All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:21 am 
Master
Master

From Piney:
piney.: hey keX - would you drop by that http://www.truecombatelite.com/forums/v ... highlight= thread and tell everyone i'm unsure if i should get excited or not, and wish everyone a good day for me please? I'm unable to connect / register / recover lost password..

i hate he asked me to do it what a *I am a smelly a vagina*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Hi all,

thanks to Diane for that wonderful eye catcher on the main page :)
I am happy to see some of the old devs still around, Diane, Liq, and Lok would be great if we could get something like an internal forum again and have a talk.
On the other hand, similar to what Liquid stated, my spare time is also limited and I don't want to put unrealistic and high hopes. The truth is, however, that I felt like I have to get involved in modding again. During the last years, I've spent some time in unfinished inhouse projects, playing around with Xreal, looking into UrT bumpy, developing Cod5 Zombie maps for private LAN and was also getting quite far with a Cod5 Zombie mod. Once in a while it dragged me back to TC, however. Last autumn I started updating the TCE tree model with Lod levels and got fascinated how much you can do with that old engine on half way decent graphics hardware. I also wrote a tool to to convert Cod4 terrain (Cod4 Radiant has excellent terrain editing tools) to Q3/ET map format and worked on an expanded version of the old hideout map. You don't get pixel shaders of course, but with some updates of the maps and, most importantly, the view weapon, graphics like in Cod4 with all modern effects turned off are possible. Gameplay wise I would like to change TCE to be actually fun playing (for me at least) again.
What I did so far in this direction is a revision of the weapon loadout and weapon selection to be more accessible. AA is gone and you get simply get 4 slots to customize your character. There are six unique primary weapons per team, meaning they really serve different purposes. You can spent your slots on upgrading primary and secondary with either Aimpoint/Eotech or supressor/silencer. Alternatively, you can take a single grenade with you (HE, stun or smoke) and you can select a maximum of three abilities/perks. As an example it could be Aimpoint for the primary weapon, one stun grenade and two perks, summing up to 4.

Cheers,

coroner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

hey,

cool stuff.

I think there are many lessons to learn from our old stuff to ensure easy development and to reduce strain on level production and art requirements by being smart about the game mechanics. also in terms of usability requirement of the actual product and improving the ease with which you can run a game online.

i think the direction to go is with more team deathmatch oriented game types and levels, and facilitating many different choices in play style by offering an improved inventory model.

historically there are a few discernable playstyles of which some are really not encouraged in the game design but are interesting and should be recognised.

i also think the player-to-player interactivy should be expanded. and focus should shift away from realism in places to make the game more playful without losing the TC:E feel (ie. going back to the Q3TC train of thought).

ps. btw this is not a plan or commitment, just throwing my 5 cents into the wishing well ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:56 am 
Master
Master

Quote:
i think the direction to go is with more team deathmatch oriented game types and levels,

I don't agree there at all :(. Obj is the gamemode that allow tce to still have players. All the people posting here having idea and thoughts are those from the "obj community". Bc maps are for the record easier to make (seems like it atleast)

Quote:
and focus should shift away from realism in places to make the game more playful without losing the TC:E feel

the way it is now is good and by making it more arkadish it would just be another game, it wouldn't be tce. [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 am 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Liquid wrote:
focus should shift away from realism in places to make the game more playful without losing the TC:E feel

TCE realism is this TCE feel for the most of players today, losing it will end TCE imho :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

i think the core gameplay of TC:E is as realistic combat simulator, and I wouldn't change that (still speaking entirely hypothetical here). in terms of the first person combat experience I think the game does really well, but it is also lacking variety.

the basic concept of TC:E is an old-school arena based shooter with additional features that appeal to a more hardcore audience. I think that's part of the game's charm but therein also lies the problem. the round based objective game type is real nice where split second decision making means win or loose, but it's also a gametype with a tremendous learning curve which excludes large parts of the target audience due to its unforgiving nature.

i think a major error of judgment we made during developement was to focus too much on objective based gaming and we didn't properly facilitate the much more popular tdm mode. there were no levels tailored to capture and hold style gameplay wihch could have a much broader appeal.

also, tdm based gaming doesn't exclude objective based missions. i'm just speaking in broad terms; moving away from round based gaming as a focus. i know the importance of round based design for the hardcore clan community, and i also acknowledge the importance of having thriving clan communities and competitions.

ultimately i think the challenge for a mod like this would almost be less a focus of balancing the game design but more balancing the game package in a way where casual players can still make their way onto the servers. something in earlier versions of the game we were much more succesful with (i remember having 700-1200 players online at any point, that was massive).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

Great to see the old team alive and kicking!

Liquid wrote:
i think the direction to go is with more team deathmatch oriented game types and levels...
I believe the only way to achieve this is to make it deathmatch. The community has "developed" the gameplay to a point where obj virtually already is team-deatchmatch with timer.

Liquid wrote:
... and facilitating many different choices in play style by offering an improved inventory model.)
Sounds great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm 
Rock Me, Amadeus!
Rock Me, Amadeus!

Bully wrote:
Liquid wrote:
i think the direction to go is with more team deathmatch oriented game types and levels...
I believe the only way to achieve this is to make it deathmatch. The community has "developed" the gameplay to a point where obj virtually already is team-deatchmatch with timer.

Sad but true, last week we (C22) managed todo our first fw since months and in 20 rounds of obj the bomb was planted maybe 3 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:29 pm 
High Master
High Master

welcome back guys

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
http://www.youtube.com/user/GONZOUncleBionic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm 
Master
Master

This is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:20 pm 
Master
Master

Guys be pragmatic : MODers' life do not belong to us nor TC:E, it is as it is.

The weapon management plans sound good.
The improving plans sound good.

- Now here comes a question, most of the complains went to hitbox, is there a way to improve it ?
- Your plans are turning around the ET engine (which provides Punkbuster support) ?

We wish you good luck, and i'm sure we are already expecting too much ;)
So patience and friendship must lead us all :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

personally, my life was going fine knowing that tce was finished, and that the bugs and all the shit things about it couldnt be fixed. all I ask is, please don't promise stuff and don't deliver, and please try not to make it too "noob friendly" - a game like tce, as with any old engine game, is now played exclusively by a competitive clan community. do some testing with people that have extensively played tc:e, Im certain there are things about the current build that will go unchanged without your being informed of them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:21 am 
Marksman
Marksman

just dropping by to say: thx for making this great game

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 am 
Master
Master

This whole realism talk is kinda weird TCE has always been an action realism game meaning it always had those arcadey elements with the realism to make a the game fun. If you want realism go play Swat 4 or something that game is a bitch you can't effin shoot bad guys unless they aim at you and such you can't flippin you can't jump. In all honesty I would be happy with an update that just changed glove textures or added realistic poo to toilets anything really placed shootable ducks or pumpkins. Realism is great in games to an extent and TC:E has been the one game that has found my favorite balance between"realism" and "arcade" action. If there is a possible update take your time hell waiting any longer isn't gonna hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 am 
Groove Six Studios
Groove Six Studios

Regarding some negative comments like "WTF, first you disappear, then you come back and promise things ..." I'd like to say:

Firstly, I just felt like I wanted to share that I digged out TCE again and I am working on something, no promises and I don't want to put high hopes. Probably some ppl are interested, for others it appears I better should not have shared anything.

Secondly, just as a sidenote, this is a mod me and others did in their sparetime and if life puts constraints things have to be dropped, at times in a nice way, other times the ugly way. If ppl can't understand this, I suggest to go and make an own mod. One that is actually going to be published and ever has 1000 players online. If somebody succeeded, come back and we can talk. Sorry, I have to say this straight.

Finally, I want to make clear that I don't promise anything, not even that I ever get so far to publish anything. I started working with TCE code again for private LAN parties. Then I though I could share this, maybe somebody out there would be interested. I also want to make clear that I am not working on 0.50 with goals from years ago. For many of the original game design directions I now pretty much agree with what Liquid shared here (thank you) and independently had the same thoughts. That's why I said that I am working on a TCE "mod", termed CQB.

Anyhow, there might be ppl out there that could be interested, even if it takes another 2 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 75  Next