All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: MD4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:38 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

like xeno suggested... devs should use MD4, better animations and you can change the model's weopon positions:
http://www.truecombat.us/forums/viewtop ... 59&start=0

Post subject: Re: MD4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:45 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Dragonathan wrote:
like xeno suggested... devs should use MD4, better animations and you can change the model's weopon positions:
http://www.truecombat.us/forums/viewtop ... 59&start=0

It would be nice if you gave us a direct quote instead of making us fish through all that mess (or at least have a quote alongside the link). I see plenty of stuff by you, but i can't find where Xeno said that.

Post subject: Re: MD4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:49 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

XenoKiLLer wrote:
Now, yes dragon, MD4 will make TCE more realistic by havng better animations and making it easier to add additional animations. The problem is, idSoftare scrapped the MD4 and it was only used in one game in its history. Q3E was stuck with only MD3. They only began using skeletal animations again when they made Doom3 using the MD5 technology.

Now, currently, there are outside groups that are trying to reintegrate MD4 into the GPLed version of the engine. If you have read id's notes for the GPLed engine, they mentioned that MD4 was removed from the engine code compeltely. So you can imagine how hard it will be to rewrite the code. Not that it is impossible, but if the devs could put their minds to it, and everyone inluding the devs is wiling to wait alot longer until the final version comes out jsut to integrate this, then this is the answer. He might need alot of convincing before even thinking about this. Currently, as seen in the rontpage, Coroner is imporving TCE's lighting with client HDRi effects giving TCE lighting similar to CounterStrike: Source. SO you can see that he is busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:58 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

They will be ebtter but if you didnt catch the first part of paragraph two which states that

"Now, currently, there are outside groups that are trying to reintegrate MD4 into the GPLed version of the engine"

Meaning, MD4 can only be put back in using the GPL engine code. TCE is built upon WET which uses a differnet license to the Quake3TA engine it uses. The GPL license which allows you to edit the engine (in this case reintegrate MD4) freely. The new license doesnt apply to the engines of games that are already compiled and released. So technically speaking, it is possible but illegal.

The only way to get it is... to port TCE to use the GPL Quake3TA engine which will make it stand alone but not something Cor wants to do at this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:58 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

HDR, picture tone setting... those features werent even part of the WET ENGINE, the devs have added that, because they've pushed the limits.

i think if they keep tweaking/cracking the hole wet engine and pushing the limits, they will find ways to improve the physics and animations even more.

yes allot of people complaining about the devs using an old engine,
but in my opinion it is good that the devs are using an old engine,

because evryone can do amazing things on a more modern game engine,
but not evryone can do amazing thigns on a 6 year old game engine,

so developing a game on a old engine will highlight the skills of the devs,
like the water in Northport... when i saw it for the first time... i thought to myself... the one's that made that water on an old engine must be damn skilled.

just look at it this way...

this is the WET ENGINE:

the devs wanna make it look like this:

i think the devs wanna keep tuning the WET ENGINE,
and dont forget that there are possibilities that the WET ENGINE might be a open source engine in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:31 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Let me say this again, for the 100th (exagerating) time. TT did NOT modify the engine in any, that would be against the EULA, meaning they did not add any rendering/lighting systems into the game. All they did was use textures that are already pre-HDR lit. meaning, instead of using normal textures, thier prerendered the light on the textures using other software to make it look like the game has HDR, then they used the game code to create what appears to be HDR effects such as bloom and dynamic eye, both of which are the same thing except that dynamic eye is affected by overall lighting and not just the sun object.

Also, they arent developing on the engine, they are modding the game that is already built on the Quake3 engine. Simply say that all those new effects were simply mapping and texturing eyecandy, that isnt true HDR (just a texture based simulation) because HDR-Rendering cannot be done using Quake3's current existing renderer - and the devs have not edited it in anyway because it is illegal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:04 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Maybe we should have Cope57 modify your posts so they are colorful, as seen in this thread.

It might help get the point accross better because it would grab his attention. :P :roll:

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:08 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Im not that colorful so I just send my point straight. The thing is, this game is just too old to expect new advancements such as those mentioned above. It may claim to have HDRR but that is all pseudo HDR, if it was really the chances of TCE working on 90% of the people playing it -- it wont work at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:19 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Quote:
I added a shot of village showing the new clientside sprites that autorotate in a HL2 fashion (much nicer than the odd Q3/ET way). Since TCE now loads the lightgrid (dude, had to code it all new since ET misses the trap_lightforpoint command) for the HDR dynamic eye effect, as a side effect, sprites can finally be lit by lightgrid information. This includes sprites for grass and also impact effects like smoke. Overall I am quite happy with the advances in the visual department, leaving a lot of Q3/ET limitations behind.
I also added a shot of a desert themed map I hand over to Bruce, just stumbled across it.

Cheers for today. Cor.

Coroner added things that wasnt even on the WET-ENGINE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Im not sure if you know exactly what you are talking about all he did was change the way things were done. He did not change anything in the engine, everything TCE is all game code and TCE specific not engine enhancements. First point here is that they cannot legally edit the engine. Second point here is engine overhauls like that cannot be done using Quake3 engines and QuakeC code - as stated by j. Carmack himself, they had to rewrite the entire engine for Doom3 because it was impossible to edit Quake3 to have new advancements without having to rewrite the whole thing anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]