Please donate to keep this site alive!

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interview with Liquid
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:32 am 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

In our attempts to familiarize the community with members of the TCE development team, we've interviewed Liquid from Team Terminator.

Liquid has played an active role within the True Combat community since 2001 and has since then contributed a lot of great content.

To read his interview and to see more pics of what he is working on, click here.

Some eye candy below (I love the tractor!):

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:31 pm 
Forum Master
Forum Master

Has True Combat really been in development that long?

Damn, I commend the work that is being done then. It's obviously not easy to make a mod as great as this one.

~Silentcrisis

/Dragonathon

TC:E/ET username = Silentcrisis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:09 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

mods are easy to make, given they have a good team, with plenty of time on their hands, TCE has like 5 active team members, my mod team have 25 active team members and they have Kids and Work ontop but they still work their butts off. and having schedules which support their daily routines. I find TCE being more relaxed etc, 'dont have time' 'i have a life outside the mod' 'school' 'wife' 'girlfriend' 'kids' are all bad excuses, if you have kids / wife then dont be in a mod team. imo TCE shouldnt have been released yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:19 pm 
Team Terminator
Team Terminator

kamikaze wrote:
I find TCE being more relaxed etc, 'dont have time' 'i have a life outside the mod' 'school' 'wife' 'girlfriend' 'kids' are all bad excuses, if you have kids / wife then dont be in a mod team. imo TCE shouldnt have been released yet.

Most team members are doing this as a hobby. Like most hobbies, real life takes priority.

I think you are being very harsh. You're basically assuming that no one with a life should be on a mod team. Mod teams don't support anyone financially, so that's a little unrealistic to expect anyone to devote their whole time on this. Maybe it would be realistic for lil kiddies who have no bills/lives/live in parent's basement to give the attention to a mod you desire, but it doesn't always work out that way.

A lot of these team members have been doing this in their spare time for no personal gain for over 4 years... real life included.

It peeves me when people don't understand this concept. I just feel like shaking them and telling them if they want that level of professionalism, don't play mods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:00 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Thanks for another Interview! I always enjoyed reading them. Liquid did a great job and dem_ersatz is one of my favourite maps. District's textures and the new color tone mapping is making it appear pretty impressive. What a tractor... :lol:

PS: Time is a bitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:29 am 
Site Staff
Site Staff

Hmmm.. I recall several PROFESSIONAL games whos release dates have been pushed back up to SEVERAL YEARS and those guys were being paid for it. Guess since TCE doesn't have a million dollar PR spin machine it's harder to convince people that work is being done. I respect any mod that doesn't go defunct and close its doors- a common fate amongst mods. It's a damned hard "business" and to get people to consistently submit work is even harder.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:04 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I don't have the knowledge nor the talent to work on such a huge project like tc:elite, but "PC-Work" is a very time consuming process in general. Hours are nothing and I guess you have to sit there for weeks, to get results of such a quality. Hint: TC:Elite is now being worked on for 3 years (with planing and all - if I am correct).

The only sad thing is, that if you turn off your PC, then all your work is gone. Everything you have been working on doesn't "exist" anymore! Since they got not paid and work on virtual entities, it is just reasonable, that they need to set priorities. If you would only work for the modification 24/7, then you would be burned out, you would have no money and your circle of friends would suffer from it... In short: They work hard but avoid the excess.

The clash of interests derives its origin from the internet itself. The WWW is always available, which is causing that the user wants to experience an update everytime s/he connects to the site. This attitude is very poor, because what is the user doing? All he want to do is consuming and letting other people work for free - for him/her!? Thought the slavery was abolished, no?

Also the release policy is more complex, than the average 12 year old pimple-face can think of. It needs to be system-oriented, your work has to be well-engineered and you need to feel that it is the right time to do so. Releasing beautiful renders and screenshots is a nice thing, but no one has the time or the iron will to do so, since the sense of pleasure would only last for a few days.
After such a release it just gets boring and the users would want more (creatures of habit, anyone?). That's why you need to concentrate on the basics the workload itself. If you want to release something one day and have time-limits (RL = Real Life, yeah the time outside your little PC) to do so, then you need to set priorities in terms of the project and related efforts.

If you just want to pimp your work, with beautiful pixels, then it is doomed to failure already. Therefor you need to actually work on the content! Making a screenshot or other stuff may sound like a 1min timeframe, but rendering models, finding the right angle of a map resp. : getting a quality picture, is quite a lot of work too, which an expert can't be afflicted with.
Putting that much effort into something which just satisfies the end-consumer for 1-2 days is just not worth it.

TC.COM reflects this sort of view. Look at the site. It is simple and causes less traffic, than a lot of other mod-sites. It does the job, that they think is important, nothing less, nothing more.

Behind all this is a more or less plan. They have the knowledge, the experiences (tc:q3) and the willing to achive something big and no weisenheimer of the community needs to tell them anything in connection of these terms. Also 99,9% of all glorious suggestions are things that the team is aware of, they also make lists and cross out stuff, which would not be realizable.

Game-design is a very difficult job and you need to work meticulously to be successful. Hint: How much games exist? How much of them make fun? What is the average frame of their product life cycles? - Yeah, you can fail at every turn.

All this flaming would just cause that they would have no forums anymore, if they are going to work on another project one day, before they release something big. If they would start a new project and learned their lesson, then you could end up in being able to download an early testversion (if the decide to do such a thing one more) and just have a very simple form to submit bugs. Hey, that would actually work pretty good with spamfilters, which would delete messages, with certain words for instance, immediate.

This is just the way I have experienced it. Maybe I am wrong also...

PS: A thorough clean-up would do well her. It smells already :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:02 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Im trying to get the clean up done asap, but it isnt going easy as 20 new posts come in everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:12 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

you need to remove flame post's immediatly,
theyre the reason why evrything go off-topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:22 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

*reads Traumahawk's post*
*looks at duke nukem forever*

I can wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:41 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

cant do anything about that until I get things sorted first. The only way that will happen is if you guys would just send me a list of your threads that you want deleted or saved. Not you dragon, you already send me a list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:13 am 
Marksman
Marksman

Diane wrote:
kamikaze wrote:
I find TCE being more relaxed etc, 'dont have time' 'i have a life outside the mod' 'school' 'wife' 'girlfriend' 'kids' are all bad excuses, if you have kids / wife then dont be in a mod team. imo TCE shouldnt have been released yet.

Most team members are doing this as a hobby. Like most hobbies, real life takes priority.

I think you are being very harsh. You're basically assuming that no one with a life should be on a mod team. Mod teams don't support anyone financially, so that's a little unrealistic to expect anyone to devote their whole time on this. Maybe it would be realistic for lil kiddies who have no bills/lives/live in parent's basement to give the attention to a mod you desire, but it doesn't always work out that way.

A lot of these team members have been doing this in their spare time for no personal gain for over 4 years... real life included.

It peeves me when people don't understand this concept. I just feel like shaking them and telling them if they want that level of professionalism, don't play mods!

yea i agree wit ya..and i definetly appreciate what they have done for us and is continuing to do for us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:43 pm 
Pwnzer
Pwnzer

Quote:
It peeves me when people don't understand this concept.

Something can be done about this.. Post a thread about the team and how they started, make it overly dramatic that itll make some people around here slow down when asking for requests.[/quote]