All times are UTC

Post subject: Forgive me if this has been discussed before:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:54 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

The lack of game play is not what is causing the low turnout of people, it's the lack of exposure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this game is NOT widely advertised right? Why not take measures to get CQB featured on sites like Mod Database? Possibly write press releases to post on gaming websites? I saw Coroner was disappointed at the lack of people playing, so what can be done to further expose the game? 95% of the people I've showed this game to, hadn't even heard of it. So clearly, exposure is the issue here.

Comments/Questions/Concerns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:49 pm 
Master
Master

IMO- There are a lot of people that still play TCE. These people do not like the new features of CQB. They would prefer to play TCE over CQB. That is fine, that's their choice.

But like many people before them, they eventually dropped Q3TC and started playing TCE. This evolution will happen again. CQB is in a very early stage to pass judgment on. It is still evolving. Eventually the same people will come back and start playing CQB.

My problem is the same problem I've always had.......

Zero support for 3rd Party maps.

Surely Coroner doesn't expect people to play on the same map much longer. I wish he would pick a couple of maps from the community and ensure their up to par and are good enough as to CQB's standards.

Why do you think there are just a hand full of mappers in the community? The rest have all gone or have given up. You know why? People refuse to support 3rd Party maps and put them on servers. The same will happen with CQB unless people start supporting 3rd Party Maps.

Honestly, after I release the ship map. I plan to tip my hat and say good bye. Like The5thHorseman, I too have had a bittersweet experience with the whole map making scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm 
Master
Master

people expect too much from cqb in this early stage.... its just an alpha!
give it obj and some maps (even fixed versions of tce maps would be enough) and tce would soon swaü spots with cqb^^
so what everyone needs is: patience!

*Clan Movie #2*|xfire: snakes3k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

+1 Stealth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:00 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

What I also replied to Stealth in private message is that I am more than happy to pick up and add community maps that are up to par with CQB standards, but I simply cannot supply you with help or managing for mapping.
So, if you can come up with maps that are like 90% of CQB standard I can offer some bits of advice and review, but unfortunately I simply don't have the time for more.
What I can offer is to add the map sources of cqb_sample and current WIP cqb_killhouse to the next release.
My plan was to unlock the alpha when it is progressing to beta but I could consider to unlock the game in developer mode and listen server already now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:08 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Stealth wrote:
IMO- There are a lot of people that still play TCE. These people do not like the new features of CQB. They would prefer to play TCE over CQB. That is fine, that's their choice.

But like many people before them, they eventually dropped Q3TC and started playing TCE. This evolution will happen again. CQB is in a very early stage to pass judgment on. It is still evolving. Eventually the same people will come back and start playing CQB.

My problem is the same problem I've always had.......

Zero support for 3rd Party maps.

Surely Coroner doesn't expect people to play on the same map much longer. I wish he would pick a couple of maps from the community and ensure their up to par and are good enough as to CQB's standards.

Why do you think there are just a hand full of mappers in the community? The rest have all gone or have given up. You know why? People refuse to support 3rd Party maps and put them on servers. The same will happen with CQB unless people start supporting 3rd Party Maps.

Honestly, after I release the ship map. I plan to tip my hat and say good bye. Like The5thHorseman, I too have had a bittersweet experience with the whole map making scene.

Well I was more or less referring to OUTSIDE exposure, not just in-house TCE players. I have a lot of friends who have tried this game (never played TCE before) and really enjoyed it, despite the limited game play at this point, understanding its in Alpha.

My question was more to the team that is in charge of promotion to gaming websites, forums, communities, in order to spread the word of this game. I'll show you an example:

http://tactical-assault.com/forum/suppo ... s-to-spam/

This game is actively traveling to gaming communities, websites, getting featured on Mod DB, etc. in order to get the game more exposure to outside players (not already playing TCE).

CQB is very promising, even with a lack of 3rd party modification. Many games actually are better being more simple, i.e. a few maps, a couple game modes, and a selection of weapons. Look at Counter Strike / Source. How many S&D / Objective maps are there? How many weapons are there? How LONG have those same maps and weapons been there? Simple is sometimes better.

I am just trying to gauge if measures are / need to be taken to spread this game around to get it better exposed. Like I said, out of the 30 or so people I introduced to this game, about 4 had actually heard of TCE. It's a very closed community, which isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. But, in terms of exposure, I think more needs to be done. That is where I was going with this :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:26 pm 
Master
Master

Indeed. It has to be posted on Moddb and maybe even on Desura.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Haraldzz wrote:
Indeed. It has to be posted on Moddb and maybe even on Desura.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to get at.

This game won't pick up with just the in-house TCE users. It needs MORE than that and Mod DB and Desura would be a great start. I'm just trying to figure out why it hasn't been done already. I've yet to hear from a Team Terminator rep, which I'd like to of course, that says something along the lines of, "Our intentions are this, this, and this" or "It is not our intention to advertise it to tons of websites" or something.

This game has great graphics on a great engine --- game play aspects will come later, keeping in mind this is still in Alpha, so that's to be expected with the limited game play right now. This game COULD be really popular, but it needs to be advertised. Plain and simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:58 pm 
Master
Master

The problem might be that:
* Developers are afraid, they are going to get "OMG MW2 COPY, I RATE THIS 1" so every next one who looks at the page, understands it's a failure to play this and basically just gives bad reputation to the team;
* Developers are too lazy to keep updating the Moddb/Desura page;
* The mod is currently in Alpha version which will get even more those "OMG MW2 COPY, THIS GAME IS BAD" assholes who don't give an F about it, again lowering the reputation of the team.

I might be wrong however, but it's all up to Coroner and rest of the team.
If needed - F all those CoD fanboys, mark the mod as not released and make a warning in every possible place that it's still an alpha version, upload the alpha versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:08 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

i have suggested to advertise this game so many times, the P.Rs. should do something about it "diane?" you have to advertise to gain more player base population, ive suggested to advertise in www.gametrailers.com , diane you should give it a try, since your the P.R.

Last edited by Dragonathan on Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 am 
Expert
Expert

Its way too damn early to be advertising anything yet. Alpha is alpha and it will be a turn down for players who even just want a glance at it. Its alot better to advertise a product that will come instead of a product that is. Create the hype and deliver the good. Advertising this alpha will turn away more than it brings in. Especially on an old engine. If you want to advertise the game on an old engine like this to invite new people you need to show the graphics at its best and to attract old school players you need to show intense game play action, which with body count you cant do. So as I said its way too damn early to be advertising anything. Maybe just a coming soon video with views of the models/maps/guns/ 1 or 2 firefights to post elsewhere. Advertisements dont come until the product is polished and finished with all testing complete as well as the necessary hype already in place by the coming soon videos.

Examples: Cod 4, Cod 6, Cod 8 (mw3?), battlefield 3. All have multiple videos to hype the audience up and to preorder the games. Even if the game is crap once they get it, the pure hype of it will bring in a shit load of people.

I think advertising isnt the issue that should be looked at. Its the lack of developer(s)/pr (no offense diane) available to the public. I'm sure there's multiple people in this community who have been eager and waiting for their chance to keep a game alive that they've been playing for YEARS. BUT, cant because there is no formal communication between current devs/pr and community to recruit. Replenishing the ranks is what keeps the community going. As a few skilled mappers/coders/artists have already said in this thread they are leaving because of the lack of formal communication between current devs to recruit worthy people.

Current Developers: Coroner, ?
Current PR: Diane, ?

No further comments needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:35 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

you right 2oss, the game should be finished before you advertise,
when the game is finished try to advertise it here: www.mmohut.com
EDIT: mmohut gives a video review of the game,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

I think it is a bit unfair to blame lack of communication to dev and pr for stopping to map or contribute to CQB.

First, there is only an alpha and no official support for mapping yet.

Second, as it is obvious that mostly everything in the official CQB map is TCE based, it is also clear (and was said before) that mapping is very much the same as for TCE with less choke-point design and more polygons/detail.

As a consequence, with TCEs assets at hand, it is perfectly possible to make CQB map and to develop all required skills. I also map from the very same folders and installation as I mapped for TCE before. There is simply no difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm not talking about being able to contribute to CQB. Its obvious people will contribute if the tools are there. I'm talking about after you finish this game and are satisfied with a release, there will be a point where you wont want to develop more. (correct me if im wrong) I understand you have no time and are doing you very best, and its well appreciated, but the concern is to further develop the game and have games to come. From my perspective I understand and agree with your decision to solo this project, but what about after your done? There are multiple people who would like to join the 'team' and work on future of this game on other engines or whatever it may be. I'm not sure how many members of your current team you have left, but my only advice would have to be if you want to see this game continue for a long long time then recruitment will have to occur at one point or another. Seeing that developers disappeared for a few years last time, who's to say that its not a possibility to happen again.

As i said i'm not trying to be offensive to developer(s) or pr, just simply looking at it in a futuristic perspective.