All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:53 pm 
Master
Master

Blunt Weapon Strikes. +1 Commando Perk gets knife. +1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:36 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

jussi wrote:
Btw its kinda unrealistic that you die in 0 sec if you get shooted in the chest like 5 times.. IRL you could maybe walk for a few seconds..

Or knife stab.. u dont die instantly.

I think the knife should have drastically reduced damage...if its included for everyone.

Regarding your first point, people might want to read: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publi ... t04leb.pdf, from about pg14.

I agree Baal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:25 am 
Master
Master

PL_Harpoon wrote:
hoak wrote:
Eqpe wrote:
Why take away the knife?

No one is suggesting 'taking away' anything,

How do you 'take away' something that isn't there?

PL_Harpoon wrote:
And so far Craterus' idea seems best IMO. And Coroner seemed to like it, so there's no need for you cutthroats to panic
As a matter of fact, I suggested it ;):)

It's usually more the fact that people who troll with baiting remarks are also more inclined to panic and throat cutting... If anything needs to be 'taken away', it's that...

:roll:

Craterus wrote:
Regarding your first point, people might want to read: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publi ... t04leb.pdf, from about pg14.

I agree Baal.

Yes a good article, and is the sort of thing any Developer interested in incorporating or at least keeping some sense of scale in a realism shooter should take a look at. The FBI FTA Wound Ballistics Workshop publishes extensive papers on exit ballistics, comparitive ballistics, body armor, after action and combat casualty statistics.

I used to post links to their reports and some definitive stats on the original TC:E forums, but facts and science only piss some people off who take game and Hollywood canon as some sort of religion higher then reality.

But TC:E never was to-scale, I guess it was silly to hope for more from it in its dsy, and I doubt CQB will be either -- hopefully though R6 and S4 Fans hung out in limbo without a game to play will be able to keep some of what they're looking for via g_realism 1 var once the screaming really starts.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:06 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Very interesting article Craterus.

But to make something as sophisticated in a game would be very hard and would probably require a separate, huge discussion. But putting away difficulties, the result itself would make a very original, realistic and (IMO) great experience. Also, this would greatly randomize the gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:38 am 
Master
Master

PL_Harpoon wrote:
But to make something as sophisticated in a game would be very hard and would probably require a separate, huge discussion. But putting away difficulties, the result itself would make a very original, realistic and (IMO) great experience. Also, this would greatly randomize the gameplay.

It doesn't take much sophistocation to offer a realistic damage model in games, just a set of assumptions that will be modled; and incorporating body armor offers one very easy means to simpilfy those assumptions and keep them reasonable.

As CQB is a game and not a simulator no one is going to want 'randomness' or any of the complex elements conferred by it on exit ballistics; hence, again, the desierability of body armor.

A very simple but highly realistic damage model will simply calculate that it will take "x" number of rounds at MOA "m" on target armor value (II, III, IIIa, IV) to 'drill through', rounds outside the MOA are essentially misses. Damage to conventional soft targets: face, neck and arm funnel shots, and PG shots can confer rather conventional damage.

This has already been done to some extent in a Canadian S4 mod used by the Canadian Police and JTF2 though they didn't have the level of code capability on an Unreal Engine game available on WET....

Δ

Last edited by hoak on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

Baal wrote:
Better support, like, setting up dedicated servers on Linux (next to nothing on these forums).

I think the question of support for servers is a great question to be addressed at this time. It seems that there are many things that users would like to see implemented in the game system, but it seems that the issue of customization of the servers is relegated to the sidelines.
I think that although the Coroner wants to keep house in order to ensure that maps and custom packages that could emerge around cannot endanger the fundamental concepts of the game, there are other ways of customizing and I think that could be implemented directly in the game, such as the native support to QMM and the GMSM (or another manager scripts) for both Windows and Linux - the installer could come with the libraries necessary for the functioning of both, leaving to the user only the work of production of the scripts on your server - and his creativity would be fundamental at this point.
The admins that are using windows servers know about the difficulties of putting both etadmin and GMSM to work in these servers, and I think today the servers have poor surviving without them. Do not know if there are legal implications regarding the native support for both platforms (windows and linux) of those applications, but I think it would be great progress, and even a differencial of this game for the admins (and users in consequence) comparing to other games, if this version already contained in its compilation the libraries of QMM and GMSM, both ready to configuration and use. Regards.

Denner

Last edited by DennerBR on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:01 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I agree no one will want the model of exit ballistics damage (including the developer), it just to complicated. But the randomness due to what exact part of the body (like the example where the assailant was shot 5 times and kept coming, then once more, which happened to penetrate the spin) might be confusing (not necessarily bad), and realistic. I don't really know what one would have to go through to model that type of damage, but I would think it'd have to be a lot more complex. And then there's ping/lag/latency issues that makes everything weird. Hoak's idea with the body armor sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:55 pm 
Master
Master

DennerBR wrote:
I think that although the Coroner wants to keep house in order to ensure that maps and custom packages that could emerge around cannot endanger the fundamental concepts of the game...

Yes! And It would benefit everyone if Coroner came up with some sort of scheme of standards and guidelines for content creation, and incorporated some kind of 'Official' vetting system.

People are are going to mod CQB and are doing it already -- it's an inevitability that can't be stopped, like cheats and exploits. But if Coroner were to put in place a set of guidelines and a straightforward vetting process for getting work approved as 'Official', and perhaps systematically rolled into an Official content distro it would help at every level in growing the mod.

There are all sorts of ways to do this efficiently that save the Boss from spending an inordinate amount of time putting other people's work under a microscope, like a public vote system for compliance to standards (and appeal), to a simple format testing...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:16 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

My personal wishlist
1) holding right mouse button to aim option
2) one button weapon switch (like in COD games) option
3) not crouching after sprinting from crouch option
4) Berreta and Desert eagle reskin
5) New "attachment bar" instead of f.x AK and AK ACOG (in WIP video coroner had AK with Eotech)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:43 pm 
Master
Master

Regarding the knifing, I don't see how it requires skill. It's not like there is a melee system built in the gameplay mechanics where you can dodge or block, just random slashes over enemy's armour.

Not to mention the issues with hitboxes and lag.

Well, at least it's not as bad as in CoD where you can run using random routes knifing and ending up at the top of the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
Regarding the knifing, I don't see how it requires skill. It's not like there is a melee system built in the gameplay mechanics where you can dodge or block, just random slashes over enemy's armour.

Not to mention the issues with hitboxes and lag.

Well, at least it's not as bad as in CoD where you can run using random routes knifing and ending up at the top of the list.

It's do certainly require "skill" or atleast timing and some sort of tactic. I do certainly remember that I had no chance at all in knifing against King Roald before and some other players as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:39 pm 
Master
Master

Only if being aware of certain glitches equals skill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:35 pm 
Master
Master

It were more about timing then glitching, but sure blame knifing skills on that :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:54 pm 
Master
Master

If you move backwards crouching you can't get knifed by an enemy approaching your front. Even though there is actual collision between the models, the hitboxes are elsewhere.

If the enemy isn't aware of this and proceeds towards you, he'll get knifed quite easily. If he is aware, you'll probably both end up waiting until one gets bored and looks for another victim.

This is the most common gameplay on knife maps. Sure, you can get frags on distracted players but in a clean 1v1 duel without hitboxes in mind, the outcome is just random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:10 am 
Expert
Expert

+1 Damien!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next