 35 computers. I do not claim to be the most brilliant techical person but I have been using computers since I built my first ALTAIR from a kit in the mid 70s.

The process of getting this program to work is confusing to me I an imagine how it is for a casual computer user. After fighting with the download and ports and ET and getting the correct versions. Finally I find out I need a patch. OK I have to go thru SIX screen to get to the point where I can actually save the patch on my hard drive. Then I open up the zip file and there are no instructions on how to install it. I see files that I THINK are for a Machintosh and some that I THINK are for linux. But NOTHING that directly instructs how to apply the patch to a windows installation. Just and aside. When I read the .rtf file in the zip it talks about and "Applications" directory or folder. Well windows computers do not have any such thing. MOST programs reside in the Program Files folder.

Guys I am sure that this is a great game but after a month of trying to get it to work and never being able to get past the menus screens I am really debating if its worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Though I completely agree with you that it is a painful and slightly long process just to set the game up, and this should be looked at by the Dev's.

Then again, nothing truely comes for free in this life.