All times are UTC

Post subject: Your dream come true : TCE + ETXreal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:13 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Hi!
I'm surprised no one mentioned it before, maybe I'm missing something obvious but well...
This is basically an open-source modified ET engine that answersCoroner's requests... and much more.

As a reminder those were Coroner's requests:

Quote:
*add normal and specular map support check
*add deluxe map/radiosity bump mapping support check
*add blur post processing effect GLSL renderer; some post-processing effects already included
*solid compile on win/linux/mac check/check/fail
(*optional: add zfeather)not that i know of

Those are some features of "ETXreaL":

* Modern OpenGL 3.2 renderer with all deprecated OpenGL calls removed
* Clever usage of vertex buffer objects (VBO) to speed up rendering of everything
* Avoids geometry processing each frame using the CPU (worst bottleneck with the Q3A engine)
* Renders up to 500 000 - 1 000 000 polygons at 80 - 200 fps on current hardware (DX10 generation)
* Optional GPU occlusion culling (improved Coherent Hierarchy Culling) useful for rendering large city scenes
* Doom 3 .MD5mesh/.MD5anim skeletal model and animation support
* Unreal Actor X .PSK/.PSA skeletal model and animation support

* True 64 bit HDR lighting with adaptive tone mapping
* Advanced projective and omni-directional soft shadow mapping methods like EVSM
* Real-time sun lights with parallel-split shadow maps
* Optional deferred shading
* Relief mapping that can be enabled by materials
* Optional uniform lighting and shadowing model like in Doom 3 including globe mapping
* Supports almost all Quake 3, Enemy Territory and Doom 3 material shader keywords
* TGA, PNG, JPG and DDS format support for textures
* Usage of frame buffer objects (FBO) to perform offscreen rendering effects
* Improved TrueType font support that does not require external tools
* Linux 64-bit support
* Linux sound backend using SDL
* .avi recorder from ioquake3 including sound support
* Optimized collision detection routines
* Support for Omni-bot
* GUID system to generate etkeys which are sent as cl_guid

I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!
By "trying it", I mean compiling the code and running the game on my 5-year-old piece of junk, and getting better fps than on standard Enemy Territory... As a bonus, the sound system is also rewritten so no more sound issues on Linux!

I tried running TCE on it, and it also worked. However the game seemed to be expecting normal maps, and seems to handle some shaders and/or transparency differently. As a result, TCE looked buggy, but I guess it's just a matter of rewriting the materials and creating bump/normal/specular maps for the game. But still, if we got to work and created those files, it would mean a huge engine overhaul without rewrite! All the games mechanics remain untouched!

Some pictures demonstrating bump mapping, cvar-modifiable rim lighting, bloom, simple post-processing. Please mind that they were taken on a quite weak computer, and don't demonstrate some advanced features like real-time world lighting and (soft-)shadows, or HDR enhancement:
those are all in-game shots, no outside color correction/modification

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageHere you can see all the problems TCE face on this engine: missing textures and transparency issues

I'm not sure whether it would be enough to rewrite the materials/shaders files and update the textures, or whether the maps need to be recompiled...

More pictures in the galleries

ETXREAL SOURCE CODE + COMPILING INSTRUCTIONS + COMPILED BINARIES (windows+linux, both 32 and 64 bits)

What do you think people? Much more straightforward than a start from scratch, and the same gameplay mechanics we grew up with! ;)

Post subject: Re: Your dream come true : TCE + ETXreal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:34 pm 
Master
Master

I was and still am watching ETXreal engine closely and while it does have some impressive features, it's unfinished and unstable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

I've had no crashes with ETXReaL despite playing around with all the rendering options, but it's true that it's not perfect - had some memory leak issues. But it happens with other engines :

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/937439-Pretty-huge-memory-leak-issue-in-November-UDK-(Update-also-February-also-March-)

http://community.activision.com/message/204176904

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995750-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/61270426/682162712

Maybe a good first step would be to work on getting a stand-alone version of TCE based on ET Legacy, and once this is running smoothly, get to work on bump mapping, post-processing, skeleton-animated models, etc... ? I would be in if other people are interested - and if Coroner/Team Terminator agrees of course !

By the way ETXreaL supposedly supports Unreal PSK/PSA models, so maybe we could eventually blend Caesar77's models into it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:25 pm 
Master
Master

Am I the only one ever that thinks rim lightning actually looks quite shit in many cases?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:02 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Haraldzz wrote:
Am I the only one ever that thinks rim lighting actually looks quite shit in many cases?

My first reaction was "yuck!", so no, you're not the only one. However pretty much all modern engines use it, and when tuned properly it can actually look good (basically when you almost don't notice it's here at all :wink:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 am 
Expert
Expert

Paul, did you fix the missing texture prob already ?
Mostly (on other engines) that's because there's no material assigned or the
texture can't be found by the engine(wrong paths).

If you need something that creates material maps from original texture hit me up.

I don't know how much you know about DirectX/OpenGL programming, but sure could
come in handy. Maybe it's not a bad idea for a standalone CQB to use certain elements
of the ETXreal engine that are stable (like materials) and leave the rest out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 am 
Master
Master

Nice to see someone still working on this, My self and GERM! already had a good mess about with ETXreal using both tce and cqb and the only real issue was sky and bullet impact (shaders). cqb looked very good running on ETXreal - we used only stock maps and from what we could see the only thing that would be needed was just shader work, but that is just for a straight port of tce/cqb to etxreal. There should be some screenies on the forums somewhere if not i will see if i can dig up or put together the files...