Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:33 pm 
Master
Master

Yup, see my Thread On Offenseive Handguns on the 'Official TC:E Forums'...

:arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:46 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

those who know dem_dusklike2. What I do there is jump on the unsuspecting enymy from a ledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:35 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

lol, I've done that before. I land on them with a knife and slash their head, usually killing them.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:32 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

But for me, I land on them with my gun firing, I then turn and kill the next guy, and a third guy after that without reloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:50 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

lol, if there were that many below me, I'd cook a nade and kill all three to preserve ammo.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:53 pm 
Master
Master

I know some players really love to knife -- but if you want realistic knifing in a game -- it's very difficult to kill a man quickly with a knife, especially a man with body armor, a helmet, and a rifle that he can bludgeon you with that has much greater reach then a knife.

Realistically knifing should primarily be a stealth tactic that requires you to hit very small and precise targets... With the current animation you should need to hit someone precisely in the neck... With a more elaborate and realistic animation that offered both stab and slash moves you could offer a very high damage (but not lethal) single strike to the lager target of the lower abdomen slash hit -- as well as precise stab strikes to small area of the neck front and back.

I personally like the idea of realistic high lethality one shot kill and single knife strike kills but they should take enormous skill, and realistically small hard to hit targets and practice to execute.

Precise and realistic stealthy knife killing via very small hit boxes can work very realistically in MP games as both players are typically barely moving or moving very slowly so time nudge of a small strke area is less critical, and when the players speeds up it adds very realistic difficulty in getting an effetive kinfe strke...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:41 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

isnt under the arm and around the lower torso just below the ribs are very vulnerable points of knife attack when your not wearing armor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:49 am 
Master
Master

Yes that's what I wrote -- but you're not going to kill anyone by stabbing them in the, shoulder or arm pit -- if you could even do it...

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:49 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Well, most of the armor we have today can't be stopped by knives. Kevlar may stop a hollow point but not a knife.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:51 am 
Master
Master

That's incorrect... And Dupint Kevlar™ is not even the modern Amamid used in most of the best modern body armor...

:!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:58 am 
Forum Master
Forum Master

It also depends on the knife.

I recall a polymer fiber knife that can pierce most metals and pierce just about any type of kevlar and shock plates if enough force is applied.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:34 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

why use a knife, the m16 can accomodate a bayonet, plus you get the extended reach of the freakin long barrel. makes a good melee weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:34 am 
Master
Master

Yes if driven by 2000 Psi of compressed air on a test bench with nothing backing it and offering resistance; a kinfe can be made to penetrate Dupont's Kevlar product...

But modern Aramids like Spectra Shield will even stop AP ammunition -- no less carbon fibre awls on test benches driven by many thousand times the force a well traind man can drive a knife with... It's takes less force to drive a knife through a modern ballistic helmet then improved Aramid body armor now days -- try that at home kids!

The current U.S. Marines issue body armor by way of example is made wtih Spectra Sheild or improved Aramid -- not Dupont Kevlar wich is nearly thrity years old...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:46 am 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

those are things that cant be simulated ingame or it will all be pathetic. The reson why you can get killed in America's Army is because they dont simulate armor realistically. If they did that not of those weapons could hurt anyone. and everyone will need to take shots from the face. But if armor were to be simulated it would force players to take careful aim at the right places, especially with limited ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:37 am 
Master
Master

XenoKiLLer wrote:
those are things that cant be simulated ingame or it will all be pathetic.

There are two premises to your statement:

1. that it can't be simulated or modeled in game -- is just patently untrue; it can, and it's not difficult.

2. that it would be "pathetic" -- yes perhaps to lovers of arcade fantasy action games like Counter-Strike; but to Tactical Realism Fans that are looking for more realism it's exactly what they're looking for. There will be three game-types mods on TC:E remember CTF, Randmo Spam Death-Match, and a Mission Mode; each of these will have different metrics to suit it's crowd.

XenoKiLLer wrote:
The reson why you can get killed in America's Army is because they dont simulate armor realistically.

Uh, what? They don't "simulate" armor in AA at all... They just have a crude and simple HT damage model...

XenoKiLLer wrote:
If they did that not of those weapons could hurt anyone. and everyone will need to take shots from the face.

Don't know what you're trying to say here -- is English your first language?

XenoKiLLer wrote:
But if armor were to be simulated it would force players to take careful aim at the right places, especially with limited ammo.

Yes, that's correct it would... Are you saying that more realism in this regard is bad...

Regarding my previous post I was mixing up names of some of the modern Arimids with Olefin Polymer products -- DragonSkin is the more recent Arimid, but most modern armor uses composites of different fabrics...

Here's a demo video of DS SOV™ armor made by Pinnacle, one of the contractors for the U.S. Marine Corps -- this armor has no hard plates... That's elveven 7.62x51 (.308) rounds fired hitting the vest at nearly ideal range of just 15 feet to reach a maximum velocity of over 2,800 FPS... There is no penetration what so ever -- and the DS/SOV armor has withstood even more rigerous tests then this...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next