All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: On the road to a successful TrueCombat update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
Win (yes I meant Win by PC) compile chain is running again.
No worries, (of course) no sources are lost.

8)
Quote:
I don't even remember whether gametypes were unlocked and whether demolition and CTF is working in CQB if the map offers it. Maybe you guyz know better :)

I have played ctf against bots- everything works fine with cqb_dim.
Objective mode as well and even VO autotriggers like Taking fire,Enemy/Man Down works fine but cqb_dim is a mix of tcetest and cqbtest paks and i dont know whether latest official version does support obj/ctf.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:32 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

coroner wrote:
I don't even remember whether gametypes were unlocked and whether demolition and CTF is working in CQB if the map offers it. Maybe you guyz know better :)

Was quite a while ago now but if I remember correctly, the other gamemodes all function (just locked out due to sv_official) though I think they all used the CQB DM-style spawn system? That can be fine for BC and single spawn OBJ, but not so much for CTF. Teams could potentially end up spawning on opposite sides which is obviously not so good considering the flags.
Again, not 100% on that, but I think that was the case.

Oh and also, with the perks system, you couldn't get the Techkit in OBJ mode.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:42 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hello everyone!

Good job illwieckz for this excellent wrap up about the current state of the True Combat mods. It's also a nice way to reunite the most active users of CQB discussion in one single place and for a common cause, which is a new release for CQB. Because like Dim$tar, I also believe that CQB is where the future is.

Yeah, We all know CQB runs on a +10 year old engine but we also know that It is possible to put CQB on par with any modern game with the help of a more updated engine, and everything points that ET:Legacy is the right choice to go.

It's nice to see that coroner still has the intentions to release an update for CQB, after all what is CQB? CQB is TCE but much better, right? No zoom when aiming dowm the sight, anyone? Stuffs like this are what makes CQB the perfect choice for a new TC mod update.

So coroner my recommendation for you is:

Like illwieckz said, the process of isntalling TC mods HAS to be simplified. This will only translate into more people downloading and installing TC on their PCs. So the need of a standalone CQB is critical for success. Because that's what we want for TC, nothing but success in the modern era. You could easily shut down the website servers and declare the game dead, but we don't want that. We want the world to try what a TC experience is but for that we need a feature packed CQB.

And my final recommendation is that, if You really need help from the community just ask for it but not in an informal way though a post reply. If you need a team you have to recruit them in a more formal and organized way. For example, you could coordinate with Diane or whoever is in charge of the forums right now to open a forum thread specifically about the recruitment of a team for a specific objective, in this case "the release of the next CQB update". There you could explain what are the guidelines to follow, what skills are you looking for, etc. Also in that thread there should be an "applications" topic, so people interested in helping could post what are their skill level and how they could help with the development process, be it programmer, mapper, etc.

That's how you'll see results. Then you would have to select and coordinate with the people you need.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Perhaps a page about CQB in http://www.moddb.com to get people interested? For now it is possible to upload locked alpha, screenshots, videos to gain more interest before unlocked 0.224 hits the web?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:33 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

yks wrote:
Perhaps a page about CQB in http://www.moddb.com to get people interested? For now it is possible to upload locked alpha, screenshots, videos to gain more interest before unlocked 0.224 hits the web?

This had all been discussed before when there were plans to develop CQB again in 2013. However, any publicity or promotion for CQB was going to be put on hold until there was actually an active version released and not done prematurely because we do not want to follow the path of promoting a mod that does not come to fruition - as we have done in the past - thus disappointing a potential community - again.

I believe the same should be done with asking people to apply to help. We did assemble a volunteer dev team in 2013 for CQB but since the mod was not released, their work was basically put on hold in vain.

So I recommend (in regard to promoting/asking for applications) that we hold off on those avenues until the project is officially a go.

And if/when we get the greenlight, will let you all know and ask for your assistance in helping to promote this mod and/or help develop. But for the time being, we really enjoy reading your suggestions/input/ideas and I personally am very excited at the thought that CQB might be reborn.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

True. I also understand yks's idea but it is too early to promote half-existing game. Nowaday we have 100 ways to make easy promotion. FB,Twitter, YT [+ tags] Instagram :P moddb, gamebanana, x-hamster :twisted: and many many other so i agree with Diane. Anyway yks as you know you can count on us when it comes to make CQB more popular, but we have to wait :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:00 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Just got exited about CQB comeback =D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:25 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Like Diane said - the first step will be the actual release of an unlocked 0.224, preferably stand alone.

First step first, but I am also looking to forward to see the excellent custom work getting official!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm 
Master
Master

Coroner's words are like music to my ears. Best of luck towards your work! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:15 pm 
Master
Master

coroner wrote:
Like Diane said - the first step will be the actual release of an unlocked 0.224, preferably stand alone.

What will unlocked CQB 0.224 bring ? as we already have dim mod.
More weapon mods customization would be great like in BF3,BF4,BFH
We need anti cheat software.
And matchmaking (quick join with map,game mode preset) system like csgo,... have it but not so much focused on ranking because it need a lot of polishing, later when we got more players.

Will we see it on steam as you have said it will be stand alone.
TC:E was already greenlit a year ago.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=93422342

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:29 am 
Master
Master

luka wrote:
What will unlocked CQB 0.224 bring ? as we already have dim mod.

It will make things less "hacky". Dimmod was a necessity to keep CQB alive but it doesn't provide a very friendly modding environment.

Quote:
We need anti cheat software.
And matchmaking (quick join with map,game mode preset) system like csgo,... have it but not so much focused on ranking because it need a lot of polishing, later when we got more players.
ET:L engine improvements will help with this features.

I'm helping out the only way I know at the moment, joining ET:L team's efforts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

For the next release there are two gameplay questions:

i) In MW:TC I went with no hud at all. I quite like this idea, I have to admit. Objectives and own team members can be indicated by floating sprites.

ii) The issue of health regeneration, I don't mind, although I understand the criticism. However even Insurgency has health regeneration. I don't like health pack spawning. Something like 'confirming kills' which add to health?

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:55 pm 
Master
Master

coroner wrote:
i) In MW:TC I went with no hud at all. I quite like this idea, I have to admit. Objectives and own team members can be indicated by floating sprites.
I like this concept.
You could bring back some hud elements by simulating a GPS, for an example. Just off the top of my head, it would behave like a weapon and once it was selected, a part of the hud would be drawn within the boundaries of it's screen showing teammates and objectives.

I don't think you can avoid the score table though. One thing in TC:E was, the kills on the opposite team weren't shown on the table but you could confirm a kill if you notice an enemy being moved to the bottom of the list. To avoid this, it could be static until the end of the round.
Quote:
ii) The issue of health regeneration, I don't mind, although I understand the criticism. However even Insurgency has health regeneration. I don't like health pack spawning. Something like 'confirming kills' which add to health?
Partial health regeneration could work, something like if your health goes under 75/100 you can only regenerate to 75 then set up these thresholds at 25-50-75.
Another thing to consider would be bandaging/mending wounds with health decreasing until you do so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:

Very good idea, friendly for new players.
Objectives /teammates sprites are helpful and necessary, could it be done as a part of customizable hud elements? 4ex: we can choose in game menu what will be visible on screen. Radar/lagometer/time/ammo/stamina/current position.These settings would be fully changeble. I like to play totally HC/no hud/ but someone else would like to know where the team is currently, how many magz he has/ where is objective.

Quote:
I don't think you can avoid the score table though. One thing in TC:E was, the kills on the opposite team weren't shown on the table but you could confirm a kill if you notice an enemy being moved to the bottom of the list. To avoid this, it could be static until the end of the round.
Quote:
Partial health regeneration could work, something like if your health goes under 75/100 you can only regenerate to 75 then set up these thresholds at 25-50-75.
Another thing to consider would be bandaging/mending wounds with health decreasing until you do so.

10/10 Damien.

Auto Health regeneraion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Btw what you think guyz about this:
If you taking heavy fire [ to 10 -20 hp]
Opt 1.Your main weapon should fall down on the ground then u need to switch to sidearm and you cant pick main weapon back until your health bar will be full or 80- 90%
Opt 2. Aiming system should be very hard to control [increasing sway up to 50 % or messing around freelook feature to align bad angle between camera-weapon pov.

And one thing what would be nice to HEAR.
Clothes foley while:
going down/up prone
going down/up crouch
aiming/unaiming
Have got 20000000 useful samples so is not a problem for me to design it well.
(Sound is what i do for a living)

Feel free to comment, those up are only ideas is not a next WISHLIST topic, i just wanna know your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:04 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I like the no HUD idea too, but there should be noted in deployment menu that how many magazines/shells the weapon has right after spawning. But if there is no mag/round count on screen, what to do when you pick up a gun from battlefield? Maybe it has only half of the magazine left but you can't tell if there is no mag/round/shell count :| .
Maybe an momentary(~3 sec?) mag/shell count on the corner of the screen right after spawn and picking up a gun from ground?

One optional idea about hud: mission timer, lagometer and fps meter on player list screen(by default pressing TAB button). I personally do not need them all the time, but it would give the option to check quickly if information is needed.

And from sound department: grenade reverb feature would be nice(indoor/outdoor like firearms but separate reverb sound files)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next