All times are UTC

Post subject: Borderlands: HALF A MILLION WEAPONS!?!?!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:44 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

I don't know much about this game, but I just read in GameInformer that it's going to have 500,000 unique weapons! :o I cannot even begin to imagine how awesome it would be to play an fps with basically an ENDLESS variety of weaponry. I'm just stunned... WOW, HALF A MILLION WEAPONS IN ONE GAME!?!?! Is this even possible!?!? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:21 pm 
High Master
High Master

If you think about it, it's most likely just going to be customizable guns with X amount of possibilities and X amount of base skins. Which they claim every combination a unique. It doesn't take that much to reach 500000 possibilities if you work it out. Assuming of course every ad-on for the guns are universal. Laser sight/scope/increased ammo/nade launcher/cup holder.

Work out every combination of those, then add a new one, and you'll see how little one has to do to reach 500000 million possibilities. Each add on allowed increases to number of possibilities exponentially.

However, that doesn't mean that it will not be awesome. Just they are setting themselves up for disappointing there fans buy saying the numbers. I'm sure there will be a lot of guns, but to call each and every one unique.... its setting peoples exactions high when a lot of them will be the same thing, cept a few minor details. Things like laser sigh or reflex sight. The difference between the two will me minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

[ignore]No Fry, they don't mean 500,000 possibilities (there's no weapon customization), they mean there are actually going to be 500,000 guns scattered around the game. I read up on it some more, the weapons were generated by a computer, all of them have unique names, specs, and capabilities, and even the creators don't know what to expect. They claim they aren't RANDOMLY generated and lame, but are expertly crafted inside and out by the system. They say there might be some insanely overpowered weapons hidden somewhere, but they will be really hard to find, and nobody knows what kind of powers they will have. I find this even more interesting, computer generated weapons with unknown amounts of power... it brings a whole new depth and mystery to the shooter genre. Imagine being the first person to discover a weapon... how exciting would that be!?! Would you keep it to yourself or go flaunt it on the forums?[/ignore]

I'm seriously excited about this title... it's coming out for PS3, 360, and PC, so everyone gets a taste. :D

[EdiT] Ok, I actually went and read the entire article. Your somewhat right Fry, the 500,000 weapons are a result of weapon customization.... BUT, this game is going to have weapon customization beyond compare. Aside from the standard sight, scope, and ammo type customization, you can also change the barrel, grip, stock, and basically build your own guns! I looked at some pics of 2 guns that were made from the same base, but they had vastly different stocks, barrel sizes/lengths, and they fired completely different types of ammo (one fires a standard pistol round, while the other fires homing missiles). I was right about the names, though. Every time you change your gun it is given a new name unique to that paricular setup (so that means there are at least 500,000 weapon names in the game, which is still fairly impressive).
The editor at GI said during the 20 minute demo, he never saw the same gun twice. So yeah, it's still going to be sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:04 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

What the hell is anyone going to do with 500k different weapons? Ill probably pick my M249 throw in a reddot sight and a suppressor if they have those and Ill be happy for the rest of the game. But good lord... Ill betcha in multiplayer you will end up seeing 99.9% redundant weapon sets. Imige an m4 with everything on it like TFW.

What they bring with them to the server defines the noobs from the men as the real men use less than what is given to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:23 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

If I get a game that has a proper C96 and supression systems, I will be happy. But half a million guns, even if just possiblities, would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:04 am 
High Master
High Master

I still think the game is going to be fun, however, I think the company is going set up its fans for disappointment by saying 500k guns. Because a lot of them will be a lot alike. Sure, there will be some of those guns that can't be duplicated, Artifacts, Easter Eggs and what not.

It sounds cool, but don't get yer panties in a bunch because there are 500k guns, because a lot of them will be the same thing with a minor detail changed. Ever Quest has millions of weapon combinations now, and its a out of date MMORPG. Remember hype of Fable? It sounds to me like this game is hyping the game a little too much, which will result in a lot of disappointment, even though Fable was still good, it didn't meet the hype that was around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:54 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Yeah, Fable had loads of hype (prolly more than Halo 2 even).

I was doing more reading on it, and almost all of the terrain, NPCs, and objects in the world will be randomly generated. Like say you go somewhere and there's a cave with a buncha cool crap in it... well, you come back to that spot later and it's gone... replaced with a completely new setup. This will sure keep the game fresh, but it would suck to finda a cool place, head back to base to prepare for it, then come back only to find it's not there anymore. I dunno, some aspects are cool, but some are potentially headed in the wrong direction... we'll just have to see how it turns out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:23 pm 
High Master
High Master

Its starting to sound like a FPS version of Diablo 2 now. Random weapons, maps, and what not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:33 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The FPS diablo you speak of is known as Hellgate London for all the wolrd knows is actually a spiritual decendant, along with Mythos, of Diablo as a series by teh same exBlizz employees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:57 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Helgate London for all the wolrd knows is actually a spiritual decendant, along with Mythos, of Diablo...

Hmmm, well then I must be living in a different world than you, cuz I didn't know that. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:51 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

lol how could you not know about the most anticipated RPGFPS hitting stores this October... xP check it out its not bad.,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:03 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Well, I just got finished with Bioshock (btw you MUST play Bioshock...it seriously rocks), so maybe I'll give it a spin when it hits the shelves.