Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: TC:CQB custom content
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:43 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

I was picking up some discussion and views on whether TCE gains or looses due to the opportunity to have custom content (maps, etc ... ) on sv_official 0 servers.
I wanted to get some oppinions whether it could be an option for CQB to force sv_official 1 for dedicated Internet severs or to link it to sv_pure, which would basically prevent any modification of the game on public servers.
Cause I am not a friend of being so restrictive but (among other team members) also wanted to play the game in its official shape, we introduced sv_official back then, leaving the choice to server ops and gamers.
However, being able to use own content only in dev mode and to aim at an official inclusion (high quality contributions, particularly maps are always very wellcome) could also be an option.

What are the opinions? Please contribute.

Post subject: Re: TC:CQB custom content
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i think there should only be official files,
so we will have less chance of servers hosting 3rd party files, so we will have more official servers in the list that are hosting official files only,

official servers are way better than most of the third party servers.

Post subject: Re: TC:CQB custom content
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:37 pm 
Master
Master

I like the /sv_official command as it is.

Still, I'd like the client version to start with official packs only by default (untill you join a server which uses modified content) if possible so there's no need to remove the zzzz*.pk3 files because the default game menu got tweaked and unusable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

And I think people still want to use systems like ETadmin mod and GameMonkeyScriptmod, which also uses custom packs for vsays or other sounds.
However, I could imagine people using these script systems to 'unforce' the sv_official cvar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:47 pm 
Master
Master

ye i'd say leave /sv_official as it is. a nice option would be to disable custom files for the client. eg i have custom files in my tce folder but i dont wanna play with them all the time. having a load/unload option would be nice (and wouldnt have to remove/add the files in the tcetest folder every time^^

*Clan Movie #2*|xfire: snakes3k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

I agree with snake, but on 1 other option available to the public. Currently it is impossible from my understanding that bots_enable only works with sv_pure 0. If there is a way to incorporate the bot feature to public servers without contradicting the sv_pure setting then please do it. Having bots ( in the long run ) will contribute to full servers and practice for competitions more freely. Currently the only way to host a bot_enable "1", sv_pure "0" server is by hosting it on a client pc locally. I was unable to host any bots on a dedicated version due to lack of bot commands from the etconsole. I could maybe be getting something wrong or maybe it doesnt exist, but nonetheless the feature should be included in the latest version of CQB at the very least. If it is impossible to incorporate bots into this version then the final should include it. Ofcourse this is only my opionion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:12 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

having only the official files/server is more representative for new players, a new player should be impressed by the visuals to prevent them from leaving the game, new players shouldnt see the crappy third party contents imo.

so make the official servers only standard,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:18 pm 
Master
Master

its up to the serveradmins to choose whether they wanna use custom content or not. they are paying for the servers. and sooner or later custom content will be needed to keep more people playing the game as i cant imagine getting frequent official updates. it would be simply stupid to remove/forbid the custom files.
besides, players can tick the "only show official servers" box in the serverbrowser if they dont want any custom stuff (or disable downloads as we still have more official maps being played and tbh in BC the maps can be shitty and people wont really care anyway, tho most are ok)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:03 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

^^ maybe the default should be that auto download is OFF. I'm sure anyone who has helped any new player with TCE has been asked how to get rid of all the custom files that they've downloaded on the server.

IMO a perfect balance would be to allow custom content - but have restrictions so it doesn't turn into a massive amount of unwanted content (I'm not talking about maps - but some of those other files I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about) like what we have in TCE today... which is: a new player sits waiting to connect to a server because they have to download a bunch of files they don't even want. Yes, they could go to an official server, but that's not always the answer.

So again my opinion - allow custom content OFC but have some sort of structure/restriction to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 pm 
Master
Master

well its difficult to monitor all the custom stuff released and i dont think its really possible to forbid/remove certain modifications for the creators(theres often a way around). imo a clientside custom stuff on/off switch would be best (ofc for modifications like sounds weapons, models,.... maps excluded). eg not allowing the client to load any custom files except obj_... when its switched to off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Have it be official, turn off auto-download unless requested, but still allow a ton of customization.

Please and thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:34 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

what i really don't like is the menu costumization, there is no need of this things at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:27 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Quote:
"SERVER LIST & SPECTATORS"

now take a look at this picture:

the official button is the first standard when you open the server list, so new players can immediately start the official server, which is very representative, but they can also click the custom button but that is not the first,

now if this mod had that kind of server list, it would be extremely

user-friendly,
and it does ease things up,

now you dont have to filter things, you just choose the options,

theres a official and custom button,

if you choose official, you get all the official servers,
if you choose custom, you get all the custom servers,

but to do this, the custom server should only run 3rd party maps,
and the official server should only run the official servers,

because it would be senseless if you make 2 type of server list,
when both server list are the same,

so you really need to distinguish the servers,

----------------------------------------------------------

now you see those objective, bodycount, CTF, VIP button...
(there could be more game mode's but its just an example)

now if you click objective, you'll get all the objective servers,
if you click on bodycount, you'll get all the bodycount servers,
and so on...

------------------------------------------------------------------

you can save the servers, and evrytime you click on the [SAVED SERVER]
button, "on the left corner below the screen"

all the servers that you saved will appear in the list, and you should be able to delete

them again afcourse...

and "on the left corner below the screen" you also see [MAIN MENU],
now if you click that you go back to the main menu, duhhhhhhhh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

down under the screen you should be able to see all the players thats on the server you've

clickt on the server list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

and down on the right corner of the screen you should see a image of the map, purhaps a

loop video, that spectating the map, like rotating and stuff, well you know what i mean,

-------------------------------------------------------------------

any other suggestions or comments?

EDIT: EMPTY SERVERS SHOULDNT APPEAR IN THE LIST,
THEY SHOULD ONLY APPEAR WHEN THERE IS 1 PLAYER ACTIVE ON THAT SERVER,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: and theres is no need to make, BC, CTF, ect. ect. a minimod, it could be added in the

game, way more easier,

----------------------------

XenoKiller wrote:
i want panel that shows all the pk3s used by the server,

theres is not need to have a panel that shows all the pk.files,

like i said on the main forum, the problems are, that this mod supports 3rd party files, if

you dont want those annoying pk files that change your menu, you have to block the 3rd

party files,

or, the devs have to program a new system, that distinguish, map.files, menu.files,

interface.files, ect. ect.

the menu and interface files should be blockt, it cant be change,

this is the only method to block unwanted pk files.

XenoKiLLer wrote:
The easiest solution to this is the pure server filter,

problem with filter is, that its not user friendly for people that never have played this

game,

allot of people dont even know how to install this mod, they probably dont even know how to

filter the servers with the unwanted pk.files.

besides, filtering the server will kinda devide the community,

evryone should feel free to open a server, custom or official,

and evryone should be able to join any server, without having problems with the unwanted pk

files.

just distinguish the map.files, interface.files. menu.files ect. ect.
and lock the interface.files and the menu.files,

problem solved.

and when you join a server, you start with being a spectator right?

now the spectator interface should look something like this:

Post subject: I have good idea
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:13 pm 
Master
Master

Well in killing floor (co op survival horror) you have a lot 3rd party stuff so they made white list and this can be used here too so basic is:
There is group of people (long time true combat fans and developers) that do quality check example:
If someone makes new weapon and it will be noticed on homesite it will be checked that it will not unbalance game, style wont diference much from original (good examples in tce are uzi and galil) and it will not cause problem then it pases and will be putted to officaly supported files (these files can be example maps skins sounds and weapons or attachments)
So if basic newb/player wants to keep his/her game clean and good with better support for 3rd party developemt servers he/she downloads this file and checks home site about weekly

Files will be categorized as following:
Passed/officaly supported
Unpassed/too much changing gameplay (example map that cant be played good with any other weapon than snipper/impossible to succes on this map with other maps than snipers)
Most rated/highest rated (users can rate files with stars so if the quality of file is not good like mp5k on tce =bad skin, rough model, fastly made sound. Even then people may rate it and it will be very populated file so it will be downloaded/its recomended to download it

The file check wont take too much time but i think this is clearly very newb friendly and easy

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:52 pm 
Master
Master

From G's custom skin thread in 3rd party release subforum:
Dragonathan wrote:
Eqpe wrote:
Dragonathan wrote:
merlin1991 wrote:
this is one reason why cqb should allow custom content too :!:

are you kidding me?

We would loose these funny small things if we wouldn't allow custom content. So it's ofcourse a reason that makes sense

those funny small things you mean can lose new players because those funny small things you mean makes the game look ugly.
Only if you're assuming that the average FPS player is not only a casual gamer but also isn't very good when it comes to using a computer.

TC:E is a mod. Whoever knows how to install and use mods without 3rd party software (Steam for an example) knows how to untick "official servers" in the server menu and "disable server downloads" in the settings menu.

Besides, what you're suggesting in your serverlist mockup with official/custom buttons, is already done in the filter list. You just complicate it further by adding a separate server list.

Whoever is acquainted with multiplayer FPS games knows about clan servers with custom content, even that which is put there just for fun. If someone sees the characters dressed as soccer players and thinks that this is what the game actually looks like, he can't be helped and neither can those who find adjusting the most basic game settings tedious.