All times are UTC

Post subject: Battlefield Heroes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:32 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

TF2 made the phong shaded comepletely unrealistic visual style into rapid popularity.

EA responds by making Battlefield Heroes. A WWII online shooter similar to Battlefield 1942 and made by the same developers, DICE CE, BF Heroes is a stylized, cartoonish game in the BF franchise.

BFH will be released with EA's new "Play 4 Free" business model. This model will feature the popular ad ran and microtransaction features found in most MMORPGs and Korean games.

------------------------------

The verdict:
IMO

1. No amount of copying the fun cartoony style cant-ever-take-it-serious look of TF2 can make a game more fun than TF2.

2. Play 4 Free is simply just a new way for EA to get people's money - basically making the BF franchise pay to play - though it is optional as it is a microtransaction for ingame bonuses.

The plus side:

1. Free games from EA, thats a first for a complete new game.

2. Free Battlefield made by DICE themselves, no cheap BF clone like WarRock will match that.

Expected around summer08 - till then the final verdict on this game and EA's plans for total domination of the industry is still questionably. If only Activision-Blizzard would respond with releasing "CoD-Heroes*" with the same business model - or maybe a Diablo MMO with the same model.

*just my imagination

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:15 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well the forums seem dead again.

More info for BFH has been surfacing the past week:

1. DICE claims that they have had a cartoony game played since BF1942.
2. They will only be selling cosmetic and exp gain boosters in the item store and other misc items that will only make you look better not really give you an advantage over other players.
3. There will be three classes, soldier, commando (sniper), and gunner (heavy weaps)
4. Vehicles spawn instantly
5. No insta-kill
6. Spawning is fast and close to the action
7. Aims to simplify Battlefield game play

More info at Planet Battlefield. Dont expect a first person shooter like CS or BF, it is currently in thid person only and plays pretty much like an MMOShooter - like Tabula Rasa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 pm 
High Master
High Master

What do you mean by "dead"? The forums aren't dead....... they're ....... someone tell me something beyond dead.... *ponders a bit* ooooo, not only dead but forgotten!

Anyway.... it kind of reminds me of the Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. The game went from being dark and gloomy to a childs toy. And well I played it, played it through, enjoyed it, but once I was done, I wanted the darkness back.
So maybe it's just a small phase, and Battlefield will be back to it's unrealistic seriousness soon. Otherwise I think it could be a new twist on things :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

And that is what is called Battlefield 3 hopefully this time they get away from the arab and chinese communist enemies and find more suitable enemies of equal power. Preferably they should try modern shooter with fictional armies like Call of Duty 4. It would be much better that way because they can give the other sides better guns than the ever aging AK47 which by far is the most over used and steryotyped gun in the world of games and action movies. (Though movies are slowly moving towards G36s IMO, as I notice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:58 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well the BFH trailer is out. Drop by the Battlefield Heroes website to watch the trailer.

BHF should proove that PC gaming isnt meant to follow the console trend of constantly getting better graphics and yet absolutely no substance but to focus on quality content that can be constantly updated at one fixed price - either retail box or totally free (ad). Clearly PC games are not meant to follow colsoles as seen in the Crysis and UT3 sales flop, games with extremely advanced graphic rendering engines. These two games compared to other releases within the period faired very poorly. The competitions were Valve's Orange Box, who's stability I can say "sucks" but the performance and gmeplay quality is great as well as the value of 5 games for 1 box. The other competitor is Call of Duty 4, honestly to me this game is much better than either Crysis or UT3 in graphics because no matter how low you set the game you get a fixed framerate and excellent visuals.

Just like the direction TCE is heading, as well as many other indie developed games, this should be the right direction for PC games and gamers.

---------------------------------------
You classmates have played too much Redalert and World in Conflict as never have the Americans nor the Russians fought each other in armed conflict.