All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Private game development
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

So I have actually began the initial process of game design - I have help from it and name, both members of these forums. The gameplay concept is almost done - design documentation should be done by the weekends - plot and backstory is a bit rough but clearing itself out slowly.

I am in need of coders preferable QuakeC, C, and C++. I am also in need for additional artists for concept, modelling, animation, and texturing, aswell as levelediting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isnt an act of going against TCE or TT, its just something that would look really good on a resume and makes sense to pursue it right now for later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The planned engines are either a

Mod for;
WET/FEAR/Sauerbraten

or a complete game from the ground up from;
Visual3d.NET(ORGE3D)/Sauerbraten standalone/Quake3GPL

General idea;
Based right off the very ideas gathered from the forums - namely alot of Dragon's crazy ideas which just might work for a less serious arcadish shooter. The plan - a tactical FPS game played in thirdperson featuring various military tactics and unorthodox strategies - also played in firstperson for presicion shooting - but still retaining the Quakish style of gameplay.

In short, imagine Quake3 with ironsights... what? I might work you know, because it works for both the arcade fans and the tactical fans.

If you recall all the ridiculous suggestions given in these forums, they may sound bad for a realism shooter, but for an arcade shooter.. Its gonna be nice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in order for this to come true... those of us who are already trying to get into this business could group together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That gameplay style I have put copyrights to.. dont even think about it.. lol.. Join me http://z11.invisionfree.com/C2C_Games

PS, testers arent needed at the moment - just coders (QuakeC/C/C++) and artists (2d and 3d - Max,Zbrush)

Post subject: Re: Private game development
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:50 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
The planned engines are either a

Mod for;
WET/FEAR/Sauerbraten

or a complete game from the ground up from;
Visual3d.NET(ORGE3D)/Sauerbraten standalone/Quake3GPL

Hey, if you used Sauerbraten, I could be a mapper.... :P
I'm highly familiar with the engine and have tinkered with it a good bit (It's also suprisingly easy to customize the main menus, script events, and even modify gameplay).... plus, I've got plenty of free time to map.....
but otherwise, I can't help you in the least.

I would seriously like to see the Sauerbraten (or CubeII) engine to be put to good use, it seems to have a lot of potential, only it has nobody interested in trying it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:00 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well, we are still deciding on that. The key points we are looking for are ease of use and technological advancement - by that I mean must have normal maps, dynamic lights and shadows, shader support.. we may not be able to integrate all of these but it will be in the future.

BTW, what are the limitations of Sauerbraten - like max poly for models, the maps.. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:35 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Well, we are still deciding on that. The key points we are looking for are ease of use and technological advancement - by that I mean must have normal maps, dynamic lights and shadows, shader support.. we may not be able to integrate all of these but it will be in the future.

BTW, what are the limitations of Sauerbraten - like max poly for models, the maps.. etc.

the newest verison of Saur that I just downloaded has been upgraded a bit since the last version. It supports Bump-Mapping (already had that), it already has a nice system for generating some pretty detailed dynamic lights on a map at any time (it's kinda like how TT did the HDR in TCE, I beleive it shows up on the in game character models, but not the 3rd-person models as far as I know), and the newest version added in some shader technology, also they revamped the water to have some awesome reflections (they even call this version the "Water Edition")....check this out.....

There's only one problem, though.... when I try to load it, it gives me a "Win32 Exception" and freezes. I'm updating my video card drivers to see if that will work.... if not that will really suck.
Oh yeah, before I forget.... I don't know what the max poy-count is for models but it supports MD3s, and it seems if you have enough CPU power to back it up that the maps can go on practically forever....

Last edited by Evil_Muska on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:59 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

I wrote:
There's only one problem, though.... when I try to load it, it gives me a "Win32 Exception" and freezes. I'm updating my video card drivers to see if that will work.... if not that will really suck.

Ok, I finally got done updating my drivers and it now works! :P
It runs just fine (except when there's an excessive amount of water onscreen) and I found out something interesting.
You can now play Saur in 3rd-Person (the RPG levels are already set in 3rd-person, that's how I know), and I have to say it feels so much different.... even though it's basically the same gameplay-wise (plus the RPG levels are absolutely MASSIVE, and they run great on my rig).

Last edited by Evil_Muska on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:55 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

We Sauerbraten sounds really good. Plus we can mod it first, then once we have enough content go for the standalone GPL.

I will for the ORGE3d and Visual3d.NET to be released anytime this next few months.

Then I will decide between JupiterEX, Quake3, Sauerbraten, or OGRE3D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:02 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
We Sauerbraten sounds really good. Plus we can mod it first, then once we have enough content go for the standalone GPL.

I will for the ORGE3d and Visual3d.NET to be released anytime this next few months.

Then I will decide between JupiterEX, Quake3, Sauerbraten, or OGRE3D

Hmm... OGRE3D looks pretty impressive, but it probably has a much steeper learning curve that Saur (I know that's not how you spell it, but it's just an abbreviation).
I don't know how hard the Quake3 and JupiterEX (F.E.A.R.) engines are to learn, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:00 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Quake3 is the easiest because we already have experience with it through the game, games using the engine, and its mods. Judging by all the threads in these forums - all those discussions will give you a pretty much braod idea of what you can do.

OGRE3D might be a little harder. OGRE3D is a rendering engine not a game engine, but it comes with various prebuild SDK's with engiens such the the soon to come Visual3d.NET which integrates with MS Visual Studio (with free versions for both the SDK and the Visual Studio set - MS Visual Studio is much easier to use that programming right out of notepad)

JupiterEX is a bit more complexed, obviously, just look at FEAR, there are barely any mods outs. That probably sums it up, but if we were able to get this going with FEAR, we can make a mod - with great graphics, physics, and everything we might ever want - on a freely downloadable game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The design doc is going to be delayed for a moment. Yet I already have one of the weapon concepts which instead of going for the starwars look or the Quake look. I used parts from several existing weapons, cut them up and slapped them together. I specificaly choose parts from European design but stuck with some parts that I already have in stock such as M16 Colt receivers. Although I may still have to rebuild everything so that they fit together. I am aiming for 3 different versions of the model - 1 with 1000tris for Quake, 1 with 2500tris lowpoly, and 1 with 5000+ show model.
Sauerbraten on the otherhand, I have been eyeing for months. I hacve never really had the chance to try it out first so Im not really sure if it is any good or if it is easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:09 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

whatever engine you guys pick >_>

when it comes to weapons, I want a G11. we're doing total fantasy, so caseless=okay :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

caseless munitions? Im doing one using the new future force landwarrior technologies that have not been developed fully yet.

Plus this first concept is a rough draft - full size assault rifle not a carbine, uses a bullpup style with the magazine at the back and the grip and stock looks like the Dragunov SVD with a barrel that have a heat guard similar to the Mk.12 SPR - an M16 colt receiver and a carrying handle similar to a gun who's name and model I cant remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:11 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

like the Steyr AUG scopey thing?

or the FAMAS one?

I"ll post on the forums a few ideas I have, maybe some pics too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:12 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

how did you know? :lol: precisely that. FAMAS carrying handle with a top rail to slide it and lock optical attachments. The main sight is not an iron sight but a reflex sight attached the to holographic reddot sight. Under the main heatguard is the laser rangefinder for the holo reddot. The stock is similar to the SVD Dragunov with an adjustable setting. The magazine is a 40 round box type that slids in from the the stock. The receiver will be similar to the colt m16 receivers. Ill show you guys the 3d model ones I get started on it - perhaps done by next week (no textures yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:20 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Sauerbraten on the otherhand, I have been eyeing for months. I hacve never really had the chance to try it out first so Im not really sure if it is any good or if it is easy to use.

I know first-hand that Saur is easy to mod, has an in-engine map-maker, and has fast-paced Quake-Style gameplay.
Oh did I mention it has a gametype called "Coop Edit" where you can have multiple people (over the internet or LAN) editing the same map at the same time in real-time? That's the beauty of the Cube engine, as long as your not in the middle of a game (unless it's coop edit) you can just press E and edit any map in real-time, then press E again to seamlessly go back to gameplay. One other thing to note is the guy who built the engine also created the map-editor for FarCry (it's very similar, yet much more complex). Like I said, this engine has PLENTY of potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:19 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

That sounds great..

But first, we need to complete the design document, and all the concept ahs to be gathered, also we need to get more people, especially programmers. Then we can decide which one is best to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:30 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
That sounds great..

But first, we need to complete the design document, and all the concept ahs to be gathered, also we need to get more people, especially programmers. Then we can decide which one is best to use.

Sure thing.
If you decide to use Saur, give me a call. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next