All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:02 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Haraldzz wrote:
CQB was a flop on such a regard, there were enough people that disliked CQB

I disagree with that comment. From my observations from people who actually played it... they liked CQB - or rather the direction it was going in. The only reason it was a "flop" was because there was only 1 small map and not enough updates (mainly maps) to keep active interest.

That's the formula for any "flop" regardless the gameplay and audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:26 am 
Master
Master

I've talked with some people on HeroS who seemed to be playing there since forever and they really seemed to be not very happy when it took more of a turn into... GODDAMNIT I'M REPEATING MYSELF! THAT THING, you see, it's all about that thing! I've heard people were upset about the regenerating health, the movement system, hell, some guy (some guy indeed, because I have to disagree on his opinion) said that he disliked all the possibilities of your character you can make... That part was cool, just the sniper was heavily overpowered (Seriously? 1 shot even with heavy armor? You didn't even need high quality bullets, just take the back up ironsights and you had a silenced semi-automatic railgun!). :P

Aaaaanyway, this is getting a bit de-railed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:42 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

Hehe. Those people on Heros are people who have been playing forever - and have their gameplay down pat so would complain about ANY change that would make them relearn how to play a game :P

But yes, it is getting derailed. I just wanted to clarify the general opinion towards CQB and not just the opinion from some of the "veteran complainers" :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:25 am 
Expert
Expert

Veteran Complainer Here: :D

CQB was great. - (minus) the tce bugs carried over. It was slown down, harder to control weapons, great death animation, nice sounds, weapons, skins. CQB was TCE taken to a tactical type of warfare. It didnt work simply because of what Diane already stated.

- Inability of community to adapt
- Lack of maps
- Bodycount only gametype.

CQB could still be a 1 year refreshment if its released with objective unlocked, and maps available. Definitely playable the way it is right now. Maybe less restriction on jumping and rotating. Running over a bump made you essentially slide and not be able to move your direction.

Nevertheless: On to Cod4 topic

@ Coroner, is there any more information you could possibly release without spoiling too much about your mod. Changes to movement? ( Since I know you dont like the arcadish feeling to any game ) Bullet damage information? ( Normal mode vs H-Core mode vs ProMod ) Freeaim?

Why do I ask? Many people, artists, developers, coders, etc have become very interested in this topic and have already installed Cod4 mod tools for their own purposes. ( personally still pondering myself if I should do it ) I think the more information we get on cod 4 mod subject ( without you spoiling too much ) the more we will be pumped to get to work.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:30 am 
Master
Master

Diane wrote:
Haraldzz wrote:
CQB was a flop on such a regard, there were enough people that disliked CQB

I disagree with that comment. From my observations from people who actually played it... they liked CQB - or rather the direction it was going in. The only reason it was a "flop" was because there was only 1 small map and not enough updates (mainly maps) to keep active interest.

That's the formula for any "flop" regardless the gameplay and audience.

Well said and I agree with Diane completely! In fact I wouldn't be in the least disappointed in TC:COD4 was a direct port of CQB. There were a goodly number of AGR-S fellers (and one gal) that were waiting to see some sort of objective mode realism game from CQB, and a few were even toying with Radient in anticipation of what might come...

As well |2oss® comments are on the money, and I feel CQB was cut way short of its enormous potential by only having one map and a Death Match only game mode that is an absolute turn-off to many Tactical Realism Fans...

I do understand however that a Developer's motivations, and end game are not going to be the same as a Gamer's -- or even a focused community of Gamers; it is none the less sad when these go in such different directions or one is regarded as a limiting factor by the other...

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Back to COD4:TC

Regarding the features like movement and weapon spread/sway etc I have nothing great to disguise at the moment, simply because there are little changes yet and I would leave the tweaking to the alpha. I made it a bit slower than stock cod4. There are even glitches in the weapon balancing for sure. But this has to be sorted in public alpha ...

I rather see this as a bilateral venture, only if new original maps and assets will come up (and I regard this as a very important part of 'the things' about the mod) the mod will get momentum and which will also drive my motivations for further dev. I am happy to see ppl interested in mapping, textures and models and that's desperatly needed. So, it all depends on you guys as much as on me.

Regarding the map style and details the mod should aim at CQB sample as reference. Otherwise I am not aiming at porting CQB 1:1 to Cod4, because of the limited modding capabilities of Cod4 scripting.

I strongly encourage you to jump on the train, because I won't be able to do this on my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:35 am 
Master
Master

I can just test mod/maps for bugs and suggest what to improve if that help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 am 
Master
Master

Hmmm... Modelling you say... Well, I have created some models, I know how the thing rolls. Is there anything specific you need? Map objects, weapons? Also, any polycount restrictions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:51 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

1MAN is watching and waiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:49 am 
Master
Master

Well I'm glad this finally happened! It's very cool to see a new chapter of the game that brought forward so many 'firsts' and 'best of' features and ideas to FPS realism -- though there is strange irony in that it's now as a mod of the most derivative, unoriginal, uninspired and lucrative FPS game ever made.... Downloading and installing COD 4 now (just to play MWTC), and looking forward to it!

I still hold hope that one day TC will run free (or retail) as a stand alone game, perhaps under some limited open license and design framework on a GNU, BSD or FOSS OS -- as both an open platform OS and thoughtfully and rigorously developed game like TC could benefit each other enormously.

As always, thank you Coroner!

:)