All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: On the road to a successful TrueCombat update
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

coroner wrote:
ii) The issue of health regeneration, I don't mind, although I understand the criticism. However even Insurgency has health regeneration. I don't like health pack spawning. Something like 'confirming kills' which add to health?

Insurgency doesn't have health regeneration (unless there was some change recently?), the damage visual effects just wear off after a while after you've taken the damage, but your health still remains at the damaged amount.

The primary issue with the health was that any kind of regeneration was very out of place for single-life gamemodes (OBJ), whilst some way of regaining health was definitely considered preferable in a DM-style respawn gamemode (BC). Having health renegeration mechanics differ from gamemode to gamemode was definitely not recommended as core player game mechanics, such as health, should be consistent across modes - especially in a realism game.

There was a bit of discussion about the health regeneration back when the alphas came out and we landed on partial health regeneration, which was implemented already iirc. Though honestly, partial health regen might not even have much merit given the high damage value of weapons; the amount you'd be able to regen could be negligible considering the amount of damage a typical bullet does (I don't have actual stats on me though), making the system nearly pointless.

So personally, I'd lean more towards global no health regeneration, and then some additional mechanic added specifically for respawn gamemodes. This was the way it was in TC:E with health packs dropped on death. Though dropped health packs is probably not the best way to do it, what with anyone being able to pick them up and likely not being the killer given many situations. Maybe some ideas could be taken from some newer games to improve this system? Like that confirming kills stuff or something... will need a little help here, I usually stay away from most of the modern FPSes :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:30 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

$4mbBa here.

In my honest opinion, no game nor mod will be good enough to replace tce 049b because, and only because, of the movimentation tce 049b has. That means: If you change tce's movimentation, the game turns itself into a boring game.

I would sugest you not to change tce's actual movements, but only remove the bugs and upgrade some weapons and maps. There's a simple reason for that which many people don't understand: tce is so good and addicting because of its movimentation. That is why tce excells over any other fps game. The combination of movements, angles and velocity is the key to tce being so good.

Is there any veteran in tce that agrees with this statement? I've played this game for over 7 years and have over 15.000 hours of TC:E, I've made websites, tutorials, videos and maps for tc:e, in order to help spread the game out, and am not just a random player giving a random opinion, but an opinion of someone who has interacted fully with this game and is willing to coming back to it.

As I said, you should only remove the bugs, upgrade weapons, maps and whatever you want, but do not change tce's movimentation (zoom, lean, velocity, jump, walk, climbing) it is the key for it being so good! Do not think the game is too "arcade" because of its actual movimentation. It's the way it's supposed to be, trust me.

Good luck and good job!

$4mbBa.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yo $ambba
Your absolutely right about tce features and game feeling in 49b.
CQB, as Coro once said, NEVER meant to be an update for ELITE so there is only one way to make happy all of 49b fans. Source Code, Coro has still tce code [i hope] so is not impossible to imporve old bugs. Trust me, if he would make an uptade or patch for 49b i can add very nice weapon models as custom content. Sniper rifles smg's main battle riffle. Whatever you all need. Is not a problem to compile high poly models with great 2048x2048 res textures, especially today for fancy graphic cards.
TCE is still ultra playable game, CQB is going to be more realistic, slower tactical game, i really love both, and i hope 49b will be updated one day. I see more people on board and it make me happy
TC IS BACK :pistols:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

That's all I and ALL my friends want - a tce update. The rest is bs imo. If people want a more realistic game, they can buy bf4. It's all done there.

This topic should be about updating tce from what it is and from what people like me have played for so many years even without an update (since 06!!) - and the reason people have played it since 2006 is because the developers have found the perfect match in movimentation. If anything is to change in this aspectI, t can't get better, only worse.

Thanks, Yourself, I'd be a dream to see all these things happening the way they should.

There are lots of realistic games out there if you wanna play, but I believe we should focus on what we already have - and have better than other games - and then make room from improvement on what we're behind them.

Why not to fix the bugs, improve the maps and weapons and have the game supported by punkbuster again? These are the only things we need. If the game sucked as it is, people wouldn't continue playing it and loving it since the latest update it had in 06.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:42 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

This is about CQB - not TCE - hence it being in the CQB discussion board. Please keep posts on topic.

Coroner, for health regeneration, the bandaging system in Q3TC was great and pretty realistic. It would be nice to bring something like that back, if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Sorry, Diane,

I just thought of keeping the momentum coming (since the focus is on this topic) and expressed my opinion when it came to a discussion about an update/upgrade of the game.

I've said what I had to say - and since we're talking about CQB, my thoughts about movimentation also goes onto CQB. Making the game too slow takes the fun away from it.

$4mbBa.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:27 am 
Expert
Expert

I agree with Illwieckz on the open community aspect,
it should be on Github so it can be forked and be openly worked on.
ET:L has a lot of bugfixes and better security, TC/CQB could really
profit from that.

It's pretty logical that some different versions will popup, but that's just how
you test things : by letting gamers play it and give their feedback. Would be nice
to see TC servers with more difference than just it's map rotation and standard
gametypes.

Hud/No hud (besides timer) -> give players that option

No regen/Regeneration -> Give server operators that option

Dont forget that Q3map2 and perhaps a bit of explaining it's workings ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

I think it would be more benificial and doable if all would commit to one goal and one game.
I don't care for the name so much, let it be TCE or CQB, but going into two directions will just not help.

As for the praised movement system of TCE, lets wait for 0.224. The only difference between CQBs movement system and TCE is the physical player movement system (PPMS) which I had introduced for the never released TCE 0.491 based on the many complaints regarding TCE unrealistic arcady movement.

Now, lets assume, we want to bundle effort and head for one future game -and I am open to shape the movement system based on playtesting to come- we have to decide which direction TC:X is going for.

From what I understand:
Fast-action movement system, more like 0.49 or even Q3TC (?) combined with super realistic weapon simulation, no hud, and pickup/bandage health regen.

As a sidenote: as far as 0.49b source is considered, I would have to dig deeper. My old SVN repository is not up anymore. What I have now is CQB 0.224 internal and a snapshot of TCE 0.491, I believe. But since PPMS is a compile flag, 049 movement could probably restored.

Another sidenote on stand-alone: I will now try to make the next release independent of the etmain pacs. However, as a ET mod, there can't be a standalone bundled with the GPL ET:L engine. The distribution model would be much simpler though like for Urbanterror. Install ET:L, unpack TC. Done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:20 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

What is stopping you now, coroner?
Is it time? Is it money? Is it lack of developers?
I believe we all want this to come to life and be as big as it can.
If you need is no shame to ask for money on indiegogo. Make some nice arts and show what you want to archieve. The community will help with anything you need and new/interested users will donate.
Lets start it already.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:45 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Team spirit and fun ... CQB has not?

"I need a medic" radio.
This gave fame to "Enemy Territory"

Medical kit for everyone!
High score for healers!
And fun for everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:30 am 
Marksman
Marksman

That's the only thing I would ask you to do, and when I say "I, I believe am representing a huge part of the community - at least the veterans.

Change and add any feature you want, but keep in mind tce's PPMS is the main factor which causes the great feeling of playing this game and it is the main motivation why people kept playing it since 06, even with so many great new games out there - games with more "realistic movement" systems.

Cheers! Thanks for being active and giving attention to us, the community.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:59 am 
Expert
Expert

"I, I believe am representing a huge part of the community - at least the veterans."

Your personal opinion is what is it, personal.
It's a COMMUNITY, meaning you are just like everybody else, an individual, a person with a single but equal vote.

By saying what you said we have no other choice than to revoke your veteran status
and ask a monkey to spank you silly with CQB's PPMS :oopsie: :no:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Caesar77 wrote:
"Your personal opinion is what is it, personal.
It's a COMMUNITY, meaning you are just like everybody else, an individual, a person with a single but equal vote.

2 votes now... I agreed with him...
the way we move in TCE 0.49b is the shit... I want it back

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

You missed something there.... Read the first line, too.
I wasn't even talking about the thing you replied to. :wall:

Also : read that TCs anim can be brought back as CQBs system is seperate.

First CQB gets updated, if we start doing both it won't make sense.
Power needs to concentrated at one point.

From what that will produce it's easier to do a TC update as much of it depends
on the same code. So, what in your eyes might be updating one game is actually
updating 2 of TC's flavors at the same time as you will.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:21 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I hope this whole forum activities lately about updates, new versions and development are NOT the evil psycho preparation of a big april fool's trick and that there is definitly going to be a gameupdate / a standalone version / some sort of development ?

>I've got this site bookmarked for some years now. so forgive me if i am very skeptical. I realy do hope that "the coroner" will NOT feast on our hopes and "bury" our dreams, again ... like he did all the years before??? From the bottom of my heart: i hope i am wrong.........

JagdKampf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next