All times are UTC

Post subject: More ambient sound
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:40 am 
Marksman
Marksman

I just started playing TCE a few weeks ago and I think the game's most frustrating bit of unrealism is how quietly players move through the levels. In TCE it's easy to run up a staircase and remain unnoticed by an enemy who's standing at the top of it. In real life, there's no way he wouldn't hear your feet pounding up those stairs. If you're crouched next to a corner and waiting for an enemy to come around, you have no way of hearing his footsteps and he doesn't have to worry about the noise he makes alerting you.

It's true that in combat situations, people often become much less attentive toward their surroundings and won't notice things like footsteps in the next room. Still, in cases like the above example of waiting for an enemy to come through a door real-life combatants would be paying attention to every little sight and sound. If footsteps, reloads and other player actions could be heard from farther away it would add a lot of tactical depth to the game. Imagine having a heated firefight, hearing your enemy start to reload his gun, and then running to shoot him before he can finish.

In order to preserve the realism of not being able to hear nearby footsteps, etc. when you're running around in combat with a high adrenaline level, the devs could make it so that it's relatively easy to hear ambient sounds when you're standing or walking with a gunsight, but hard to hear when you're running or sprinting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:57 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Hmm... Never thought about it. Or they could have you breathing heavily after you run a lot so you can't really hear anything but your asthma induced breathing. :P

I like the idea. The ambient sound would alos decrease with the more gunfire that goes off by your head. You'll hear the same type of ringing if a grenade goes off by you.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:20 pm 
High Master
High Master

Yeah, I have often complained about this.

ETF, which is goddamn Team Fortress, has much louder footsteps.

I don't remember which one it was, but one of those WWII games had the player sounds down perfectly. Loud footsteps depending on how you moved, different footsteps for different surfaces, and the rustling and clinking of all your gear. It was simply awesome. Made room to room stuff much more exciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:28 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the most simple solution for this issue,
is to add 1 more speed grate, "the slow movement".

currently you're only able to move "normal" and "fast"
but theres no slow movement.

read this thread:
http://truecombat.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=443

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:48 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

You mean the CoD environment ambience. In CoD after running for some time, your accuracy is bad, and your character is breathing hard. Or when you get shot, the bloddy view on your screen doesnt go away immediately and yuo breathe heavily. Then the environments are alive with background gun fire and squad commos shouting. Well, the environments ambience is up to the mapper. The heavy breathing is up to the devs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:08 pm 
High Master
High Master

Yeah, that must have been it.

Dragon, there is already a slow move speed. I don't know how foreign keyboards are set up, but default settings assign it to capslock. Slow movement also allows you to move silently.

In ET (and RtCW), it also allowed you to open doors slowly and quietly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:13 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

kozak6 wrote:
keyboards are set up, but default settings assign it to capslock. Slow

well it doesnt work, i've tried a couple of times,
it just didnt work,

oh and another thing. all keyboards in europe/usa are the same,
accept arabic and asian keyboards, i guess,

so i use the same keyboard your using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:23 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I put it on shift because caps lock is a toggle key and because I use it as a default for teamspeak. besides that the shift key is much more easily accesible. I used the keyboard mapping guide from America's Army, and modified it a bit to suit my needs. If you want to see it I can email it to you but remember that I cant publish it around the web until I make my own (its only edited). PM me if you want to see the template for keyboard mapping. Its jsut a bmp with a graphic image of a standard keyboard, you can then type in the binds as a printable guide for all FPS games you play. so technically my controls are all based on the same thing.

Back to the ambience, the kinds of ambience we can have is mostly civie screams for mercy and dont shoot me, Police cars, ambulance, and fire fighters, puls of course we cant forget weather sounds like wind, rain, and thunder. Now that I mentioned it, lightning effect lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Back to the ambience, the kinds of ambience we can have is mostly civie screams for mercy and dont shoot me, Police cars, ambulance, and fire fighters, puls of course we cant forget weather sounds like wind, rain, and thunder. Now that I mentioned it, lightning effect lighting.

this does add more immersion in the gane,

ohh and about rain.
i think the rain in TC:E looks unrealistic,
you dont have the feel that your really in the rain,
because there is no pool of water, you cant see the rain drops falling on your weopon, that would realistic if we can see that happening.

but than again there should be a GRAPHICS/TEXTRUES/MODELS/ANIMATION
topic section about this, so we can discuss about these kind of things in there.

so lets keep talking about ambient sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:02 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

its like what was said before in the other forums. In snow, if your a sniper, the snow should land on your gun and cover up your scope, even frost it up making sniper's less effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:13 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

there should be a: GRAPHICS/TEXTRUES/MODELS/ANIMATION topic opened
so we can discuss about these kind of stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:38 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Your sounding repetative. And if you are so desperate for one of these topics just post it somewhere so everyone can go there and stare at the screen in awe, or stupidiy, whatever their case may be.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:50 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the admins have control of that not the moderators. You cant keep telling me to add the forum section because I cant do that either.

I can now imagine TCE maps with bg ambience. the only thing is, adding too much of this to recreate the CoD feel isnt very practical in TCE. the only ambience youll get will be civies screaming for their lives. People shouting , dogs barking, birds chirping away, squirrels running around, need I mention fish? Not all the maps even have weather effects. But if they did, it would be good to make them sound like a real storm and not just seeing a bunch of low poly triangles fall from the sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:51 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

I understand, it's just "it" that doesn't. :P

You should become an admin just for that purpose I think.

Xeno for Admin! lol

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:54 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

do you mean "it" as in referring to the game or are you referring to "bilbobaggins - it"? Me, admin, here? lol That means more work requested by Dragon.