Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: 4 Map Updates
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm 
Master
Master

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up as far as the updates on my maps. I'm excited to hear about whats ahead regarding the new development of True Combat. I'm also starting a new project with a F.E.A.R. theme. Below you will find the latest screen shots and download links. Hope you like.

Thank you,

Stealth

Alcatraz Beta 3
ImageImageImage

Download: Primary Size: 37.8 MB (39,647,120 bytes)

CargoShip Beta 4
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Download coming soon

Lumberyard Beta 1
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Download: Primary Size: 19.6 MB (20,568,452 bytes)

OldTowne Beta 1
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Download: Primary Size: 45.7 MB (48,015,811 bytes)

Last edited by Stealth on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:07 am 
Expert
Expert

Excellent! Thank You. I'll have a look at the available maps to download in just a few minutes. I'll let you know my thoughts, but your maps are always very well detailed and a sight to look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:10 am 
Expert
Expert

After some testing I found that their both beautiful maps as expected. Some minor impenetrable objects at certain areas. In obj_alcatraz_b3 in the tunnel hallways there is a wooden object to hide behind, but you cant shoot through it. Also on obj_lumberyard_b1 with the big barrels. Not a problem at all really but whiners are everywhere in this game. Alcatraz had that lonely secluded feeling to it and I really liked the FPS i got in the tunnel hallways near A.

http://imagebin.org/226404

Obj_lumberyard_b1 looks like it will be really fun to obj on and alcatraz to bc on. I find lumberyard to be more attractive of the two, but thats because I prefer obj over bc. I'm not sure if you intended the maps to be vise versa, but it seems to me they work in these gametypes best.

If lumberyard is going to be mainly objective, then I did run into an issue with the timing with specops vs terrors reaching bombsites at different times. In my mind there are 3 situations that can occur in objective.

1st: Specops get to bombsites faster than terrors and dig in to have coverage.
2nd: Specops and Terrors arrive at the destinations at the same time to force fighting and speed up the action.
3rd: Terrors arrive faster at the destination than Specops and Specops are forced to infiltrate and destroy the enemies first then defuse the bomb.

In lumberyard, the 3rd situation is present. According to my tests of setspawnpts/fastest routes/recon class w/ tech kit, my results are as follows:

Specops rush to A : 4:46 (can see bombsite)
Terror rush to A : 4:51 by 4:47 already planted

Specops rush to B : 4:46 enter building
Terror rush to B: 4:50 by 4:46 already planted

Now its good the terrors plant the bombs at roughly the same time, meaning they can choose both bombsites to plant.

Was the 3rd situation intentional?

Oh, and i found a texture issue at end of trains near A they didnt show up for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:12 am 
High Master
High Master

alcatraz looks SWEEEEET

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:49 pm 
Master
Master

Lumberyard
My original design was to have specop start in the woods through some terrain. They would eventually make it to the lumberyard and neutralize the terrorist. This means the lumberyard would have to be fairly small and the forest would be the focal point of the map. But I fear the tree models would result in disastrous FPS.

The timings were to have the terrorist plant first then the specops would counter of course. I may have overlooked that. I will check it out again.

There doesn't seem to be any missing textures for me, but I will double check.

Alcatraz
I've gotten feedback that the action is too fast in Alcatraz and spawn camping is prevalent. I plan on slightly extending the map with a surprise on both sides.

I will also fix the impenetrable objects on the next beta. I'm glad you liked the maps. I was wondering if you liked the electric sparks as you enter the specop side of the tunnel?

Thank you very much for your time Ross, I will look into all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

OH yea! I completely forgot to write about the electricity :D. It was really nice and very nice sound effects too. I was a bit disappointed that it didnt electrocute me when I got near it though =(. Hmmm, the texture issue might have been my game itself, since I was running in devmap mode. I also had strange guns as well, so if you dont see it with stock tce installed, then im sure its fine.

If I may make a request of you: Lumberyard, could you make it in different modes: snow, and day versions. I think the map is very versatile and could work in both those versions very well. + we dont have too many nice snow maps around. Possibly add a blizzard to partially blind the screens of players. (not sure how much of an affect it would have on fps) Windy noises and fairly quiet inside buildings would make the players on the map tread cautiously since they wouldnt be able to see 100% and would force them to listen. (thinking objective :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

I would love to see a snow version or autumn version of Lumberyard in COD4:TC, I think it has great potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

gonzo|Uncle Bionic wrote:
alcatraz looks SWEEEEET

I personally loved the Alcatraz, it's a map very well done and allows a great gameplay. You intend to make a smaller version of this map? Congratulations, the maps are very good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 pm 
Master
Master

Top-notch work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm 
Master
Master

Thank you everyone for giving feedback and kind words. Please understand a lot of people were involved and helped me quite a bit.

Damien (Vis Optimization, Shader & Texture Manipulation, & Models)
Merlin1991 (Vis Optimization)
HipShot (Sky Alpha Brush Tutorial)
$omator (Design ideas)
PirateBay Community (Design Ideas)

Well it's settled then, I will be making a new snow version of Lumberyard.

@DennerBR
I have decreased Alcatraz in size quite a bit to where now there is some complaints of spawn camping. So I will extend it just a little bit.

@ Coroner & Ross
I'm on it.

@ Damien & Uncle Bionic
Thanks buddy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:06 pm 
Master
Master

I love the lightning in Alcatraz, looks pretty cool. I like the lumberyard too, I can't tell if it is the same version I have played on, but it looks cool. Regarding that OldTown map... It VERY reminds of one of those Urban Terror maps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:50 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Add them to the map depot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm 
Master
Master

Diane wrote:
Add them to the map depot!

I was just wondering why none of them are on there. Nice work Stealth :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:15 pm 
Master
Master

I have sad news today. The Pirate Bay Server Admin Brucho, has created a map using my Ship map as a base or prefab. They did not get permission from me to do so. So as of this moment I have ceased to make anymore maps or updates for True Combat: Elite.

I've asked the admin, Shark to take the suspect map off the server. The map is called Warehouse 2. Until he does, all progress of my maps are at a stand still.

This is truly sad that something like this would happen. It only hurts the the progression of development and the community.

A mapper spends a lot of time making details, making objects, and textures in a map. And for anyone to use it as a base or disrespect the authors originality by simply copying and pasting it into another map, (especially without asking permission) is a big slap in the face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:28 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Using someones property without permission is wrong. However, I don't believe you should take the dramatic approach of ceasing all map making until the wrong has been righted and so on. It's counterproductive. Just continue asking the admin to remove it and hopefully he will respect that.

If I ceased hosting this website every time I saw someone use one of the graphics I made on their site without linking to this site - or if other mappers stopped mapping because someone used their textures - we'd have no community support or content. Be the bigger guy :P