All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: naming system
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:59 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

ok we all discussed about the naming system,
some wanted the player's name to appear above the head,
some liked it, some didnt liked it,
some wanted to let it appear on the player's head the hole time, some wanted the name to appear only if you point your gun/mouse towards the player's model, some didnt wanted to see any names at all, "but that should be an option for all player's wich you should be able to adjust in the menu" "this would also reduce team killing"

the one's that didnt liked it, thinks its unrealistic to have hud's, than i explained them that huds have nothing to do with realism, it just a helping hand, because games are limited to do stuff that are possible in real life, thats why there are hud's in games, having names above the player's head isnt unrealistic, heres why... read:
Dragonathan wrote:
READ ATTENTIVELY

ok now the real reason why name's above the player model's head would be realistic:

-if you want to recognize someone's face in real life you look at his face,
in this game evryone wants to be recognized, it would be boring if we wouldnt know with who we're playing with, now having your own personal specific face in TC:E is far fetch and "impossible" "depends on how you look at it",
but not only in TC:E, in allot of shooters it's impossible, even mmorpg's,

thats the reason why player's names are visable on the display on most online games,
if you dont know wich one is who? than names is the answer,

now i have a damn good reason why the names under the model's feet is EXTREMELY unrealistic...

- if you wanna recognize someone in real life you dont look at the person's feet, but you look at the person's face, so the player's name should be above the model's head.

because the name represents who you are/look.

the problem with names is that the one's with long names will limit the vision of other players, cause they have like more than 15 character's in their name, because they added their clan name in their alias,
so it would look probably like:

wich makes the display look untighty and sloppy,

now read this attentively

the only solution is to devide the player's name and the clan name's
and block weird font characters like: ()[].[space]^!@$1234 ect. ect.
players shouldnt be able to fill in weird characters/spaces/numbers in their names, you can only fill in maximum 11 letters, wich make it more neat,

so if you fill in your name "IN YOUR PROFILE" it will appear above your head like this:

now you people are probably wondering: "but how do i show people my clan name/tag"

well... the answer is very simple...
in the profile section there should be an option where you also can fill in your clan name "but its not obligated" this should be possible to code cause
the devs should only duplicate the naming system, there should be 2 naming systems, one for the real player's name, the other one is for their clan,

the player's name will appear above the head, "and the clan name wil appear under the player's feet like the current naming system" but the clan name should be smaller, and the color of the clan name should be white,

something like this:

and the blue specop font color should be removed and it should be replaced with the official yellow color,

Last edited by Dragonathan on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:58 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

wouldn't work. in major multiplayer games with clans containing 100's of people *cough*counter-strike*cough* they don't have it.also, if you block all the "^" characters, a name (say mine) would show up as:
w<]2TAHw[>4Gn_2bilbo

because the color coding relies on ^(code letter/number) to identify it.

also, tags are there to be in your name and flash around. and many people, out of sheer laziness, would ignore the system.

another thing for identifying. squads usually have people of different builds, and they have thier names on thier backs. after training for hours on end, you learn to figure out who's who.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:11 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i think it should be programmable,

i do really mind the weird font characters,
what i've suggested would make evryone's display look more neat and clean though,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:38 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

MABY NAMES SHOULD BE ON THE BACK OF THE UNIFORM LIKE "SWAT" OR "DEA" IS IN REAL LIFE... CLAN INSIGNIA ABOVE FRONT POCKET...

JUST A THAUGHT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:57 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i think that would be difficult to code, unless the devs are capable to make the names look like real material textures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:26 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

another thing that i like to note:

names on the uniforms would just be a pure eye-candy, and it wouldnt be functional, i understand that eye-candy's dont need to be functional at all... but having player's names on the back would be over-do, and its also not really realistic, i dont mind game fictions but having names on uniforms is just too conspicuous, unless the names would appear very small on the uniforms than i wouldnt mind that.

and you can only see the name on the backside of your team mate. so you still could teamkill your team mates when theyre not turning their backs.
the reason that i suggested a better naming system is pure for the teamkill prevention.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:55 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the thing is, if the camos get changed so there is a nticable difference in dark places, names are not needed. however, I guess you could actually call the current system semi-realistic. you look at the person, you see thier name, and you know who they are until they go off-screen (by watching the player go by)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:55 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The quickest way to fix the name issue with those special characters is to disable the names from showing in the first place. If the game is to be more realistic and immersive, removing hud displays, this includes the names over the heads, is the best and only option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:23 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

huds has nothing to do with realism, as i said before, a game without hud is like playing chess with out a chess board.

rainbow six Vegas has an awesome looking hud, and the hud didnt demaged the realism at all,
http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/pot ... vegas6.jpg

huds is like an artwork that ornaments the hole game design, its a little bit extra, it shape up the game. a game with out interfaces/huds/additional features makes evrything feel bald and empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:57 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Realism is not a goal of any TomClancy game. If that is the case then make the hud look as good as you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:38 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

rainbow six vegas is realistic... so i dont know what your talking about...
its more realistic than TC:E, and rainbow six vegas has a more crowded hud/interface than tc:e, so huds has nothing to do with realism at all.

and what about Call of Duty, Brothers in arms, hyper realistic games, they have huds too you know.. and trust me the developers of those games know what they are doing, although i must say that i like the hud designs of TomClancy's games more, but the point is, game developers add hud's for the functionality, and also game design, it makes evrything look fancy"it all depends on the interface designer ofcourse"

hud's ease up new players, if hud's wasnt so importent than why are all the game developers still using Hud's?

hud's gives the game-design more characteristics.

if you think hud's are unrealistic, than you probably think that a menu popping outta your screen is unrealistic too :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:35 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

actually...

call of duty is NOT fully realistic. it has a crosshair, among other things. the realism mod for call of duty and united offensive single player (beyond the call of duty) removes 80% of the HUD. all you get is the health bar, an ammo counter, and a stance icon (only in UO, asit doubles as the stamina bar)

the original rainbow six was realistic. now, it has grown away from realism does it have ironsights? yes. do you die easily? yes. do game critics, as well as many experts on tactical gaming, agree that it has grown to be unrealistic? yes.

(see also: http://dslyecxi.com/bestoftactical.html , it has been linked a million times before, however, it is among the best pages on realism in games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:48 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

another post that doesnt makes sense like all the other post's you posted in all my threads:

it wrote:
it has grown away from realism, do you die easily? yes. .

in real life you die easily, yes... unlike tce, 3 bullets in the stomach and nothing happens, 2 bullets in the head, and still theres nothing happening,
if the devs wants realism than the demage rate should be high wich makes player's play more careful, and use tactics instead going in combat like rambo, thats realism

this is the final post im gonna reply for you it, cause all the things you say doesnt make sense,
goodbye it, whas a pleasure knowing you[NOT] [YOUR IGNORED ONCE AND FOR ALL]

Last edited by Dragonathan on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:54 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I agree the damage per bullet could be made higher. however, I would say handgun rounds should stay the way they are, except for a little increase for headshots.

also, I don't make sense? try listening to yourself sometimes. it is VERY hard to understand you. yes, I do wander around a bit in posts, but for the most part, I try to keep things organised together with similar items.

anyhoo, back to naming things. as it is, I think the naming system is OK, it could be tweaked, but I think it could wait until the major things are implemented and had final decisions (freeaim, new weapons, etc.) before a review.

however, one feature I would like, is after spotting a person (having them them near the center of your screen for a few seconds, then having the mane pop up) the name stays with them until they leave your view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:15 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Realistic isnt part of the RainBow Six series nor is it part of any tomclancy game. It only looks realistic because of its graphics and its tactical team gameplay. Beyond its shell, R6 and the rest of the TC games are all unrealistic beyond your imagination. The only realistic tactical team game ever made is Full Spectrum Warrior - it may not be anywhere near the photorealistic graphics of the TC games but its gameplay is as close to as real as you will get plus it is authentic.

Another game like that is Close Combat First to Fight, these two games, plus America's Army, Armed Assualt, and Operation Flashpoint are some of the very few games that represent authenticity, realism, and the serious topic of war and combat. Every other game was only made to entertain - primary reason to provide the savage violence of war into a form of easily digestable arcadish fun or even so-called realistic combat.

I like R6 however, but I will never call it realistic.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next