All times are UTC

Post subject: CQB's PPMS
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:01 pm 
Master
Master

I think CQB's PPM System is excellent! It does indeed work and goes a long way to prevent most action/arcade play 'Stylz that have no place in, and are not intended to be part of any serious Tactical Realism shooter. Anyone remarking that they perceive movement as anything resembling 'clumpsy and 150-kg like' is just inarticulate commentary, similar to commentary that calls 3D render artifacts 'lag'.

There are some aspects of third person animation that can look awkward or unnatural and may appear to some as 'clumpsy and 150-kg like' but this in no way effects how the game plays from the first-person which is surprisingly realistic. There also appears to be some small player model scale issues where some combination of the first-person camera, FOV scaling, and the actual first-person model sizes appears to be too large for the map.

On a positive note the scale presentation seems to also prevent effortless and unrealistic sprinting through doorways and tight areas, which in the real world is not only impractical tactically (from a life preserving perspective) but is physically difficult and awkward compared to most what FPS shooters offer, and is more difficult as a function of how encumbered you are, the length and size of the weapon(s) you carry.

Coroner perhaps rhetorically asks: "Will CQB be powerful enough to attract (new) players that perceive more realistic movement as a nice feature?", and while that remains to be seen as with any game that needs more then one map and one critical and well developed feature to appeal strongly to any audience (that doesn't know it exists) -- I've heard many positive remarks from TR Fan/Friends that eschew TDM, and I found the game surprisingly fun for TDM, and I like many of my ilk almost never play DM games.

With realistic objective(s), perhaps asymmetrical game-modes, realistic Modern Warfare like stance based leaning to go with the realistic movement, and a few more maps; there's no doubt in my mind that once discovered: R6 Fans, SWAT Fans, as well as many Ghost Recon, OFP and ArmA and Fans seeking CQ game-play will love CQB once they discover it.

:)

Last edited by hoak on Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:26 pm 
High Master
High Master

I like the new jump.
Turning while in mid air isn't very realistic, and this surely takes away 360-jump-headshots.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm 
Master
Master

who says u cant exploit the new system? :D in the short time i tested it, i've become quickly used to it and can do some stuff u sure wouldnt like to see ;) (hint: try jumping from one metal-roof to the other in the middle of the map, some wouldnt even think of that but i made it in the first try within my first 5 mins of playing^^ and there's other stuff u can do..).
actually in some areas i even think it can be more exploited than tce's system tbh. tho i obv still prefer tce's movement and would like to see a better mix of both at some point in order to please the experienced .48/.49 players as well as the ones demanding more realism.

*Clan Movie #2*|xfire: snakes3k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

gonzo|Uncle Bionic wrote:
I like the new jump.
Turning while in mid air isn't very realistic, and this surely takes away 360-jump-headshots.

No! No ! No! for me jumps of tce 0.49 was for me unique in fps games because it make a fast game and often jumps need skillz.But now i found this game too slow D:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:13 pm 
Master
Master

I like the the direction coroner has taken with CQB. The trick will be having really good maps in the OBJ modes. You can still jump to cover if you are sprinting, but you must go in the direction you are already headed (then crouch). It actually feels like you are kind of diving to cover. I would like to see something more like that instead of the 0.49b 'lean jumping.' The reasoning for it is the same, but you want to eliminate lame corner hopping or just jumping out the way of gunfire.

BUT.. this is a game, and it should feel like a game, and not a chore to play. I think movement is the groundbreaker, make it fluid. The different sensitivities with aiming and looking isn't great. Competitive players want consistency between motions. If I have to tweak m_pitch, m_yaw, and sensitivity to get the game to feel right, then something is off.

Also, Can we get rid of the High Powered Ammo and Painkiller? Everyone should be on the same field in that regard. One guy running around with Painkiller, high damage, leaning, and carrying a MP5 will mow lots of people down. And some of the ironsights feel a little off when leaning too (I'm sure people have posted more details about bugs).

Coroner, with this game, you have a chance to appeal to lots of types of players. Instead of a g_realism, how about different game modes turn on, turn off perks and cvars, to create a unique mode of playing per server, all within the package. Everyone is dying for it, and the competitive players are dying for a game similar to TC:E. Think about it, you have Quake, CoD, CS:S, etc. All of them are missing elements that TC:E has but not complete like it could be. Fill the gap bro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

About the only major complaint from me is that the gravity seems a bit low. It doesn't feel/look like you're falling fast enough after jumping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:19 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Just a suggestion, I want to be one of the first to make waypoints for bots in CQB. Therefore I am hoping there is another version or patch of the alpha that will unlock the sv_official and sv_pure to 0, coming soon. Or if you could just release a forum on how to unlock the sv_pure and sv_official to be able to use bots as a modding tool. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 am 
Master
Master

Alpha Red wrote:
About the only major complaint from me is that the gravity seems a bit low. It doesn't feel/look like you're falling fast enough after jumping.

I agree, though the camera ducking vection is very nicely done when you land. The camera physics on the free-look snap system is also very nice!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 am 
Expert
Expert

Nice comment/ideas Baal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

+1 Baal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:49 pm 
Master
Master

I get the idea to restrict players being able to twist in midair but people should be able to continue a twist that started before he jumped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Eqpe wrote:
I get the idea to restrict players being able to twist in midair but people should be able to continue a twist that started before he jumped

I would break my legs.. like ballet you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:49 pm 
Master
Master

RavoC. wrote:
Eqpe wrote:

I would break my legs.. like ballet you mean?

I feel sorry for you, maybe you should have a health check for osteoporosis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

joking apart, continuing a twist is simple physics, and a simple speed penalty could apply to simulate balance loss and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm 
Master
Master

Like to see lean not a perk could replace with quick reload perk or like uncle bionic mention in an other thread grenadier perk (2x nades)