Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What under appreciated do you think changed games the most?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:24 am 
High Master
High Master

IMO, Die hard Trilogy is one of the most under appreciated games that had the most influence on modern games. It was a launch title for the PS1, and had features such as wall hugging, 3rd person shooting, sneaking, the senseless slaughtering of the masses, controllable car check point style objectives while retaining a shooting people to death, puzzles that required the living bodies of subdued enemies, and much more. However, it didn't get very much credit for anything because most things were clunky.

Anther game that went under the radar was Bushido Blade, though it wasn't to over looked, it still didn't get enough credit. Bushido blade was a fighting game, but had a very open end fighting area, along with a wide verity of weapons to choose from. I just think it's a shame that people look on todays fighting games like they were the first fighting games that moved out of the 2d playing field to the full 3d playing field where you can run any direction you please, when Bushido blade was doing this many years before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:49 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Well, Im not really a fan of games whos objectives are just senseless violence much like the fighting games in consoles or even games that let the players play as criminals and rewarding them for killing cops.

I would say what under appreciated thing changed games the most the storyline itself. I don't like HALO for one because of its rather ridiculous gameplay due to the overpowered weaponry - but I like the story alot. Most people, when they buy games they look at the graphics, who's playing it, and how much it costs - most of them, nearly all, dont give a s**t about the story itself.

To my point, the story, usualy is the detail that drives the singleplayer portion of a game. A story would usualy be a work of fiction and throoguh fiction allows developers to create a world where you can do different things. Like in HalfLife, the grav gun is part of the story, it was implemented into gameplay, and from that a new style of play came to be, with that new feature. It is actually the story of a game the allows developers create new gameplay styles and features, that are understandable and easy to grasp.

In multiplayer however, story may not seem to make sense but it is still part of the integrity of the multiplayer game - you are using characters and weapons from the story, and even gameplay features that are in part, developed from the story itself.

If there is anything that changes is games, its gameplay features and styles - IMO the story drives advances in these features not graphics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:17 pm 
High Master
High Master

The only reason I don't think story should be have to much credit to how a game revolutionized gaming is because a lot of the games that first had a decent story line were not looked over. I don't recall what FF it was that had the first good story in a FF, but I do know that it was either 2 or 4, wasn't over looked one bit. Zelda has been glorified more than Michaelangelo's painting on the roof of the Sistine chapel (Thats an overexertion, but you know what I mean.).

I agree that a story line is a the most important part of making a games single player good, fun, and captivating, but what gives a games replay value and how well its online play is based on its game play. TC:E doesn't have a story line, but its fun because of it's game play, and just its game play. RTCW was fun because it was like a team death match, but with an objective to fulfill when you felt like doing an obj, which is another thing I like about TC:E is that it has a good obj mode and a good team death match.

You do make a good point though, there is more to games than killing and the glorifying of crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:39 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

That is where all this will end up. If you look at WET, its one of the first multiplayer games that focuses on a story based objective rather than playing the usualy DM, TDM, CTF and all that. Multiplayer can also have a storyline, and WET is a living proof of that. QuakeWars will soon too. This is what makes the ET franchise stand apart from other generic FPS clones.

New innovation starts from it, such us the new Crossplayer games to be done with the Source engine, where you play in single player but can jump into multiplayer simultaneously while staying within the storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:08 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

the very first GTA,

most revolutionairy games are:

.pong
.space invaders
.pacman
.metal gear solid "revolutionary features" "game with the most best story line of all games"
.mario world 64
.first 3D Zelda on the 64

hmm funny they are all console/arcade games.

p.s. i forgot to mention wolfenstein 3D

Last edited by Dragonathan on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:34 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

lol, they aren't all for console. You could get an Emulator for most of those games now, ON THE COMPUTER.

But yeah, I still play some of those games on my N64. And I still play Metal Gear Solid on my computer... But it's so messed up because my Graphics Card keeps saying that the game's so old. XD

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:12 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Not all of those a revolutionary. There is nothing revolutionary about having wall hugging. What is revolutionary would be something that changes the way all future games are made. Benchmark more like it. Games like Doom and Quake which paved the way for the modern shooters both in PC and on console. Games like Warcraft and CnC which gave the basic idea of RTS. Of the games you listed, I would agree with mario being one of the most sucessful side scrollers and is still popular today.

As for GTA, even though i hate it alot, it is one of the most popular sandbox games around.

From all these, graphics is one of the things you cannot judge good games with, because a game can have great graphics and still suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:13 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

I think one of my faveorite underappreciated games would be "where in the world is carmen sandiego?" it's fun as hell, educational, and also has the "screw it, I hate this game" and come back in an hour ability. i was super-hard when I was 8, and it's still fairly tricky (video card bug though. it has trouble being run under XP.) but fun.

mario bros. was also really good. it hasn't really gotten all its due respect. it basically opened up the whole genre of platforming, and was awesome in 2-player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:38 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Silentcrisis wrote:
lol, they aren't all for console. You could get an Emulator for most of those games now, ON THE COMPUTER.

even though you can get a emulator, it is still ment to played on a console...

XenoKiller wrote:
Not all of those a revolutionary. There is nothing revolutionary about having wall hugging. What is revolutionary would be something that changes the way all future games are made. Benchmark more like it. Games like Doom and Quake which paved the way for the modern shooters both in PC and on console. Games like Warcraft and CnC which gave the basic idea of RTS. Of the games you listed, I would agree with mario being one of the most sucessful side scrollers and is still popular today.

whats revolutionary?
-things that havent been done in other games,

wall hugging is revolutionary, because allot of games nowadays use wallhugging.

an invention that is invented by some developers and used by other developers is revolutionary example: the ironsights feature is a revolutionary feature because now it is used in allot of FPS.

the games you mentioned: Doom Quake Warcraft, arent revolutionary,
infact warcraft is nothing compared to EverQuest, who ever made EverQuest, they are the pioneers of those type of games,

and Doom Quake is just an FPS game with a different theme, nothing revolutionary about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Dragonathan wrote:
the very first GTA,

most revolutionairy games are:

.pong
.space invaders
.pacman
.metal gear solid "revolutionary features" "game with the most best story line of all games"
.mario world 64
.first 3D Zelda on the 64

hmm funny they are all console/arcade games.

p.s. i forgot to mention wolfenstein 3D

gj not reading the thread title

i would say jet set radio future on xbox, i wouldnt say it had an influence on modern games (it IS a modern game) but it is seriously underappreciated and one of my favourite games on xbox.

oh and, Rez, anyone? :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]