All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: On the road to a successful TrueCombat update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:34 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Caesar77, I get you you upset with my thoughts. I'm sorry.

But I didn't mean to be arrogant and I truly believe that at least the players who have kept playing tce since it was last updated, and even the great ones who stopped because the game started to gradually die, would agree with my statement about tce's PPMS.

I didn't express my thoughts based only on my own interests, but on observation and listening. Truly 100% of people i've talked to regarding this subject have agreed with me on it.

Of course many people may disagree with it. I would like them to say if they agree or if they don't.

I believe tce's PPMS is what has put it in front of any other FPS for so long and still makes it better than them. What do you think would be the reason for it, or do you even think that?

Would it be the community and the feeling of playing with your friends? I don't think so. Would it be the maps? Hmm, there are some great maps, but I don't think that's good enough to maintain people involved. Would it be because it is a free game? Nah. I have bought some games but still feel tce is the best. Would it be the game types? Well, you find them in every fps game - bc, obj and sometimes ctf. Would it be the movement system? Hmmm...

Think about it. Every game has everything tce has, but its own well designed PPMS. Anyone to agree or disagree? Please, manifest yourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Maybe the best solution, in this case, would be a slightly redone, the body perk system.
4ex:
Light body - totally no movement limitation [49b ppms], but also no heavy weapons, 1 nade, no "get more clips", easy-to-carry sidearm [ no akimbo, no shotgun as secondary weapon, less chance to survive under heavy fire.
On and on and on.... i hope its easy to understand what i mean.

Sambba :twisted:
I know your monkey - style gameplay and i have to admit, we all like in 49 "ledge-jumping" "box to box bouncing" BUT there is a dark side of the moon. New players might be disappointed. This is a realistic game in the title and i can do a 360 spin-3frags-nadeplant-combo? No thanks i have quake3 on hdd.

Another one bites the dust: Damn, games not suppose to be so ultra realistic. Join army then, or go to the shooting range and u there u can get your **** realism.

That's where the shoe pinches.
I totally understand your pov and this is the reason why You [ ME AS WELL :!: ]glorify tce - balanced features.
However, i am the biggest fan of cqb features including 360 jumps limitation, bullet drop, truevision <3, maybe the first attemps of cqb PPMS might be really annoying for typical monkey-gamers like You [ :D ] but you can get to used to this feature after 1 hour, at least in my case.

Sooooo... im waiting for new release, then we will see where we going, as Coroner said.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm 
Master
Master

Another 'veteran' here.. since 0.46.

To me, it seems that the main quality of the game is coroner's vision. We can all post suggestions but it takes a project leader to decide what is right and what is not for the game and he did not disappoint.

Bullet drop, HDR, aiming system, portal scopes, free look, free-climb, body awareness, ... these are all awesome features.

I like .49's movement but it does feel hacky at times, mostly due to remaining ET content and clumsily built maps.
When talking about CQB, it doesn't feel like slowed down TC:E in the least, more like TC:E with added elements.

And I'd say the community is a significant part of TC:E's success and the reason I kept coming back. I've played with a bunch of friendly people and the same goes for the people from both old and new forums.
Not to mention the 3rd party weapons and maps which gave new life to servers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Yourself, I like TC:E's PPMS because it allows different styles of gameplay - slow and fast. If you tend to be a strategic player, you can play it your way, and if you tend to be more of a tactical/active player, you can also choose to play it your way with no obstacles around - it is free for you to choose. I know PRO players who are strategic players and I know players the other way around, too.

SpikeSpiegel, Wo0, Snak3sex - Strategic players (I know I've typed the names incorrectly)
Spcl, myself ($4mbBa), quake - Tactical players

See, tce's ppms is so good that allows players to be really good in both styles. It mustn't be changed.

Yeah, I'm a monkey-style player and I've abused the bugs the game has (boucing on boxes and all the crap), but if it is to remove all the bugs, I'll be fine with it too, because that's the way it has to be.

It is also alright to remove the funny leaning while sprinting, and leave a reduced leaning while walking. It would be more logical.

And yeah, players like me can adapt into this new PPMS, but the game gets a lot slower and in a while it gets boring because of the "Insurgency-like" limited movement system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:37 am 
Expert
Expert

Samba, not upset or anything, else I wouldnt be getting a monkey to spank ya ;-p
Not personal, It's just that everyone has an equal voice / is equal.

Opinion on anim system : I agree, altho making only light changes to TCs anim would be
best but that's just my personal opinion. I like the monkey jumping thing, tbh. Sprint-jump-
crouch, not the 360 turns, that's a bit too much indeed but doesnt really bother while
playing.

What attracts people to a game is very different, can be all sorts of factors.
I mean, there are people who put thousands of dollars in one round of Travian
and that thing doesn't even have one single animated battle.

In terms of graphical suggestions, TC roadmap and GTK :
Already prepping the Crossbow editor to read and edit .map formats,
later we're trying to use it with ET:L (can do vanilla, too) to replace it's renderer with ours.
IF updates to TC would ever need an update to GTKradiant it would
be a lot simpler to do this through Crossbow anyway.

Quote:
Join army then
I did and all I got was a keyboard, damned !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:13 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

$4mbBa you say there are a lot of tactical realistic FPSes out there but I think It's the other way around. There are a ton of games like the one you're describing "run-and-gun" I'm guessing. That's why the movement in CQB is better in my opinion. Besides, this is a war game. you don't need to be parkouring all over the place?

When I first discovered TCE I liked it because coroner made my dream come true and It's that you don't need a high-end game engine to develope an amazing game. That was one of the things that encouraged me to download TCE in the first place then I loved the gameplay and aiming system and all but I felt It wasn't enough for my liking, that's when I saw they had an "updated" version (that was my thought back then) and when I downloaded CQB I fell in love immidiately with its gameplay, It had better weapon models, better graphics. It felt more realistic in few words and to me the switch from TCE to CQB didn't felt so bad, the first thing I noted was that the player movement was affected by your loadout so I fell in love even more with it.

What I'm trying to say with this is that CQB never had the chance to shine and rise with all its glory. That's why It never came to the same level of TCE. It had just one single map or anyother mode than bodycount. So comparing both games is kind of unfair.
That's why we're encoraging coroner to update CQB, because It has an enormous potential to become the next flagship of the True Combat franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ok guyz, we have to admit....

THIS UPDATE TOPIC WAS A JOKE
YES!
Sorry, that situation here, was just arranged by ,Diane,Illwieckz,Rbox6 Damien and me...
There will be no updates becase tbh, Diane just hacked Coroner's password... and you know the rest of this story :)
Do not be mad :] just no more updates...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:01 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:ban: :twisted:
=D =D =D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:54 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

As a real dutchy would say: 1 April frog in your butt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

90% :pistols:
http://dev.etlegacy.com/issues/834

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:42 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Good that they address the weird sound issues.

First "stand-alone" version finished. Install ET:L, unpack CQB 0.224, start it, done.
There is still a huge amount of console spam from missing shaders and stuff. Have to cleanup the code and remove old references to ET assets that are not needed anyhow. Otherwise looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:54 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

yks wrote:

I believe the issue is actually 100% fixed. It's only set to 90% because I'm looking for possible regression due to the change. I however haven't noticed any side effect till now 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:08 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Cool. Do they have nightly builds?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:18 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

No, but compiling ET:L is a straightforward process, especially under win platform (see our README in the etlegacy git repo).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
1 April frog in your butt.

Thanks a lot! I really need it.
Spyhawk wrote:
yks wrote:

I believe the issue is actually 100% fixed. It's only set to 90% because I'm looking for possible regression due to the change. I however haven't noticed any side effect till now 8)

Great news Spyhawk. Is there known date, when 2.73 will be ready to download?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next