All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 pm 
Master
Master

sxy wrote:
Nowadays most map geometry is made using 3D modelling applications like blender, maya and 3ds max, so this shouldn't be that big of a problem (unfortunately it takes awfully more time to skin geometry in modelling app than in radiant).
Radiant does support exporting the geometry in an .ase format but exporting the brushwork from Radiant directly (using the export function) will get you bad results.

What you must do is compile a .bsp map (1st stage is enough) into an .ase model. It makes the conversion a bit more complicated but the geometry gets skinned just as you made it in Radiant.

The last step is fixing up the model in a software of your choice, this means removing unwanted faces if there are any and assigning materials to surfaces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Damien wrote:
sxy wrote:
Nowadays most map geometry is made using 3D modelling applications like blender, maya and 3ds max, so this shouldn't be that big of a problem (unfortunately it takes awfully more time to skin geometry in modelling app than in radiant).
Radiant does support exporting the geometry in an .ase format but exporting the brushwork from Radiant directly (using the export function) will get you bad results.

What you must do is compile a .bsp map (1st stage is enough) into an .ase model. It makes the conversion a bit more complicated but the geometry gets skinned just as you made it in Radiant.

The last step is fixing up the model in a software of your choice, this means removing unwanted faces if there are any and assigning materials to surfaces.

The problem isn't the format the geometry is in, it's that brushes are not complex as they need to be. Bezier patches kind of helped this, but not as much as they needed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:27 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I spoke with Liquid earlier this morning. He has convinced me that the best way to go would be deferred lighting. After some thinking, I've decided on an intuitive pipeline that will help accomplish this.

Anyone reading this topic, feel free to drop by on irc.quakenet.org #tc:elite and say hello. I'll try and keep everyone posted to my progress :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:31 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Bit of an update before I go to bed :)

I came up with a great idea for a deferred lighting that is both flexible and powerful. I'll discuss it at a later time. Preparing to make it, I created basic GUI interaction for a material editor in Qt. In addition to the graph (presented here) there will be a simplified version with simple inputs for the diffuse, emissive, normal, specular, and/or gloss maps. You can these two modes interchangeably. One is just more powerful and complex.

Here are a few screenshots showing off nodes w/ connections, and the various styles of lines that I managed to draw between them. The nodes don't actually mean anything. Later on I'll tie the preview image (the blue/red gradient) into the engine so you'll get accurate results with what you are dealing with. To anyone who has worked with UDK or Maya, these should look familiar :)

Cubic bezier
http://i.imgur.com/sgxel.jpg

"Circuit board"
http://i.imgur.com/JWlYA.jpg

Straight line
http://i.imgur.com/Ksdfb.jpg

Note: they're mostly bug-free. There's only one real big bug, and that's the issue with measuring the widget of the text. Otherwise, these puppies work excellent.

Last edited by affine on Sun May 13, 2012 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:30 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Here's another little update :) I have nodes being defined in individual JSON files, with the extension .node. This way people can create their own nodes very easily without the editor, and also debug stuff. At the bottom you can see the GLSL code associated with the inputs.

Here's cross.node:
Code:
{
   "label"      : "Cross Product",   // human-readable label in-editor
   "category"   : "Vector",         // Category in the node tree
   "inputs":
   [                  
      {
         "name"   : "in_a",      // codegen symbol name
         "label"   : "A",
         "type"   : 3            // vector3, XYZ
      },      
      {
         "name"   : "in_b",
         "label"   : "B",
         "type"   : 3
      }   
   ],
   "outputs":
   [      
      {
         "name"   : "out_value",
         "type"   : 3
      }         
   ],
   "codegen":"out_value = cross(in_a, in_b);"
}

And here's the result:
http://i.imgur.com/NBTnl.jpg

The list of node files to load is stored in nodelist.def, which is in the same directory, kind of like how q3 did shaders :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

looks promising :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:27 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Ah thanks :) I found a creative way to handle casting and syntax errors. Basically I'll just recompile the shader every time there is a change to the graph. If the compile fails, then disallow the connection the user is trying to make. Otherwise accept the connection and display the result.

Last night I fixed the issue with the label display. I'd like to have a usability test sometime soon for this. Right now I'm having issues with the panning ;) but after I get that fixed there is a very limited number of other things I have to put in. Everything else works like magic (rubber band selecting shapes, moving the selection, breaking connections, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:56 pm 
Master
Master

Looks like you know what are you doing. As much as I don't understand a word from your previous posts, I like it,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:37 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hehehe :) thanks!

The GUI is almost done! I do need someone to make icons for me, though. My drawing skills are quite limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Small update:

More bug fixes and everything. Panning and zooming works like a charm, now. Changed the styling of nodes to be more UDK-esque :)

http://i.imgur.com/N3ifB.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:36 am 
Marksman
Marksman

I'm in the process of preparing for a small TCE LAN party and I decided to check this site on a whim. HOLY COW, best news ever! I thought TC was gonna end up dying, but no, revival is happening like I was hoping! Affine, I want to help out with your project if possible, I'm graduating high school in a couple of weeks and have nothing to do yet. I don't know programming, or anything yet but if there's anything I could do to help please let me know. I'm planning on going into the indie game business eventually so anything I can do to help you will help me. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:31 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Yeah for sure :D drop by #tc:elite on irc.quakenet.org (use webchat if you must) and hit me up some time. I'll give you my MSN and Skype at that time.

edit:

More work is done :) properties are now displayed and can be modified. Description for each node can also be set, allowing comments.

I am going to strip the img tags from my previous posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:47 pm 
Master
Master

Damn nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:14 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Thanks again :)

The GUI is almost done. I just write a serializer/deserializer so you can save/open shaders (as they're also JSON.) Now to start the compiler for it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Looks good, just like UDK :)
If we can do mapping in a beefed up radiant and edit materials like in UDK, you get me hooked.

Radiant is very important ...
Something like UDK with Radiant as mapping tool.
I say this with Radiant, because you must not underestimate how a possible game would stand or fall with maps. And there is much talent to do Radiant mapping out there. Just needs a decent terrain editing mode and texture blending mode like Cod5 Radiant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next