All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 75  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 pm 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Some quick answers:

To lock sv_pure 1 and sv_official 1 in the alpha is indeed related to debugging.

Limitation to Bodycount is also for the first alpha version.

The higher GPU requirement is related to much more details (polys) and alpha testing (grass, etc) in the map. Particularly the use of alpha has high impact on older graphic cards but is required to have grass, bushes and trees in a map.

Regarding future maps, my plan would be to first upgrade some TCE maps. I would as well love to see something like MW2 Favela. Much will depend on taleted future mappers. I would tend to provide the map sources of all official maps, if the formerly involved authors will be ok with such a policy.

To lock sv_official in future betas would be an option if a mapping community evolves that shares map sources, accepts quality control and contributes to official community paks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

So.. you need mapping/texture creating help or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm 
Master
Master

Yes, I too would very much like to help out with the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:38 pm 
Rock Me, Amadeus!
Rock Me, Amadeus!

coroner wrote:
To lock sv_official in future betas would be an option if a mapping community evolves that shares map sources, accepts quality control and contributes to official community paks.

sv_official is a nice way to find official server in the browser but imho the worst decision ever (if locked) for 3rd party mappers, I mean how is one even supposed to develop a map when the mod is locked down?

keep the sv_official goodnes, but make it optional just like in tc:e

there'll always be servers like heros standard for people that like to play the same 5 maps all the time and there'll be custom ones.

The important part is to give choice :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 pm 
High Master
High Master

merlin1991 wrote:
coroner wrote:

sv_official is a nice way to find official server in the browser but imho the worst decision ever (if locked) for 3rd party mappers, I mean how is one even supposed to develop a map when the mod is locked down?

keep the sv_official goodnes, but make it optional just like in tc:e

there'll always be servers like heros standard for people that like to play the same 5 maps all the time and there'll be custom ones.

The important part is to give choice :!:

+1 on this.
The mappers have enough problems to get their work played/tested already. Also by supporting custom content makes it easier to test it by community, and that if something would make the content shine. Players always can search for bugs and such by just testing the map and it also would make releases faster thus helping people to stay playing this game longer.

The developers can make their own decisions, if they want to make the content official or not. I bet every mapper would like to have their work released as "official content" and would gladly listen game developers in their wishes/ideas.

Some custom TC:E maps, like oldtowne, northport by night, dedust, snowtown, villa2 and werk_ost should be official already.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

gonzo|Uncle Bionic wrote:
Some custom TC:E maps, like oldtowne, northport by night, dedust, snowtown, villa2 and werk_ost should be official already.

Ohh I hope you didn't mean that. Dust is REALLY not suited for TC:E (dunno about CQB). Villa2 seems kinda small to me. Oldtowne looks good on the other hand... well, most of STEALTH's work is awesome.

I liked werk_ost too. Sigma, Town&Metro, Vorort were great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:31 am 
Expert
Expert

Coroner, may I please request you allow unlock via console for sv_pure 1. I would like to have the option to add new weapon models if need be.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:23 am 
High Master
High Master

Are other "mods" possible with sv_pure 0?
Like dutchfix?
The community just can do so many things other than maps and other models too. Keeping the hackers away from servers is one of the most important things.

There are these slogans around, how was it... "For gamers, by gamers"?
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:15 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

make the 3rd party maps official? well if its re-designed, and if it looks as good as the official, than perhaps it can be official, but i havent seen 3rd party maps that look as good as the official one's, different textures/graphics,...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:07 am 
Master
Master

Dragonathan wrote:
make the 3rd party maps official? well if its re-designed, and if it looks as good as the official, than perhaps it can be official, but i havent seen 3rd party maps that look as good as the official one's, different textures/graphics,...

Well i havent played much 3rd party maps but i think varsovies 2 maps have proper textures :rolleyes: (the one from cod and garage)

But either way, i think we need little quality assurance here. If someone wants to put his model/map/sound/whatever it should be voted or checked its atleast decent.

There is some content which is realy good such as G36 with portal scope, revolver was interesting and GALIL (i asume it was by M@tilda :D ?) which is my all time favourite.

Some of those should just automaticly be in.

growing

getting stronger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am 
Rock Me, Amadeus!
Rock Me, Amadeus!

gonzo|Uncle Bionic wrote:
Are other "mods" possible with sv_pure 0?
Like dutchfix?

dutchfix will always work due to it's nature, since it sits between the engine and tc:e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 am 
Master
Master

People should be able to put whatever they want on their servers. You are not forced to join a server with custom content, it's a choice you make.
So please Coroner make it so that we can play with third party content :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think this issue is a bit touchy and should be thought out well by Coroner. Eliminating 3rd party content from being in servers unless its official will promote mappers, like myself, to learn more and hope to be good enough for an official release. Allowing 3rd party content freely will promote countless servers like we currently have in tce that no one joins. Heros the most standard/official server is practically always full. The giant customized ones, not so. Possibly allowing the option of 3rd party content with no ability to enter it to official settings will solve this issue. Also depending on how popular this game will become 'again' will determine if the 3rd party mappers will want to have their work be with the 'community paks,' which I take will be official in all aspects: featured on website, matches, leagues, cups, etc.

On a side note:

I'm not sure if you looked into this Coroner, but the server limitations should be checked again. Huge numbers in server slots causes unexpected lag issues while also not enough slots (OBJ) should be increased. 24 possibly. BC down to 28. CTF fine where its at. Also, any direct issues with "force aimed, force unaimed?" Fix/No Fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm 
High Master
High Master

|2oss® wrote:
Heros the most standard/official server is practically always full. The giant customized ones, not so..

I disagree. PirateBay and AK47 BC servers are always full, and they support more players too.

No quality assurance is needed at all, it is always the developer who decides what content will be official and what not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm speaking as of late Bionic. There are probably no more than 40 people playing throughout the day in all servers combined. Also PirateBay and AK47 servers are some of the laggiest servers in the game. Maybe its because that size is a factor? Your disagreement only validates that the servers 'use' to be full.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 75  Next