3. Current TC:E one 69%  69%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:11 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

RedRuM wrote:
May i make suggestion:
When you get hit your screen comes slightly darker, your field of view will slightly decrease. You see only small blood effect on screen and screen chokes . When you are on the cover littlewhile view starts to come more bright and FOV starts to increase more to normal. Blood is very small and last extremely small amount of time.

Notes: about fov change: max 8 units lower fov before dying. also brightness is half of the normal before dying. And hdr enhanced and corona super close. Recovery from full effect is about 8 secs fully!!!. 3 secs playable and 5 secs very playable.

This sounds sort of like how R6: Vegas 2 indicates damage. Except for a few major flaws (namely AI spawn-in and cross-hair, in my mind, a few physics things are weird too) R6:V2 was an amazing example of a very fun and playable "almost TR", especially because of co-op mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm 
Master
Master

Craterus wrote:
RedRuM wrote:
May i make suggestion:
When you get hit your screen comes slightly darker, your field of view will slightly decrease. You see only small blood effect on screen and screen chokes . When you are on the cover littlewhile view starts to come more bright and FOV starts to increase more to normal. Blood is very small and last extremely small amount of time.

Notes: about fov change: max 8 units lower fov before dying. also brightness is half of the normal before dying. And hdr enhanced and corona super close. Recovery from full effect is about 8 secs fully!!!. 3 secs playable and 5 secs very playable.

This sounds sort of like how R6: Vegas 2 indicates damage. Except for a few major flaws (namely AI spawn-in and cross-hair, in my mind, a few physics things are weird too) R6:V2 was an amazing example of a very fun and playable "almost TR", especially because of co-op mode.

Because the idea came from there 8)

Indeed its not true TR, i would say Action tactical realism.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Screen getting darker is IMO the best way to show getting hit somewhere else than head. If you get headshot then the blood splatter. Otherwise just gradually darkening screen (the more damage you get, the darker it gets) is good.

In Red Orchestra: Ostfront you get blur effect (or darkening if you set it to be it instead) when you're getting shot at. Not even a direct hit is needed, just bullets whizzing by. Though, if you're not getting actually hit, the effect is very slight. It makes covering fire make sense, as in games people don't fear the bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

did u actually all play with blood splatter ON in TCE ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:08 pm 
Master
Master

Never. But it looks cool. It just gets me killed faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:18 pm 
High Master
High Master

naabz wrote:
did u actually all play with blood splatter ON in TCE ??

Of course?
Why not?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:31 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

NO blood splatter on the screen! OMG no !!

uch..Why spoil in CQB what was the best in tce ? :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am 
Master
Master

This is one place where good game design and realism could meet; in the real world if you're getting so shot up that you're getting your own blood in your eyes, or your vision is tunneling -- you're as good as down. In terms of game design these visual affectations increase FHD (First Hit Decisiveness) making it more (unrealistically) difficult for the Player under fire to maneuver or return fire and counter; effectively abrogating skill...

This is one area of game design that can benefit from using DOF and/or blur effects with camera vection to emulate the proprioceptive effects you have as a real Operator, under fire, being hit.

Instead of cheap damage compass, and histrionic first-person gore splashes; why not a realistic effect that emulates proprioceptive sense of direction you get when when fired on in the real world that instantly informs you and makes you intuitively turn and focus on the direction your vest or helmet was hit from?

The simple effect of turning the camera in the direction you were hit from (and perhaps adding DOF focus), does what you intuitively do when hit by a projectile or spall, and is the exact opposite of bizarre fantasy Counter-Strike derivative 'Staple The Player Like a Bunny In The Headlights' affections we see in so many games that are neither realistic or particularly good game design...

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

I'd support the idea of a little blur/darkening effect. It could also turn the camera a bit.

For realism, I'd also change, that getting hit breaks your aim. TBH I don't think that you could still maintain steady aim after being shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:00 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

First off, blur is not possible with the ET engine.
Second, twitching the view, kicking out of aim and all this has been there in earlier TC versions. Q3TC was doing this and even had darkening and blackouts (at least in one version).
If my memory is right, the most of these damage effects were all removed because in the end they just make the first hit (might even be ping dependent) very decisive.
Therefore, in CQB I tried something that is irritating and restricts the view, but lets you still respond. This is more a game design decision than it has to do with realism.
Something that I might incorporate and that wasn't covered so far in other games is the delay between a hit and a damage effect. Without a doubt, there is no delay for head shots or damage inflicted at the head, but incapaciation by hits on other body parts can have a delay, mainly depending on the caliber. A delayed damage and damage effect would also allow fire response up to 500 ms after you are already hit deadly. Such a damage system could also portrait the different stopping power of different ammo types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm 
Master
Master

The camera effects in earlier versions of TC where random, and did not turn the Players point of aim to, or toward the shooter. Similarly all screen effects: blackout, tunnel effects, splatter are/where obstructive effects and the exact opposit of what I'm suggesting. Precise, carefully damped camera vection that turns the fired-on Players perspective and point of aim in the direction of the Shooter, perhaps using the 'free-look' system already in the game that could optionally snap back, will give Players instant, proprioceptive cues to reveal the shooter's position in a more realistic and timely fashion obviating FHD, rather then any fudge and blood which increase FHD.

The only reason I even mentioned DOF and Blur is because so many seem to like these effects, which are camera lens effects and have no place in FPS games as far as any science or my preferences are concerned. But if you have to clog up the screen with cartoon fudge, it might as well be an effect that helps the player spot his attacker like a DOF effect that focuses on the attacker, rather then a splatter of crap that obfuscates him unrealistically and increases FHD.

Delayed damage effects could also be very good; both in terms of realism and game-play, but are a bit counterintuitive in terms of realism depending on what you're hit with. By way of example damage from a 12g up close is typically a show stopper, but a ranged hit and some people don't notice anything but a 'hot' sensation for hours or until a visit with a Medic and the extent of the damage is revealed. Similarly large caliber jacketed ammunition at close range can make clean entry-to-exit wounds that do little in the way of damage, inflicting pain or slowing down a corporally trained Operator -- and smaller caliber hollow tip ammunition to the face from beyond what's considered the effective range of the round can stop someone cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Ok, I agree about too much obstacles will make the first shot the decisive one.
So now I think that we should leave one annoying screen effect, but does it really have to be blood splatter?
How about this:
It definitely is annoying, easy to use and should satisfy all ppl complaining about blood splatter.

About turning the point of view in the direction of the shooter, I think that's not a good idea. A simple example: two guys are shooting at you, one standing in front of you and the other one on the left. That would simply make the camera jumping around preventing you from killing neither of these guys.
What about rotating the camera a bit: around the z-axis (if you know what I mean) if you get shot from sideways, slightly downwards if you get shot from behind and slightly upwards for a shot from the front? Just make it slightly so it's easy to compensate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:05 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Possibly more like this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:50 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

Well, that would be perfect but since ET engine doesn't support blur....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

That's great...and perhaps is could be done without actual "blur" effects, just as an overlay? And of course it would be scaled with the damage you take.