Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 am 
Expert
Expert

He is probably 28 - 32..
Anyway.. after playing modern games (Metro 2033, ...) and seeing trailers of rage and similar games, I somehow don't see a point in developing games on 11 years old idtech3 platform. It is just too much hassle for not enough effect. Even developing on idtech4 is somehow pointless (lack of lightmaps on doom3 for example, lack of parallax mapping, etc - with the exception of brink or QW - still, their visual style is far from lifelike grungy industrial feel of TC maps). Xreal was at one time very promising. However, low FPS count on base ETXreal (with all novel graphical features disabled) together with tons of graphical glitches (especially on ATI hardware) and instability problems make xreal/etxreal worthless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

I absolutely agree with you - nevermind the quantity of eye candies, low poly will stay low poly. I think it's quite unrealistic to single-handedly try to develop a modern shooter that hopes to compete against the newest games. Not that I don't admire the effort, or appreciate the quality and good design we've come to expect from Coroner, but the ambition is quite great...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Hi, I am still alive. I am, however, not working on CQB at the moment.
After a lot of engine considerations (without conclusion) and being myself fed up with low-poly ET player models and the lack of bump and specular maps, I digged a bit into cod4 scripting for my next private LAN. I've set up the basic TC characteristic different weapons for different team based on the openwarfare mod. Too sad that I don't have time to convert a map to cod4. I also guess already mentioning cod4 here as a basis for a TC like mod is a "no go" :)
Anyhow, the map editor is the best radiant ever, the engine runs smooth and the graphics could even be massively beefed up over cod4 stock maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, let me get this right, Coroner... are you testing other engines to make annother mod or convert CQB? Or neither? I am really confused about it ... sorry for ask, but I am one of those who expect a lot of CQB, and would like to know what to expect now ... thanks for give us a life signal ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 pm 
Expert
Expert

Denner: Changing the game engine means leaving most of the TCE/cqb stuff behind. The player model has to be new in any case and tce/cqb textures are aged (a very modest expression btw), but all the weapons and movement code is lost too. Question of new game engine is a very tough one (another modest statement here). Mostly because there are few (if any) suitable free engines, and creating game on commercial engine that doesn't have big enough audience is pointless (who will buy game X just to try total conversion/mod Y???). Small playerbase usually also means bad anticheat support.
Let's hope that Rage won't dissapoint (and that it will be mod-friendly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:08 pm 
Master
Master

sxy wrote:
Denner: Changing the game engine means leaving most of the TCE/cqb stuff behind. The player model has to be new in any case and tce/cqb textures are aged (a very modest expression btw), but all the weapons and movement code is lost too.
I disagree. Most of CoD4 animations seem to be implemented into MW2 and BO, for an example. Most importantly the additional (lean) animations.

Quote:
Question of new game engine is a very tough one (another modest statement here). Mostly because there are few (if any) suitable free engines, and creating game on commercial engine that doesn't have big enough audience is pointless (who will buy game X just to try total conversion/mod Y???). Small playerbase usually also means bad anticheat support.
Come to think of it, CoD4 provides a good enough platform regarding it's mod support. I'm starting to like the idea.

Quote:
Let's hope that Rage won't dissapoint (and that it will be mod-friendly).
I'm not too optimistic regarding the level design (close quarters maps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, Thank you all for clarifying my mind. If the changes means something better, I fully agreed and I'll await the first results. Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

I wouldn't put much hope into Rage. As I have said earlier it is not even clear how far the modding capabilities will reach. Probably mapping from scratch will not be possible.

I also think that TCE/CQB textures are not aged. With mild specular and bump maps added I would port the majority by any means, there are even 1024 pixel versions of some.

Right now I am just toying around with cod4 as base engine. Modding is limited because it is script based, but on the other hand the game is already 90% of what I would like to have. With some script settings in openwarfare I already have TCE like bomb/defuse with separate weapons per team after some hours of editing. That's impressive.

I f one would cosider moving to cod4, it would be mainly porting of maps (base geometry can be easily ported!), maps assets if wanted (quite easy), some textures (to keep the visuals) and weapon models (requires ppl with maja, otherwise there is a painful way using my old milkshape). It would of course mean goodbye to portal scopes, super realistic lightmaps. However, hello to decent dynamic shadows, all pixel shader options, decent stock player models, and an engine that offers good enough visuals for many years to come. Easy transition and very much improved radiant for mappers, too.

And trust me, a mod on cod4 doesnt have to feel nor exactly look like cod4 :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:53 am 
Expert
Expert

Damien: I was talking about leaving behind TCE/WET player model (something that is not bad at all) and "new player model" was meant in more broad sense (like getting completely new or only modifying existing model from a new game engine).

I don't know much about modding capabilities of rage. I only barely remember reading somewhere that it will come with the official ID editing tools. (not sure about SDK at all) However, it seems (at least from trailers) interesting platform (stable 60hz rendering, capable of rendering indoor and outdoor scenes), but lack of dedicated servers and questionable SDK seems quite problematic to me.

512x512 and 512x1024 textures? :) On 24" 1920x1200 monitor? :) I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you. Of course, those are OK for small surfaces and for "clean" textures that don't have lots of details (so that the repetition pattern won't be noticeable). Bump and specular maps also help adding details in texture/material but only so to some extent.
But IMO, even 1024^2 textures are sometimes too small if you want to cover a lot of scenery, have lots of details in texture and don't want repetition to be too noticeable (big building with smaller windows and damaged façade showing bricks - being one example). But then again, this is only my amateur opinion. ;)
Also, you can check the high-res texture pack for Doom3 and compare it to stock game. You will definitely see the difference :)

ps: http://www.pcgames.de/Doom-3-dt-PC-1630 ... ik-836537/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 pm 
Master
Master

coroner wrote:
It would of course mean goodbye to portal scopes, super realistic lightmaps.
Corroner made me sad ;(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:05 pm 
Master
Master

So that mean we can expect tce mod for cod4 ? cod4 is 6€ so i think most of tce ppl will buy it and many allready own it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:26 pm 
Master
Master

luka wrote:
So that mean we can expect tce mod for cod4 ? cod4 is 6€ so i think most of tce ppl will buy it and many allready own it
Poor ID tech - get's left without any cool mods :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:39 am 
Expert
Expert

that's a pretty *i-need-a-broader-vocab* good idea actually, i haven't seen any realistic modern mod in the style of TC:E, though i've seen maps like northport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:44 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I miss this game cause it was awesome and I just hope TC:E gets a revive no matter how.. good luck Coroner and to the players waiting..

Hope it'll work out..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:54 am 
Expert
Expert

I have a bunch of next-gen weapon models rotting on my computer, but I use max, not maya. If someone would be willing to convert them, you can have them.