All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:39 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Moocow wrote:
/ On a side note the friction values for nades on surfaces is too high as it is, there should be far more "slide" factor as nades tend to just stop dead.

True, I have managed to get many of the rotten bastards actually stuck against the side of a crate, floating in air like a pissed bee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:40 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Moocow wrote:
/ On a side note the friction values for nades on surfaces is too high as it is, there should be far more "slide" factor as nades tend to just stop dead.

That's true no matter what angle you toss them. Almost like a "beanbag" effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:41 pm 
Master
Master

Some Flahs-Bangs are wrapped with two sided sticky tape, or come covered in tar like crap so they don't slide, or bounce all over hell, and instead go off in a more predictable location...

But I doubt the ET version of the id Engine actually has such sophistocated physics as "friction" -- coding this sort of thing is a super sized headache, and another reason for more realistic munitions in realistic quantities...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:45 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

hoak wrote:
Some Flahs-Bangs are wrapped with two sided sticky tape, or come covered in tar like crap so they don't slide, or bounce all over hell, and instead go off in a more predictable location...

Δ

Right well the point being THESE particular flashbangs, whatever make they are, aren't set up like THAT. When you expect a flashbang to take a certain trajectory after leaving your arm, only to have it nick a solid wall and fall a completely different direction (in my case, at my feet) it can be a bit off-putting to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:54 pm 
Master
Master

I think there are larger issues, ie. will the game have magic action/arcade explosive munitons that have the power and effect of consumer fireworks or will these be scale weapons that are in fact scaled to the rest of the game...

While I'd perfer the latter, either is fine, but without a clear objective design premise the discussion is moot...

Δ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:02 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

hoak wrote:
I think there are larger issues, ie. will the game have magic action/arcade explosive munitons that have the power and effect of consumer fireworks or will these be scale weapons that are in fact scaled to the rest of the game...

It would appear that since the aforementioned "arcade style" nades are currently in the game, that the choice was already made. Given that, I believe the discussion of what's working as it may have been intended vs. what isn't is pertinent.

I agree with an earlier poster that stated that the introduction of truly realistic HE and Flash nades would turn the game into a mosh of dead teamates and eliminate any and all strategic hiding/ambush points on the current maps. If one flash nade can successfully debiliate an entire room to the degree you have mentioned earlier then the essence of "fun" that is a fundamental requirement of most other "games" becomes mythical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:26 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

More to the point, although there seem to be new influences of SWAT in future TC encounters/environments (speculation) - are and would Flashbangs be used in Military Special Forces groups?

Especially when the predominant (alternative) objective is about killing the other side (it shouldn't be but usually is) and not freeing hostages or non lethal take downs?

Every time I want to flash I feel naked and vunerable so prefer to keep my weapon in hand (sniggers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:32 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Moocow wrote:
More to the point, although there seem to be new influences of SWAT in future TC encounters/environments (speculation) - are and would Flashbangs be used in Military Special Forces groups?

Especially when the predominant (alternative) objective is about killing the other side (it shouldn't be but usually is) and not freeing hostages or non lethal take downs?

Every time I want to flash I feel naked and vunerable so prefer to keep my weapon in hand (sniggers)

Flashbangs have an extremely useful function in Military Special Forces. In house to house combat situations they allow troops to move from house to house without getting blown to bits by waiting ambushees. In jungle perhaps such a device would serve a lesser purpose, but every TCE map i've seen thus far includes buildings with objectives either in them or directly around them, making the flash nade an integral part of the gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:33 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

hoak wrote:
talking to someone that admits he lies, trolls, lames games, cheats, is rude, and hostile is a waste of time...

Hey! Now you're being rude and hostile yourself. I might devote a big part of my life trolling and spamming your threads and in that process being rude and hostile, but I never cheat!

hoak wrote:
The way to type that correctly is "11", and I know you've managed more then that...

Only one. Believe it or not hoak.. or should I say caliban? Maybe dognose? No right, that was your sisters account..

Quote:
But you already pressed Mirage into service to turn NS:CO into a Counter-Strike clone

Yes, I turned NS:CO to the dark side, and its just a matter of time before TC:E also falls to my hands. Then I'll take Red Orchestra. And I wont stop before SWAT4 is a serious sam clone.

Quote:
and stay clear of their fourms and/or have already been banned.

I've never been banned from anything. Can you say the same? :wink:

Quote:
Wow, Dan is moving up in age in the Boy children

Can't we have a serious discussion about game design without you talking about Dans sexual preferences? You seem very interested in that. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:40 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

TheDamned wrote:
Moocow wrote:

Flashbangs have an extremely useful function in Military Special Forces. In house to house combat situations they allow troops to move from house to house without getting blown to bits by waiting ambushees. In jungle perhaps such a device would serve a lesser purpose, but every TCE map i've seen thus far includes buildings with objectives either in them or directly around them, making the flash nade an integral part of the gameplay.

Oh right - do they differ from SWAT flashes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:49 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Moocow wrote:
Oh right - do they differ from SWAT flashes?

I couldn't honestly tell you, having never utilized either myself. However, a bit of searching on the internet might yield the answers you seek. I simply can't be arsed at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:32 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

are we finished now with bitching in both directions?

lets continue with some real nice discussion about the game that maybe can contribute to TC:E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:45 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Can we get back on track again? We were doing so well! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:46 pm 
Marksman
Marksman

i found some interesting literature about games of the future:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:47 pm 
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Guerilla wrote:
i found some interesting literature about games of the future:

I see no point in the above two posts. Someone sniffing glue again?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next