All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: CQB ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

Coroner, what do you need to change if you want it to be combatible with ET:L? I tried TC:E with ET:L and it worked fine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

There's this story that comes to my mind when I read the posts in this thread.
And It's about 'Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat', that game started as a mod for Half-life 2 and it was a success on Steam back then. So after a couple of years New World Interactive -developers of Insurgency series- decided to take their mod to a whole new level, they went on Kickstarter and just a few months ago they reached their goal and are currently beta testing and profiting on Steam with the next stage of their game 'Insugency 2'.

So this is a good example of the direction the True Combat series should take in my opinion or something similar. The only problem is the developers team, True Combat needs a solid developers team.

Also there are games on Kickstarter that will launch as free-to-play so If Coroner will sell TrueCombat or not, that's a decition He must take.

I hope this is enough to inspire or convince you Coroner that you can do something much, much greater with your game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 pm 
Master
Master

Insurgency never reached the goal. $66,582 pledged of $180,000 goal.

Link to Insurgency 2 kickstarter

They still develop the game and now make money by Steam early access, but Kickstarting was unsuccessful. Should Coroner get a team? If the man himself wants to make something serious out of TC, then yes, get a team. Then again, who the hell wants to work on a game with an absolute free to play model?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:09 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Haraldzz wrote:
Insurgency never reached the goal. $66,582 pledged of $180,000 goal.

Wow I wasn't so sure about that, thanks for correcting me. I thoght I've read somewhere on the internet they reached the goal.

Anyways, the point is... if Coroner is going to release a revamped CQB that's awesome. But Coroner what will happen after you release that new version? will you just leave it there into the void of the internet waiting for players to come and play?
or will you and maybe us (the community) start a massive advertising campaing with gaming press and all that to bring new players to the game. Otherwise the game will only be useful for LAN parties and maybe for some of the remaining fans of the game and in the end the game dies.

So what will you develop for Coroner? just for fun and see what happens? or are you coming real serious with this new version?
It's your choice, the games lives or you could just shut down the series.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:37 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Haraldzz wrote:
Then again, who the hell wants to work on a game with an absolute free to play model?

If it is open-source and anyone can contribute easily (meaning an open development model instead of a "developers team" where you have to jump through funny loops to contribute fixes), the likeliness it quite high that a developers community forms and takes this game to the next level. A realistic FPS is actually something that is asked for quite often as a open-source game.

But you are right, a closed source mod (as seen with the failed COD attempt) will neither attract developers nor many players especially if it has a track-record like TC has of slow and often abandoned development (not to say that what was achieved never the less isn't great!).
Popular open-source games on the other hand hardly ever die or stop development for a longer period of time. If one developer has a break, normally another one tries to fill the gap.
This is of course not guaranteed, but the likeliness is much higher, than with a closed development system.
And I think new players (and potential contributors) are really attracted by games that show a steady stream of development and improvements.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:03 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Coroner, also remember that if you release the source but still wish to retain control of the art assets, that's perfectly ok, and totally compatible with a GPL source release. It also may be advised, if you don't want other people to use TCE's artwork for commercial purposes. A simple artwork license restricting all commercial/non-commercial usage of any TCE art assets outside of the game without the author's permission should be more than enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6