All times are UTC

Post subject: Ok from the very beginning
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:28 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Someone reccommended TC:E to me. I spent 3 hours download it and Wolfenstien. I sucessfully installed BOTH so I can click on the shortcut on my desktop and TC:E start Ok now I need rank beginner instructions.

First of all.

1.What ports numbers should I open on my software firewall (cioin order to connect to a multiplayer server?

2. What type of ports UDP or TCP

3. Incoming ports or Outgoing ports?

Second of all.

4. Is there somewhere I can get a description of keyboard shortcuts and mouse control combination?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:37 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the keymappings can be found in options under controls, but the vitals are listed at the end of this post:

for the firewall under windows, I'm not sure what the ports are, but if you go into windows firewall and make sure they aren't blocked, you'll be fine (or run ET, then when the firewall asks to block or not say unblock)

basic keys:

movement:
w - move forward
s - move backwards
a - strafe left
d - strafe right
space - jump/freeclimb
f - use/pick up/plant bomb / defuse bomb
q/e - lean left/right
c - crouch (toggle)
x - prone (toggle)
shift - sprint
caps lock - walk
weapons:
mouse wheel up/down - selects next/previous weapon
left click - fire
b - use ironsights
right click - (none, what I usually bind to sights)
number keys - select weapon (primary is 1, 2 is handgun, 3 is knife, 4 is frag grenades, 5 is flashbangs, 6 is smoke nades)

misc:
tab - view scores
` - opens console
l - deployment menu
, (comma)/ .(period) - zoom compass map in/out

it's reccomended that, if possible, you start a quick local game to get used to the maps and the keys.

hope I could help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:12 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it, when you have time, Fix this up and sticky it.. we should have started making that manual of ours months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:29 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I"ll even add the advanced controls ans stuff too. I should be able to do it later today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:24 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Alrighty. In the mean time ill try to get the publication software I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:47 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Alrighty. In the mean time ill try to get the publication software I need.

Not to sound like a commercial but you should try Scribus
Open Source Desktop Publishing
Scribus is an open source desktop page layout program with the aim of producing commercial grade output in PDF and Postscript, primarily, though not exclusively for Linux.
Scribus can be used for many tasks; from brochure design to newspapers, magazines, newsletters and posters to technical documentation. It has sophisticated page layout features like precision placing and rotating of text and/or images on a page, manual kerning of type, bezier curves polygons, precision placement of objects, layering with RGB and CMYK custom colors. The Scribus document file format is XML-based. Unlike proprietary binary file formats, even damaged documents, can be recovered with a simple text editor.
Scribus supports professional DTP features, such as CMYK color and a color management system to soft proof images for high quality color printing, flexible PDF creation options, Encapsulated PostScript import/export and creation of 4 color separations, import of EPS/PS and SVG as native vector graphics, Unicode text including right to left scripts such as Arabic and Hebrew via freetype. Graphic formats which can be placed in Scribus as images include PDF, Encapsulated Post Script (eps), TIFF, JPEG, PNG and XPixMap(xpm), and any bitmap type supported by QT3.
Printing, PDF and SVG creation are done via custom driver libraries and plug-ins, giving Scribus inventive features: the abilities to include presentation effects with PDF output, fully scriptable interactive PDF forms, SVG vector file output. The internal printer drivers fully support Level 2 and Level 3/PDF 1.4 postscript features including transparency and font embedding.
When run from KDE, Drag and Drop, for example from desktop to the canvas, is enabled. There is easy to use drag and drop scrapbook for frequently used items such as text blocks, pictures and custom shaped frames.
Homepage: http://www.scribus.net/

Windows users might find it easier to download from SourceForge.net and download the latest win32-install.exe package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I think there is a thread for the manual somewhere.

I rather use the programs I already know and mastered. It makes me more efficient that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:57 am 
Marksman
Marksman

it thanks for the very complete reply.

I found the key mapping just by clicking around in the interface.

I will try running ET. In fact I think I already have and have told the firewall to let it thru. One thing that I notice after searching the web for TCE and ET pages is that it seem that to do a multiplayer game you have to connect to a specific server. But the server's all have different port numbers this would play havok if I have to tell my firewall to allow a different port each time a switch servers. Am I correct in this?

How does one "start a quick local game "? I must have missed that in the interface. I assume that you mean playing against the computer without connecting over the net. Is that correct?

I did find this site:

http://www.rtcw.jolt.co.uk/content/tce/testguide/index.html

and this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Combat_Elite

But they describe the game and game play. They do not really tell you want to do after you install and you are sitting mystified like I am not.

In any case thanks and I will check back for answers to those two questions often

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:34 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

No that means starts a quick and temorary server to play against people who decide to go to your server/computer. WET has no official bots and there is no single player.