Master
Master

Cry For Free: Crysis 2 Editor, CryEngine SDK
In August 2011

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 am 
Expert
Expert

UDK is already there and supports up to dx11 graphic effects :) So I doubt that crysis2 would have much of an impact :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 am 
Master
Master

Well Crysis 2 will have dx11 patch for PC only
Anyway is there any good allready released or upomming FPS game ? except
http://www.tactical-assault.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 am 
Master
Master

luka wrote:
Well Crysis 2 will have dx11 patch for PC only
Anyway is there any good allready released or upomming FPS game ? except
http://www.tactical-assault.com/

And i think Project:CQB looks good too. Though its going to be retail game at the end. Alpha is going to be free.

About cry3engine. Im not too excited mostly because my PC cant run it. But as its going to be totaly open (free to modify?) im curious would there be some scalable/watered down versions of it. It would be huge benefit if the engine could be tweaked as much as lets say darkplace (like nexuiz) or Q-fusion. UDK atleast looks good and runs well on older systems.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:46 pm 
Master
Master

Quote:
About cry3engine. Im not too excited mostly because my PC cant run it.
Is this a fact or a guess?

From what I've heard, you can optimize the graphics in Cry Engine 3 to make it run smoothly on older systems.

The guys at Crytek are going to have to pull off something big to steal some of UDK's crowd since CryEngine isn't at the top of it's game any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:20 am 
Master
Master

well 4 years old mid price laptop is a bit aged, it has geforce 8xxx mid price card and AMD dual core which are these days bare minimum but the actual reason why im sceptical is because videocards core is underclocked from 700mhz to 500 mhz and processor from either 2.1 or 2.0 ghz to 1.9 ghz.

Im still strugling with the heat problem it originaly had (and that did break it a while ago. After we did a bit research we saw that NVIDIA Would pay the waranty replace even though it was out of date. They did anounche somewhere that they would have longer waranty for their 8xxx mobile series which have had massive heat problems)

So even though it would run on minimum gfx settings the heat would start to stress too much and make it perform like crap.

But fine, i wait for the first indies to come and judge then. Just wish some indies would utilize cry1engine since it seems to be like a perfect engine for laptops.

Btw, looking at moddb.com news makes me wonder..... Could those indie games be ported or developed on consoles? In the article they say its the same engine what they used for crysis 2. Crysis 2 ran nicely on consoles (and looks good, amazing for multi plat engine especialy on ps3s situation.)

www.moddb.com/engines/cryengine-3/news/ ... 3#comments

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:02 pm 
Master
Master

Quote:
Just wish some indies would utilize cry1engine since it seems to be like a perfect engine for laptops.
That would be pointless. CryEngine 1 seems to run better because there is far less content in it, not because it is more optimized for older PC's than CryEngine 2 or 3.

Quote:
Btw, looking at moddb.com news makes me wonder..... Could those indie games be ported or developed on consoles? In the article they say its the same engine what they used for crysis 2
Porting the game to a console is not a big effort these days since the engine does most of the work for you. Licensing is the problem here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:59 am 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
Quote:
Just wish some indies would utilize cry1engine since it seems to be like a perfect engine for laptops.
That would be pointless. CryEngine 1 seems to run better because there is far less content in it, not because it is more optimized for older PC's than CryEngine 2 or 3.

But its still fact it does run better. Maybe it doesnt slap as much polies or things to render at the same time. If its all up to the amount of detail and cry3 engine will run at the same speed delivering same content then im all cool with it.

Quote:
Btw, looking at moddb.com news makes me wonder..... Could those indie games be ported or developed on consoles? In the article they say its the same engine what they used for crysis 2
Porting the game to a console is not a big effort these days since the engine does most of the work for you. Licensing is the problem here.[/quote]

Was just thinking that would those royalties be too big if one wanted to develope a console game which would be downloaded via PSN or XBL.

Atleast i know that you cant use GPL'd engine for console game and if you would, you have to close the source by buying the lisence. Here you dont have to think about lisencing of the engine.

Some devs or publishers have also special deals with such a services like Steam currently has done. (with unreal engines, prime examples being killing floor, red orchestra, defence alliance 2) was thinking if crytek had something like that.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:35 pm 
Master
Master

RedRuM wrote:
But its still fact it does run better. Maybe it doesnt slap as much polies or things to render at the same time.
In that case you're asking for simpler graphics, not an outdated engine.