Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: Official Weapons Depot needed !
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hello,

Since I started to work on customs weapons some weeks ago, I noticed there is no real organisation of customs weapons.
I tried to use another paks. In some case, theses paks contains many weapons, in others case just one, and in anothers case, the pack contains many many weapons (like Ak47, Force, Pb packs).

So I've made a database list of weapons (where to find a unique weapon without redondancy, in the original pak). It's near impossible.

After that, I started making unique weapon packs, and it seem to be the best organisation of customs weapons.

I propose the following :
- Make an official Custom Weapons Depot at this official website.
- weapons pak contains one and only one weapon.
- in the pak there is all that is needed for weapon to work, except maps folder and .gear, because the weapon is supposed to be part of the selection of the server administrator.
- I insist, but the unique weapon pak don't need another pak for working EXCEPT the officials tce pak (pk0, pk1, pk2, pk3, pk4) or enemy territory packs.
- Make a rule of the syntax and structure of the pak. All packs must respect the rule (like 0.49 maps have rule "begin by obj_", and should have rules "name of pk3 is same name than .bsp", what a pity it's not always true)

You can obtains examples of this organisation if you go to NyX bodycount.
You will download some weapons pak like this :
zwu_weaponname.pk3

zuw mains "Z Unique Weapon". it can be another syntax, but officials customs weapon need to be easely identifiable at first look.
So, all officials customs weapon must have this prefix (or the prefix the offical website will choose if not this one).

In these zwu, I've writed this zuw_readme :

Code:
ZUW for Z Unique Weapon :

Reorganization of weapons by =]NyX[= Karnaj

Each zuw_anyweapon.pk3 contain configuration of one and only one unique weapon.

It's an attempt to make customs weapons more clear and modular.

So, server administrators don't need to make their own .pk3, they may just re-use these zuw, and their own .gear.

Great thanks to the originals creators of these weapons.

Structure of any zuw_anyweapon.pk3 :

/custom/default/weapons/anyweapon.specs
/custom/default/weapons/anyweapon.weap
/models/weapons2/anyweapon/
/scripts/anyweapon.shader
/sound/weapons/anyweapon/
/readme.txt
/zuw_readme.txt

Sometimes, the zuw pak I've made don't respect exactly this structure because the .weap file is configurated with another /models/weapons2/anyweapon/ directory. So I left the original directory because I didnt had time to edit each .weap and replace values.

I've just made few weapons in zuw format, because it take time.

Like writed in the readme, The goal of making zuw paks is that players don't need to download big paks with redondants weapons inside.
And server administrators just need to reference existing weapons in .gear.
So the custom pak is very light. (it just contains the configuration .gear).

I hope you understanded that all, because I'have a bad english, sorry for that.
ThankS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:21 am 
Rock Me, Amadeus!
Rock Me, Amadeus!

Even though I can't say anything about an official weapons depot, I do like the idea of having a general layout for weapon pk3s, especially the one proposed.

Having self containing weapon packs will help to reduce redundancy of weapon pk3 files on the servers, since the weapon packs will be same / similar everywhere while the single servers just have to ship a small pk3 with .gear files.

For the pk3 name I would suggest something more like weap_weaponname.pk3 since zuw isn't that clear on first sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:21 pm 
Master
Master

I'd like to see a tutorial depot. Most of the Q3/ET tutorial sites died and some examples are hard to find so it would be nice to have a database right here on the site. Not stolen from others but remade by the TC:E community ofcourse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:31 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Make the tutorial and I'll add it! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:13 am 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
I'd like to see a tutorial depot. Most of the Q3/ET tutorial sites died and some examples are hard to find so it would be nice to have a database right here on the site. Not stolen from others but remade by the TC:E community ofcourse.

lol i though where all tutorials have gone :? . its basicly at the time a secret skill of the modders. and i want to learn it :D

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 am 
Master
Master

DEAR KARNAJ: i made a submit on moddb named Truecombat:Elite modifications. so im going to incluede my new sound modification there and if you want you can also upload weapons there :D though just you when i made the profile for mod (when i remembered this thread).

its messy not much stuff and still have to pass the checkup to it be fully funtional :wink: wait couple of days and in the mean time im organizing it.

so if someone didint understand. i chosed following things:

allow community to: post new artiles, media and news :wink:

EDIT:oh yeah forgot the link :lol:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/truecombatelite-modifications

it seems i have to add pictures or videos :? well i have to get some ingame video sample videos then or few weapons.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

Damien wrote:

Well it just-so-happens that I am currently trying to finish up Part1 of a multi-part (not sure how many yet) series on making new weapons for TC:E.