All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

wisebaby wrote:
coroner wrote:
I can mostly agree to the responses given above.

I think the next 0.223 patch will have all basic faetures set, next steps have to be on mapping and gametypes.
I can give some general ideas where I see headroom for further changes:

Regarding the hud, it could be even less (HL2 Insurgency is a good example).
If a minimap is coming it will be in the briefing.

Regarding weapons, there will be more options for the reflex sights and the 4x ACOG will come. I will also add KAC PDW and AKSU, not sure about much more (potentially AA-12 and Saiga 12k and .338 Lapua bolt action sniper rifles, doesnt make much sense for CQB though). Probably the SCAR mk17 will replace the REC7 and the M4 SOPMOD the current SCAR mk16.

There will be no noob tubes, grenade launchers, kill streaks etc. I also recommend to buy MW2 then.

dude i have cod already but im bored of it

Too bad then :lol:

Btw.. could we get BFG10k? In Quake2 style please! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm 
Master
Master

I like game A.
Game B bores me.
Make A more like B.

What?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

This is probably some kind of new quantum logic :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Coroner, why do you want scar and rec replaced? Why don't you just add them. I know you didn't want bunch of guns which handle almost the same, but those old guns are well done. It would be a shame if they would go to waste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

The best weapon seems to be the SR110 4x14 + MS390 combo. Pretty much ownage all the time 8) Even in the cqb_sample map. But BUIS better for first-time snipers i think.
I've watched cqb players starting with rec or mp5 then slightly changeing to "harder" weapons when they see they are better if handled right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

coroner wrote:
Regarding weapons, there will be more options for the reflex sights and the 4x ACOG will come. I will also add KAC PDW and AKSU, not sure about much more (potentially AA-12 and Saiga 12k and .338 Lapua bolt action sniper rifles, doesnt make much sense for CQB though). Probably the SCAR mk17 will replace the REC7 and the M4 SOPMOD the current SCAR mk16.

I guess I'll mention this now then, a good match for the SG552 would be the G36C. They have VERY similar dimensions in length and barrel length. The ROF on the 36 is around 750 which is reasonably close to the 700ish of the SG552, so the difference between the two could just be omitted if need be.
It'd realisticly put them closer to the 800rpm represented in the game (I assume it's the same as TC:E's 5.56 CAR).
Plus it would be nice to actually have a G36 in True Combat again after like 10 years, given that the logo still features the G36.

EDIT: Hah, and if you wanted to be mega spliffy, you could grab the logo of the 2 dudes armed with G36Ks and modify them into G36Cs... CQB, get it? :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:17 am 
Expert
Expert

Kil this sounds like a good idea :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:16 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

jussi wrote:
The best weapon seems to be the SR110 4x14 + MS390 combo. Pretty much ownage all the time 8) Even in the cqb_sample map. But BUIS better for first-time snipers i think.
I've watched cqb players starting with rec or mp5 then slightly changeing to "harder" weapons when they see they are better if handled right

Which is one thing I would like to see changed. As secondary weapon snipers should be allowed only a hand-gun.

O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:18 am 
Master
Master

My new #1 Suggestion is that Coroner continue to spell out, in no uncertain terms, the kind of game he's making, is not making, and does not want to make. There's no need to be shy about any of this, it's his time and effort, and there's a huge audience waiting that will enjoy what he creates no matter what. Having the Developer spell out a design direction has had nothing but a positive, constructive effect on forum discussion, has for the first time in a long time herded most discussion in a parallel direction (rather then arguments where everyone is taking exception to everyone), and inspired more thoughtful posts. +1 <3

Outcast wrote:
Which is one thing I would like to see changed. As secondary weapon snipers should be allowed only a hand-gun.

O

Yes, any 7.62 rifles is devastating (IRL and in-game when scaled realistically), especially fast semi-automatic flavors. Rather then have to resort to nerfing; suggestions like Outcast's that enhance realistic tactical specialization is a very positive way to go IMHO. These rifles are quite heavy with mounted optics, sniping furniture, and heavy barrels -- and while they can be fired accurately standing (i.e. for one shot), holding a heavy rifle steady is harder then some might imagine and should take more skill in-game then it does, as it would in the real world. As CQB has prone and limited positions of opportunity to snipe from that position, why not reinforce this very realistic capability and limitation the game offers, that will virtually require Snipers to behave like Snipers, and rely on their team more for support...

Coroner wrote:
Just to be clear. I never intended to lock sv_official forever. And I can also understand and enjoy that ppl like to modify CQB. But if you run modified public servers that still say "official" then this is really misleading and does damage.

Along those lines I do hope you implement something that differentiates 'Official Servers'. It's my opinion Tweety's maps (first) and yours (second) are some of the best developed for CQC Urban level design in terms of play-scale vs. visual scale, aesthetic realism, and interesting environments.

One of the biggest problems that plague 'Community Mapping' is the creation of 'Maze Maps' that while they can be aesthetically brilliant, reinforce Player map knowledge to the exclusion of new Players interest. The Tweety and Coroner maps have for the most part always followed excellent guidelines for offering excellent play in terms of realistic play-scale, tactical maneuver and cover, while remaining accessible to new Players, and minimizing 'map knowledge' exploit play -- making these maps good models of a level playing field for most Players...

Pet wish revisited: Even if the lean animation are never fixed (and I understand the MD3 animations are a tedious nightmare to work with that might not be worth the effort) at least remove the ghetto first-person weapon canting when leaning -- this is such a nono (and eye sore) that no trained Marksman of any stripe would do from any firing position, and is easy to fix.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:38 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Quote:
... As CQB has prone and limited positions of opportunity to snipe from that position, why not reinforce this very realistic capability and limitation the game offers, ...

In this regard I think it would be cool if one could "rest" your gun against map elements like windowsills or boxes. I think Red Orchestra did this, and it would add a lot to the realism aspects of sniping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:52 pm 
Master
Master

Yup, I was thinking the same thing, but it's more work that might not be welcome... I think it would also be nice if it had a time variable attached to it that a Level Designers could use to require a 'n' seconds to position weapon, to prevent it from being an exploit.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:43 am 
Master
Master

return to the former static spawn points, at least in tdm mode. Having the static spawnpoints promoted teamwork in the sense that you had to push forward if you didn't want to get overpowered by the other team. What I mostly see with the erratic spawnpoints is people camping to get easy kills, since there ain't no real reason to move, since that makes you more vulnerable and easier to spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:56 am 
Expert
Expert

I can't agree with you Eqpe.. Dynamic spawnpoints add variability to BC games and make the old and highly boring "3-hallway" map design useless..

Post subject: About low fps and Nvidia driver
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi Coroner, I'm returning to relate my experience of playing in a linux (Ubuntu 11.04) and windows (win 7 home) machine with nvidia card (7600GS AGP) and latest drivers. Actually, while the 0.49b overall performance of video is better than the CQB in Linux, the opposite occurs in the windows. Perhaps there was best optimizations for CQB in windows? I did not have so low fps in windows, I had about 40 fps (windows) in the most problematic places of map with regard to this in linux. I tried some small tweaks like turning off anisotropy filters and other tweaks that are offered by the Nvidia driver, but without success in linux. Apparently it's a driver problem that, perhaps related to the detection of 3D elements as you mentioned. Regards
Denner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:28 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Quote:
Hi Coroner, I'm returning to relate my experience of playing in a linux (Ubuntu 11.04) and windows (win 7 home) machine with nvidia card (7600GS AGP) and latest drivers. Actually, while the 0.49b overall performance of video is better than the CQB in Linux, the opposite occurs in the windows. Perhaps there was best optimizations for CQB in windows? I did not have so low fps in windows, I had about 40 fps (windows) in the most problematic places of map with regard to this in linux. I tried some small tweaks like turning off anisotropy filters and other tweaks that are offered by the Nvidia driver, but without success in linux. Apparently it's a driver problem that, perhaps related to the detection of 3D elements as you mentioned. Regards
Denner

Again, I'd like to point out that I never touched the ET engine. All observations can thus just be related such things like poly count and alpha blending. There was no optimization for anything from my side. I just benchmarked what is possible with a full fletched 6800 GT and higher. CQB doesn't specifically target super low spec systems and I will not sacrifice open maps and asthetics for 90 fps+ on all systems. In fact a 7600 GT might be slower than a 6800GT particularly with lots of alpha blending (grass, etc.) involved. Polycount is hardly a problem up to 70k-100k (limitations are due to missing vertex buffer objects), an aged laptop with a 7400 GO gets no problems up to 50k. The 7400 GO was my low spec system and also suffers from alpha blending. The only cure is to reduce screen resolution which also support the conclusion that it are fill rate limitations on the 7400 GO and also on the 7600, I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next