All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

Uh yes, it looks like I forgot to mention that I'm building the map from scratch in 3ds max. A few years back I've been harassed by various digital artists how it is easier and better to model a game level in modelling app. than in various types of radiant-like apps. That's why I've decided to give this technique a try. It is definitely superior when it comes to modelling complex shapes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:14 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

That's because on engines these days maps are highly mesh-based, unlike the older gen where it was heavily brush-based. The CoD4 engine is still extremely similar to id Tech 3 and is it still a brush-based engine, and thus it is not designed to handle base map geometry being made out of models, so it is extremely silly trying to make a map out of models as it would be terribly unoptimized. You still have to be highly brush based like you would for ET, now you just have better support for all the DETAILING props for the map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 pm 
Master
Master

I've found that brush based editing is always better for creation of urban maps. It seems to give the mapper far more control than constantly reusing the same models over and over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:54 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Just FYI - if you were a mapper and had access to the internal forums before but don't anymore, you were removed due to a few months inactivity and also because you either told me - or posted on this forum - that you don't have time to contribute to this mod anymore/at the moment.

If you have more free time and have decided to continue mapping - or you are seriously committed to pumping out a map to add early to this alpha, please contact coroner or myself so we can add you to the group to have support/access.

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:15 am 
Expert
Expert

I'm aware of your concerns. :) What makes me worry is the fact that I can't find which static model formats cod4 supports. I've only found some maya export plugins. I also haven't found any info regarding compiling static models into the BSP map model.

Diane: Please :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 pm 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
You'll need the following:

CoD4 Mod Tools (604MB)

There is some maya bits and pieces with this sxy. It may help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm 
Master
Master

http://goo.gl/TSR4Q

Maybe helpful sxy?

----
Anyone else missing the 'edit' button on their posts? :poo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks dimstar :) I've already seen this. I've also installed the cod4radiant and found that it will not load ase files. So it looks like I'll have to find someone with maya that will convert the models for me (or do it myself).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:20 pm 
Master
Master

Very important for mappers, you also need 1.1 patch for the CoD tools, this fixes a big issue!

http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare_Mod_Tools;86101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Okay.. I've played with the cod4radiant a bit (been building the structural brushwork) and I have to say it is terribly mediocre :) So I have decided a few things. First - I'll just convert the TCE version of skirmish into the cod4tce one. This is the only way I can produce something playable in shortest amount of time. And second - after this first version I'll remake the map from scratch using combination of structural brushes and static models (models will be made using modelling app). Now just hope I can still find obj_skirmish.map :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:42 pm 
Master
Master

If you're planning on using static models for map geometry rather than detailing, there is no need for that. One thing which makes CoD's radiant infinitely better than all the rest is how prefabs are used.

The basic approach is creating mw_tc_yourmap folder in the prefabs folder and saving your map prefabs in there. However, there is a huge difference in how these prefabs are dealt with later on.

When you place it in the map (right click in 2D window > misc > prefab) it behaves like a single entity. To edit it, right click in the 2d window again and select "enter prefab". Then it opens up "standalone" and you can edit just that portion without minding the rest of the map. This simplifies things greatly.

If you have multiple instances of the same prefab (like a detailed lamp post or something), editing one of them affects every other one. Managing the map this way is as simple as can be.

But it gets better. These prefabs act like static models. Meaning, you can rotate and move them around with no hassle but they still behave like they normally would (structural brushes stay structural, details remain details, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

As far as I know static map models cannot be lightmapped in Cod4. This pretty much limits their use to small assets that get away with point lighting. Usually there is trouble when the origin determining the lighting is blocked. Additionally, they don't cast shadows in the radiosity pass. They do recieve and cast shadow maps from direct sunlight but you can tell at a certain distance when the direct light pass fades that the model is a static.

With these limitations, static models should be used just for what they are meant in Cod4, props and details. Either do it that way or figure out a way how they can be lightmapped and cast radiosity shadows ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

However, MWTC could use any helping hand to convert TCE map models or to create new MWTC specific model assets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 am 
Expert
Expert

Big thanks for this info. (I didn't quite like what I've read, but it has saved me lots of troubles trying to break the wall with my head hehe)
So this (unfortunately) limits my choice of map building to converting the TCE version of skirmish to MWTC.
At least I can use my new 3d modelling skills to create new model assets. I've already made a few decent window frame models. Now I only have to find someone with maya that will convert them to xmodel for me (or do it myself). I'm open to any requests for map models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Sorry for the bad news regarding the static models and mapping.

I use a tool (I will look up the name) that converts obj to xmodel_export (thats what the maja plugin does). Cod4 asset manager is used to compile xmodel_export to xmodel as used in game. One limitation with the tool is that it only handles one texture per model and only one mesh.
It was pain in the ass to get different meshes into one xmodel because I had to parse and combine the xmodel_export test files ...
However for getting static props from .obj to xmodel it is a solid pipeline.

I guess you can google for xmodel converter. I just googled it, thats the tool, there might be newer version somewhere:

http://www.moddb.com/games/call-of-duty ... er-151beta