All times are UTC

Post subject: v050 - Campaign Mode
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:36 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Campaign mode is a series of interconnected maps that play one after the other. This is currently enabled in WET. This allows servers to link maps to play one after the other in any order they want in a set.

TCE currently has this disabled.

Now, since TCE's details like the sides, Specops and the Unit need a backstory swell as they need to be incorporated into the game more than being a generic set of counter terrorists and terrorists.

If it would be possible to allow the maps to be integrated into a specific set of capaign maps that load the next map depending on the results of the previous game. With each map having a backstory and briefing for the loading screen. Wouldnt it make the game feel more immersive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:16 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

I thought about the possibility of a Campaign Mode for TC:E but I couldn't really find a good category to put it under. This would be more useful with 3rd Party maps and the administrator's that would create their own campaign modes.

I never really liked Campaign mode anyways in ET. The fact that my stats would go back to zip when the campaign was over. :angry:

Though, that wouldn't be a problem in TC:E. :)

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:17 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Ofcourse, with the fact that there are no stats in TCE just per game score creating Armament Availability per after game scoring.

The idea here is to crete atmosphere for the maps and missions rather than having a generic CS clone. Ofcourse this would solely be limited to one-life professional mode.

It should go it sets of maps under similar topics as a whole mission. Like:

Mission 1; break in (take control of control points on the map by pushing back the enemy until time runs out)

Mission 2a(if specops wins previous round); free hostages
Mission 2b(if tango wins previous round); elimitate remaining specops (they would attempt to kill all the specops team ; a simple death match game ; if they win they win the campaign ; if specops wins, continue to mission 2a)

Mission 3(if specops wins mission 2a); find and defuse bomb (random placeable or carryable bomb) ; (if specops win, they win the campaign ; if tangoes win and the bomb detonates they win the campaign)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:59 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

But what happens if you fail the mission? You completely start over from the beginning or start from the previous mission...

It's more confusing ot me than practical.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:27 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well, that depends, if the server has more campaign sets then they can load the next set after which, when there are no more less, maybe randomly load a random set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:56 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Meh, I can't think of how this would work though.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:15 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it would most likely be official maps only. This is the same method that was going to be used by Price of Peace. That is exactly how the campaign mode for PoP was design but it was more on deathmatch tstyle taking control of control points on a map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

wasn't PoP going to play by doing one map (i.e., beach landing) then if the allies win, it moves forward to the next (capture and hold the town) then if they lose, it goes back to beach.

I think that every map there should be respawning, becuse after a battle, I'm sure that a unit which has suffered heavy losses gets some help.

and if not, it's just plain boring to sit out an entire campaign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:39 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

thats where the reinfocments come in. thus I said; finish of any specops remaining outside, that would mean the reinforcements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:49 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

So when the Spec Ops lose all their men, it's Campaign-Over?

The only possible way I could think about this working would be if you started in the middle and everytime your team lost, you would go back one level for the second round...

Here's what I mean:

You start at point F and if your team wins you go to map G but if you lose you go to map E. And if you lose at map A, you lose the campaign. But if you win at map I (The last map in the campaign), you win the campaign.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

it depends on the campaign and what it is about, but yeah thats the idea. I am now using my new pc. just finished setting it up.

Post subject: I like
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:31 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I like this idea of campaign style play... I get it... team A had to push forward through each map to get to the final objective on map E (or however far). While its team B's object to push team A backwards through maps to map A and stop them from completing map A.
Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:05 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

According the the new posts, creating new objective based missions following ET's campaign structure should be possible. It can be done by the mapper although what we dont know if it is supported by TCE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think this is a good idea, but instead of Team A starting at map A out of 5 maps, both teams should 'begin the campaign' in map C So that either team can win and then proceed to which ever direction, rather than if the losing team was the ones attacking then the campaign is over.

I'm starting to confuse even myself. But basically make campaigns an odd number of maps 'long' and always have the campaign start on the 'middle' map.

I hope you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:58 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

you mean a 5 map tug of war. Whay I meant by starting off wtih map A all the way to map E was one team defends the other attacks, so the attacking team has to push the defending team to the other side to win. To make it easier for the attacking team they would initially have the advantage. Later on if they do good, then it gets harder later in the campaign. If the attacking team does lose on map A, the teams switch. The idea will show who is the better team depending on who was able to reach map E.