All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Don't be ridiculous. I have known him for years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

I dont know about you gentlemen, but I think none of you read Coroners last blog post... ( motivation not high ) The answer is simple: No new updates, no response from the "team", no community, no game. What we have right now: willing helpers, group of people hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel, hand full of people trying to fill the status of a "community". End result: there will still be 1 man working on this project and his name is Coroner. We've tried to tell him to let us ( you all ) help him, but no real response of acknowledgement. In turn there is all your answers, stop hoping for a tce/cqb future since the boss has no work force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:00 pm 
Master
Master

|2oss® wrote:
I dont know about you gentlemen, but I think none of you read Coroners last blog post... ( motivation not high ) The answer is simple: No new updates, no response from the "team", no community, no game. What we have right now: willing helpers, group of people hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel, hand full of people trying to fill the status of a "community". End result: there will still be 1 man working on this project and his name is Coroner. We've tried to tell him to let us ( you all ) help him, but no real response of acknowledgement. In turn there is all your answers, stop hoping for a tce/cqb future since the boss has no work force.
Technically... you are right (sadly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I have been nagging at all the developers for TC:E that I can find to help out with this thing. Everyone has been so flip-flop it's not even funny - I barely have my forum account activated.

Really, I don't want to sound like an ass here, but I know my skills are competent enough to get everyone to shut up about an engine switch or engine upgrade. That is, as long as I still feel like working on it. The likelihood of me picking up another project if I don't hear from coroner in the near future is high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:32 pm 
High Master
High Master

by the way. anyone heard of coroner recently?
or did he vanish again for a few years to come?
:?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

I am still around. RL is busy.
I can share my thoughts about engine switch

*most switches would require a complete dev team

*UDK, I can only tell that the editor is crap
*HL2, editor crap
*COD4/COD:WAW, the best radiant ever, I managed to get first person weapon models in the game, pain in the ass, however, without Maya. Both are only scriptable which limits the options (e.g., no portal scopes), unfortunately the radiosity light maps are vastly inferior to mine with perceptual tone mapping. Particularly, COD:WAW engine could look really good at decent FPS.
*Cryengine3 dev Kit, just registered and looked at once, impressing, no experience otherwise
*Idtech4, no game ever looked good on it
*Idtech5, as far as I know it wont have full mod support (if at all)
*Xreal, if there will ever be a stable build for non experts ...

Otherwise I agree that ET engine would just need some minor addons with could be even ripped off Xreal or UrTbumpy or older Q2 engine mods, but I wasn't able to find someone who would be heading for such a simple project with realistic, reachable goals. Everybody wants the shiny complete engine overhaul (thats usually half finished when the next superior engine gets GPLed or a free devkit and the process starts from scratch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:22 pm 
Master
Master

Holy shit, Coroner isn't dead :o

Technically, engine switch is a too big work anyway. If we make an engine switch we might just as well get TC: CQB full release by that time when just switching engines. My vote: Stick to Id Tech 3, do some cool changes for it, make it look cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 pm 
Master
Master

coroner wrote:
I am still around. RL is busy.
I can share my thoughts about engine switch

*most switches would require a complete dev team

*UDK, I can only tell that the editor is crap
*HL2, editor crap
*COD4/COD:WAW, the best radiant ever, I managed to get first person weapon models in the game, pain in the ass, however, without Maya. Both are only scriptable which limits the options (e.g., no portal scopes), unfortunately the radiosity light maps are vastly inferior to mine with perceptual tone mapping. Particularly, COD:WAW engine could look really good at decent FPS.
*Cryengine3 dev Kit, just registered and looked at once, impressing, no experience otherwise
*Idtech4, no game ever looked good on it
*Idtech5, as far as I know it wont have full mod support (if at all)
*Xreal, if there will ever be a stable build for non experts ...

Otherwise I agree that ET engine would just need some minor addons with could be even ripped off Xreal or UrTbumpy or older Q2 engine mods, but I wasn't able to find someone who would be heading for such a simple project with realistic, reachable goals. Everybody wants the shiny complete engine overhaul (thats usually half finished when the next superior engine gets GPLed or a free devkit and the process starts from scratch)

I love down to earth practical recitations like this one. And in this case Coroner also pretty much sums up some of the reasons for the state of mod and indie game development we see today on these very same engines with: Thousands of UDK indie and mod projects stalled or abandoned, mostly derivative work with rough edges everywhere on HL2/Source (with a few dedicated exceptions), CE3 looks exciting but so did the CE2 MDK -- it may be years before there are enough people interested in working with it to support a team effort that gets real work done, Tech 4 stalled and nothing happening, Xreal will be Zreal before Xreal is in a useful form anyone creates content on no less a playable game...

Granted this is the hobby world of game development where the internet gives us a back window into every garage project which encompasses an enormous range of goals and intentions (or lack there of); but it shows to go ya that as far as the rubber meeting the road in results oriented development, even when it's slow going -- the Coroner's shop still is one of the longest burning and brightest brightest lights in the long night of independent game development.

:)

Last edited by hoak on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:57 am 
Expert
Expert

hoak wrote:
I love down to earth practical recitations like this one. And in this case Coroner also pretty much sums up some of the reasons for the state of mod and indie game development we see today on these very same engines with: Thousands of UDK indie and mod projects stalled or abandoned, mostly derivative work with rough edges everywhere on HL2/Source (with a few dedicated exceptions), CE3 looks exciting but so did the CE2 MDK -- it may be years before there are enough people interested in working with it to support a team effort that gets real work done, Tech 4 stalled and nothing happening, Xreal will be Zreal before Xreal is in a useful form anyone creates content on no less a playable game...

Granted this is the hobby world of game development where the internet gives us a back window into every garage project which encompasses an enormous range of goals and intentions (or lack there of); but it shows to go ya that as far as the rubber meeting the road in results oriented development, even when it's slow going -- the Coroner's shop still is one longest burning and brightest brightest lights in the long night of independent game development.

:)

You can tell someone has never used Xreal/is even educated in Xreal. Xreal is quite stable itself and a few projects have done well with it, including its own.

And I wouldn't exactly call Coroner's "shop" the brightest or even very bright at all. Sure it may be long burning, but brightest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 am 
Master
Master

Alpha Red wrote:
You can tell someone has never used Xreal/is even educated in Xreal.

Speaking for yourself?

Alpha Red wrote:
Xreal is quite stable itself and a few projects have done well with it, including its own.

A 'project' or pretty tech demo with some nice art is not a game, and that's the point here; there are a boat load of unfinished 'projects' that are 'quite stable' that may also have 'a few projects' that have 'done well' (what ever that vague allusion means)...

But do point me to that popular, finishd, stable, feature complete, playable Xreal game that's doing so well -- when you find it...

Alpha Red wrote:
And I wouldn't exactly call Coroner's "shop" the brightest or even very bright at all.

Then by all means don't...

Alpha Red wrote:
Sure it may be long burning, but brightest?

I didn't say 'the', I has a qualifier in there 'one of'...

Bad day?

:lol:

Last edited by hoak on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:56 pm 
Master
Master

This thread is silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 pm 
Master
Master

Damien wrote:
This thread is silly.

So are all threads in mod forums insisting there should be an engine change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:29 pm 
Master
Master

Xreal makes the most sense...

But i dunno, i sonehow enjoy current look, some advanced post processing and some bumpys would be ideal. Still CQBs visuals are heavily depenant on high quality textures and models, couple that with detailed enviroment , this sort of visual fidelity is not seen in many todays game which are heavily dependant on the engine part rather than the assets.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:42 am 
Master
Master

Haraldzz wrote:
Damien wrote:
This thread is silly.

Haraldzz!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:27 pm 
Master
Master

hoak wrote:
Haraldzz wrote:
Damien wrote:
This thread is silly.

Haraldzz!

:D

Uhhh... Yes, how may I help you?