All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tip of the Month, May. (Forum related, not game)
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:14 pm 
High Master
High Master

How to have a proper argument, one that will result in getting your view across.

First off, arguments usually do not change the mind or opinion of the person you are arguing with. The typical goal of an argument is to have the other person get your point of view. Lets say, for instance, your pro-life and I'm pro-choice. Now, because these are stance people take strongly, you know neither side will change their stance. So I know there is no changing the mind of someone who is pro-life; however, I can get them to see my view point of why I am pro-choice, at the same time, they will give me their view point.

Some important things about arguments is keeping your emotions out of your arguments, mainly anger. Also, you need to listen to the other persons view point, and be willing to accept that you can be mistaken. Furthermore, you need to understand that people can misunderstand you (This is important for those who have bad grammar, vocabulary, and spelling. Because a mis placed comma or the wrong to, too, and two can drastically change your statements true meaning). -Dragon, you may think that's targeted to only you, but it's not. Your not the only one with bad grammar.

However, the most important thing about arguments is to understand that your not the only person in the world, and that others WILL have a different view point. Even people who take the same side of an issue will have minor differences, so you have to be willing to compromise some to make the majority happy.

So, the argument would look something like this. It should be a persons right to stop a birth that may ruin their chances at perusing a career or to avoid being a single mother. This would be my point of view.

The pro-choice person may say that it is terminating the life of a living being or that you didn't give the unborn child a choice. - In their opinion it's murder.

If I wish to get my point across, and let them see my view, then I would make statements with weight behind them. For instance, I would point out the single mothers who cannot afford to take care of a child, and that if the child was born that it would starve. Also, I would point things out like women who are raped, and never wished to have a child. Things along those lines.

The pro-life person would do the same. Pro-life would say you have a responsibility to care for the life that you started, and if you don't want that responsibility, then you can always put the child up for adoption. Adoption is also an option for rape victims. Furthermore, the pro-life person would point out that people would rather abort than too give birth, and place into adoption.

Above is an example of an decent argument. You look like a fool when you argue with your emotions. For instance, if pro-life kept saying MURDER, then he or she will look like just another over zealous fanatic. Also, it is important not too get angry. Anger closes your mind, and makes you instantly shut out what the other person says, or bend words and take things out of context. (Dragon, I don't mean to flame, but you have a habit of doing this some times.)

I make this post because a lot of threads get locked because someone becomes closed minded, and refuses too accept someone else's opinion. Consequently, some one else makes a personal insult, which makes the thread go of topic, leading to locking!

P.S.- I'm pro-life, not choice. There is just more meat in the choice argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:37 pm 
High Master
High Master

Isn't it easier to just requote myself?

Or is it better to supply a link to a post I previously made where I expressed the same viewpoint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

kozak6 wrote:
Isn't it easier to just requote myself?

Or is it better to supply a link to a post I previously made where I expressed the same viewpoint?

nonono. you link AND quote.

but silliness aside, these are important things to remember. it would help just about everyone (I do my best to hide my anger, or at least not let it affect my posting)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:52 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Arguements are used to prove your point or opinion. They cannot change another persons mind. Instead use rhetoric to cleverly persuade someone to change their mind by thier own choice to believe. It is not possible to just force someone to change their mind without them willing having the change it. Blackmail and bribery - yes they still have to willing change their mind but in that case they got sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:48 am 
High Master
High Master

I think all you need to do, is avoid cussing, use huge words, and use actual facts, not something you happened to see somewhere or something you would like to be a fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:19 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

a more easier solution is just to ignore the one u cant get along with, that way u avoid unnecessary argues,

and dont come up with that "close minded" crap
its not about being close minded or lacking social skills,
its about doing whats right, would u bother hitting on a girl if she dont likes u?
if your smart, u wont, if your dumb, you'll do it, the smart one's will know u will only get troubles and u will end up looking like a loser or a stalker,

so if u find me annoying just ignore me, and i will ignore u, but dont keep replying if i ignored u, u will look like an idiot and a loser and a fool and a retard, just like "it" i ignored him but he keeps replying my post's and asking me retarded questions, sometimes i wonder if that kid has dignity and self respect, i would be seriously ashamed bothering/seeking attention to someone that is ignoring me damnn, cant imagine that,

anyways if u guys planning to ignore me due to this post i made, than go ahead, i can get my clan members to this forum to discuss with, we dont agree most of the times believe me, but we enjoy discussing with each other
and i find i pleasant to discuss things with them because no matter how awfully we disagree with each other, we always give each other respect, thats something most people on this forum are lacking, they disrespect me, and expect me to respect them?

**** O.FF!!

mod edit: WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:24 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Somebody just ban this 12 year old. Just get it over with once an for all.

TC:E name- 8_Bit_Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:31 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

8_Bit_Brad wrote:

^an example^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:26 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Well, Dragon. When you come in the forums and Disrespect people and tell them to "F off". You in return deserve no respect. None what so ever. This I'm sure is a bannable offense.

Please Dragon, pull my response apart... I insist. Quote something from it. Or you can just reqoute yourself. Make your self an example of this topic.

TC:E name- 8_Bit_Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:08 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

8_Bit_Brad wrote:
Well, Dragon. When you come in the forums and Disrespect people and tell them to "F off". You in return deserve no respect. None what so ever. .

the **** o.ff part was ment for people disrespecting me yes, and you obviously feel that your being addressed,

mod edit: LANGUAGE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:56 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

8_Bit_Brad wrote:

The mods have done all they can. I seriously don't know why he isn't banned, to be honest.

Only Dragon could take a thread about how to have a mature confrontation, and turn it into the exact opposite. This saddens me.

Also, I edited out your "censored" language. You've been warned before.

Another key point for having a mature discussion:

Watch your language, and keep your grammar/spelling proper.
If you want to convince someone to take your point of view seriously, check your post to see if it's readable. AOL-speak (u instead of you, y instead of why, overuse of acronyms, etc.) makes a lot of people shut off. It decreases readability in your posts, and often makes them harder to follow. Grammar does the same. Small grammatical/spelling errors, like forgetting to capitalize, small misspellings, etc. don't really matter. They make a post nicer to read, but they're not that important.

Some things may seem small, like missing a comma/putting it in the wrong place, your/you're, etc. may seem small, but they're very important in the end. The classic "eats shoots and leaves" situation applies. if you add a comma in the sentence (Eats, shoots and leaves) it goes from a statement about an animal, (it's diet consists of shoots and leaves) and turns it into an action (the animal eats something, shoots something, then leaves.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:41 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Gawd, how long have I been gone? :shock:
I guess time flies when your pushing papers (and getting hit on by a hot blonde), huh?

Now let's see if I can give my 2 1/2 cents worth here.

Dragon, seriously... you've pushed your boundaries beyond their limits. Like it said, I don't know why you haven't been banned yet, we have plenty of your stuff backlogged to use in our defense, and it just keeps piling up.

Diane? Where beez you? We need our Wonder Woman (or at lease the Canadian equivalent)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:53 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i came to the u.s. forum, i enjoyed it,
and than some hypocritical morons chased my ass and they also came to this forum,

first they were *****ing about how they hate me so much and that i should just leave, than i left the forum and when to the u.s. forum,
and all of a sudden they chased my ass and joined the u.s. forum too?
if they hate me so much and if they wanted me to leave the .com forum, and i did left the .com forum, but why the hell did they chased my ass, if they hated me so much?

****, what the ****?

MODE EDIT: LANGUAGE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:25 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

The reason you were banned form the tc.com forums ws because you broke the rules there, in fact, the same ones that have been broken here, including (but not limited to)

trolling
language
personal attacks
multiple accounts

Jesus, this thread is a train wreck. I'm locking it before it gets any further out of hand.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]