Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: TCE desperately needs an update.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49 pm 
Master
Master

Anti aliasing can be forced in Nvidia settings, I don't see a reason why you can't do that on AMD cards. I've been playing with 2x AA and some anisotropic filtering pretty much the whole time. ENBseries support should be easy stuff, at one point as far as I know you could apply ENB to anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
As for the maps, well, They would be much better if i was not limited by ET
Rudy, come over to teh darkside, we haz cookiez.

For the game to be on Steam, you need to insert their wrappers. IDK if that's a possibility
for Coroner at this moment ? Also, wasn't it that not codewise, but content wise (TC uses
textures and if not mistaken models from ET) posed the biggest problem for a standalone?
Zipping a pre-installed TC pack is something everybody can do.....Just saying...

We could update things without Coroner, but we'll be limited to parts that haven't been
altered for use in TC. Change it in the vanilla ET engine, insert TC and hope it works.

Imho, not ET:Legacy, but Xreal should be tried, tested and adapted to work with TC.

Everyone :
You do know that particular graphical updates would require a completely other way of how
geometry is built ? In the end you're still limited to the methods that can apply to the
current geometry. Do this and you'll find out why : Go into Northport, export the big red
shed by material. Give 'tin' a bumpmapped texture and go to the back of the building and
look at the sides of the door, going up.....that's why it won't work. Additionally : our 1to1
map conversions have a lower polycount than the original maps...

The never ending dance of the TC community
I guess we can dance in circles year in, year out and still end up at the same place we
started out. ET:Legacy has been tried, didn't work, not much options left out there to try
and not a lot of people skilled enough to work on updating the engine (coz doing it from
scratch would make more sense). The ET engine has been open source long enough, still
not a single satisfying, stable fork has been produced and that should tell you plenty.

Guys, maybe time to accept that True Combat Elite is an epic vintage game, made on a
legacy engine. TC pulled the max beauty out of the ET engine and it's simply THE BEST
LOOKING game on the ET engine PERIOD. You guys want Coroner to make you a sexy
TC ? Get him a license to launch MWTC as a standalone.... a MWTC without ANY Cod
content that is..... But we still would face the problem : Does he have the time for it.
If you want an updated engine, new animations etc. then holding on to the ET engine
might be barking up the wrong tree.

Northport 2014 : No bump, No normal maps, just 2k-4K textures, specular map on 3 materials
and a sunlight that needs tweaks ::::: http://i59.tinypic.com/dazpl.jpg
(not to mention that the big shed in the back wasn't finished when taking the screenie)

ps YKS : You're describing cocking the gun, not selecting firemode, that 'switch' is on the
side of the gun. Try reloading one if you're right handed, you'll see that TC animation is fairly
accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Caesar77 wrote:
ps YKS : You're describing cocking the gun, not selecting firemode, that 'switch' is on the
side of the gun. Try reloading one if you're right handed, you'll see that TC animation is fairly
accurate.

Nope, you are severely mistaken. yks is correct in that AK-series weapons have the safety/fire-selector on the right side of the gun. Although I would admit that if I could change it I would use the right hand (similar to AA2) rather than the left hand as he suggested.

yks wrote:
I agree that reload animations are outdated, and some do not make sense. I also got interented how they can be updated.http://www.truecombatelite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2571

I just looked at that thread and it appears to have a great deal of misinformation regarding the animations. One can, in essence, modify the animations of any gun or whatever else but in general it is difficult and likely not practical compared to creating new animations. But it can indeed be done. I should note that there is plenty of missing information and incorrect assumptions about the model/animation process in WolfET. This is likely due to the lacking number of people who've done any significant changes or actually gone through the process themselves. And many of those who have, are long gone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm 
Expert
Expert

http://50ae.net/VZ-vs-AK/init-1-c.jpg

They're both on the right side ;-) Think he means the shiny thingy, the fire selector on
every gun is made so you can flip it without too much trouble. He called it cocking mechanism
in the thread linked, hence the correction.

Anybody who knows how to convert the ET/Animation file to a Blender readable format ?
Srry, I don't want to spent money on a program that I only will use for one single conversion...

With a bit of patience I probably can convert any updated result back to ET animation,
although I'd rather commit to updating/extending the ET animation formats so it can read
more modern formats. Implementing something like http://assimp.sourceforge.net/ would
be nice to start with.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:35 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I'm kind of surprised nobody has suggested moving over the UE4 now. It's an improvement in every aspect to UE3. The mapping tools are top notch, and the programming is pretty easy too.

Something tells me you're not going to get an influx of players with a significant release of some sort. As in, the whole thing needs to be overhauled about now.

The good news is that lots of the old assets could be easily ported to get all the basic mechanics working just like in WET. All we'd need is the source files (didn't liquid release lots of those a while back?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised nobody has suggested moving over the UE4 now.

Already been suggested months ago, when it wasn't out yet. Current work on Tango
Down (UE remake of TC:E) is in the Unreal Engine 3 until UE4 is 100% bug free.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2513&p=31804#p31804
The reason why it's not sensible to use the UE4 for something other than Windoz PC is
because it has a few issues. Will be fixed in a few months, so it's a bit of a wait.

Quote:
The good news is that lots of the old assets could be easily ported to get all the basic mechanics working just like in WET.

Srry, that's a no go.... there is no 'easy' way and TC:E source code is irrelevant to porting.
* Maps need to be redone, building by building from ground up, UV assigned and unwrapped and a lightmap layer added correctly.
* ALL game models used need correct UV mapping + a lightmap layer
* Principles of Animation, Vertex based animation(ET) is something entirely different from what UE uses
* You know those nice round shapes used in pipes ? Well, those don't export to Blender
* e.g. Climbing routine can't be copied-pasted, it works differently, thus needs to be done from scratch
* Textures with sizes lower than 512-1024 look kinda....vague ?

Etc Etc Etc Etc.

An insert here and copy-paste method does not apply to porting ET games to the Unreal
Engine. I wish I could say that there was such a thing as easy conversion, but there isn't.
A port to the Unreal Engine, Unity3D, CryEngine or other next-gen engine needs to be
done from the ground up, from scratch, no other option.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:41 pm 
Master
Master

Like i said, its all down to Coroner, Dušan, the creator of OpenWolf http://www.moddb.com/games/openwolf has offered to supply a standalone version of his engine soley for TCE/CQB but he is unable to make contact with Coroner and neither is anyone else. With out Coroner and access to code for those able to help, TCE as we know it probably wont last much longer. Also, to quote a fellow TC player
Quote:
Alot of TCE players are like autistic kids, they dont like change

So, who knows what future or life is left in the game.

Last edited by Dim$tar on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:34 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Caesar77 wrote:
Quote:
I'm kind of surprised nobody has suggested moving over the UE4 now.

Already been suggested months ago, when it wasn't out yet. Current work on Tango
Down (UE remake of TC:E) is in the Unreal Engine 3 until UE4 is 100% bug free.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2513&p=31804#p31804
The reason why it's not sensible to use the UE4 for something other than Windoz PC is
because it has a few issues. Will be fixed in a few months, so it's a bit of a wait.

Quote:
The good news is that lots of the old assets could be easily ported to get all the basic mechanics working just like in WET.

Srry, that's a no go.... there is no 'easy' way and TC:E source code is irrelevant to porting.
* Maps need to be redone, building by building from ground up, UV assigned and unwrapped and a lightmap layer added correctly.
* ALL game models used need correct UV mapping + a lightmap layer
* Principles of Animation, Vertex based animation(ET) is something entirely different from what UE uses
* You know those nice round shapes used in pipes ? Well, those don't export to Blender
* e.g. Climbing routine can't be copied-pasted, it works differently, thus needs to be done from scratch
* Textures with sizes lower than 512-1024 look kinda....vague ?

Etc Etc Etc Etc.

An insert here and copy-paste method does not apply to porting ET games to the Unreal
Engine. I wish I could say that there was such a thing as easy conversion, but there isn't.
A port to the Unreal Engine, Unity3D, CryEngine or other next-gen engine needs to be
done from the ground up, from scratch, no other option.

I didn't mean source code. I was talking about assets. And I've been working professionally with UE4 since long before it went public. It's a lot less buggy than UE3 (I've worked with it professionally too.)

Didn't liquid release a bunch of source assets a while back? I could ask him if he has anything on Skype sometime. He sent me a map a while back when I working on a bsp compiler.

Please realize that one month of work in UE4 is closer to two months of work in its predecessor. It's that huge of a productivity boost.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:38 pm 
Master
Master

Caesar77 wrote:
Rudy, come over to teh darkside, we haz cookiez.

No, And nice hijacking on the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

Only a warning for anyone in the mood for investing time in xreal based TC project - xreal engine has more bugs than new features, is terribly documented and major pain-in-the-bottom to work with.

The only realistic option is UDK, and this means recoding everything. It is a pity that mr. You-know-who never managed to release CQB properly (with q3TC1.2 style OBJ working and with custom content enabled).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

affine wrote:
Didn't liquid release a bunch of source assets a while back? I could ask him if he has anything on Skype sometime. He sent me a map a while back when I working on a bsp compiler.

Liquid released some of his models that were intended for 0.491/0.50. These are not to be confused with the models currently located in the 0.49b release. But of course all the assets are open to being converted to different engines/formats, though the animations could be troublesome to convert as most engine nowadays use bone/skeletal animations rather than the old per-vertex animation of Q3.

Overall, I think any movement towards a new engine would likely not bring much change. The old audience has long since moved on and new players are bombarded with enough equivalents these days. It'd probably be worth it to drop the TC name and come up with something new cause it won't attract anyone anymore, if it ever did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:50 pm 
Master
Master

I've been digging around and think it would be possible to add a 3rd and 4th team, although again that would mean communication with Coroner as TCE/CQB hardcode would prevent this, even if it was added to the TC Standalone Engine.

Example..
Four teams, each team starts with bomb, the first team to plant and blow the objective wins.

Visual and rendering updates are not all that i meant with the title of this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 am 
Master
Master

With random spawns ? coz when ppl spawn all gonna sniper camp for bomb spot.
This is problem with every SQD (Squad DeadMatch) in most of games they even can spawn on players and then all gonna camp. VIP (old video was alleady on forum) would be better :P

We need get TCE to steam :)

So point to get it to steam via greenlight is TCE just to be standalone ?

I got that answer

Quote:
Hello Luka,

We ask that you first get permission to distribute your Mod on Steam from the organization that owns the rights to Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Since your mod uses their code and assets from that product, it is important to make sure they are okay with those materials being redistributed via Steam as part of your Mod. At the same time, it would probably be best to ask them the right way to distribute your mod, as it would need to be a stand-alone product (we do not currently distribute Wolfenstein Enemy Territory via Steam). That may involve including some necessary core engine components in your mod, so it is important to get permission to do that as well.

Cheers!

-Alden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 pm 
Master
Master

CQB_DIM
ETXREAL
Some new weapons from Yourself[PL]

Last edited by Dim$tar on Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:02 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

WHOA! Nice! Would be better with anti-aliasing IMHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next